What's new

Near finshed sonosub (1 Viewer)

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, after much procrastination I am nearly finished with the sub. I love the sound of it and can't wait to start another one.
Here are some pics of the almost finished project:
DIY SUB
My question regards the covering of the tube. I have looked at a couple of fabric stores and have not seen anything that really catches my eye. I did however see some black vinyl/ faux-leather looking stuff. I that might look pretty smooth. I have not seen any pics of anyone using that material as a covering before and was wondering if anyone had any pics to give me general idea of how it would look.
Thanks in advance.

Chris Keen

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

There's an upholstery shop off of Ben White in S. Austin that carries vinyl in various colors that have different "grain" looks to them. A lot of the auto custom installers buy their stuff here to do their installations. You could buy some from this place, and figure how much you would need to go around your sonotube. I would then take it to some place like Cecil's and have them use their machine to stitch it up making one vertical seem and two horizontal ones (top and bottom). This vinyl will have a stretch characteristic to it. You might play with it to see how much give it has at a given size, and then figure to have it stitched smaller and tighter than you think, and then when it stretches it will have a nice tight fit. Good luck.

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
There's a shop called Rod's Drop Shop (Car audio) that has lots of great fabrics for subs and other uses. Try them.

Also a shop called Silk Road on Lamar that has many strange fabrics. You may be able to find almost anything there.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Have you considered using carpet designed for car subwoofers? I have a local car audio shop that sells this stuff pretty cheap ~ a square yard for about $10.00. Paste some glue on, roll the carpet on and then cut the edges with a sharp razor blade. I think it would look pretty sweet.

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the ideas on this.....I am going to Houston this weekend and will see what I can find while I am there. The wife has already approved the leather wrap idea so I think I may go for it. Plus, if it doesn't come out like I planned its pretty cheap and easy to replace.

Pat,
"And it makes a great scratching post for the cats!"
If I had cats and they were brave enough to go to scratchin on it I would be very tempted to turn it up while running low freq tones. Its not that I don't like cats, I am just demented like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks