'Near Dark' - smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Skurow, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Allen Skurow

Allen Skurow Extra

Sanguine, sophomore effort from director Kathryn Bigelow. A film long held out by devotees as the linchpin of a once promising, then frustratingly uneven career catalog that includes 'Point Break', 'Blue Steel', 'Strange Days', and 'K-19 - T.W.M.' The irony here is that, perhaps like the lensor, this revisionist scenario of ramshackle 'rednecks' will always remain a near quenching, a vision on the verge. The result is artistry and artifice.

Kudos to Kathy on:

A) Ingenious genre transcention of the sauce sucker mythos. B) Clever scripting. C) An abiding sense of menace. D) A naturalistic plot trajectory, and E) The deft handling of a iconic/romantic centerpiece.

Pains in the neck:

1) 'Could've modulated Paxon's gonzo a bit (if he wasn't so much damn fun.) 2) A maddening, meandering sensibility pervades the weak first third. 3) With the exceptions of a nuanced 'Juliet' Jenny Wright (a break-out role) and an uneven Arian Pasdar in the lead, the rest of the canine cadre come across as stock, diabolical, flame fodder (nice work by the effects unit.) 4) The usual plot holes/inconsistencies/truncated logic are in abundant supply (a given in B movies, frequently providing the fulcrum between a good and great film.)

So, will there ever be a Bigelow bellwether for the faithful? Well, while the twin indie bugaboos of time/budget constraints may have played a role in Near Dark, these are only supplanted in the Hollywood structure by market pressure and committee interference. Based on her track record, she hasn't yet seemed to reconcile either dynamic.

So, while there may be spray paint and tinfoil on these windows, the sun is coming out...

2. Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman Second Unit

Brent Bridgeman
    The superfluity of copious terminology in your vernacular is singularly amusing. I'm still not sure if you enjoyed the film, but I'll defend your right to umm... criticize it to the death![​IMG]
    My mini-review: Me like.[​IMG]

3. Dave Kalloch

Dave Kalloch Stunt Coordinator

Allen and Don King-separated at birth?[​IMG]

4. Allen Skurow

Allen Skurow Extra

Only in America could I not post a pic of Don King as my personal photo here. [​IMG] 'Interesting reactions to my post. Check my 'Metropolis' and 'Rebecca' reviews in the movie section and let me know what you guys think. Maybe I need to temper the lingo a bit...
    Regards,
    Allen

5. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Good work Allen, somebody finally wrote a thread that forced me to re-read it several times. You are a tribute to the english language, and Hollywood should employ you for script-writing purposes (So we don't get another Bring it on).[​IMG]

7. Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman Second Unit

Brent Bridgeman
    Allen, I don't know if I'd temper the lingo, it's actually kind of fun to read (I wasn't criticizing earlier, just giving you a friendly poke in the ribs). Are you intentionally spicing it up, or do you just have a naturally overactive vocabulary?

8. Allen Skurow

Allen Skurow Extra

Many thanks to all who commented on my review/s. They are a labor of love.

9. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou

10. BarryS

BarryS Second Unit

I saw this movie a while back. I found it a very interesting twist on the usual vampire mythology. Very entertaining flick overall. I liked the idea of rugged, vampire badasses who travel around in a van and get in bar fights. It's so far removed from that romanticized Anne Rice crap. Lance Henriksen is awesome as always here. Bill Paxton was impressive as well, following up his turn as a young punk in the original Terminator.

If there's such a thing as a "vampire western", I think Near Dark is it.

11. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    And most importantly Near Dark reunited three actors from Aliens,
    I'm not saying who.:p)