NEAR DARK - Poor Audio Quality??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonRH, Sep 16, 2002.

1. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

I just received and tried my copy of this dvd and the audio on both Dolby tracks (don't have a DTS decoder so I haven't tried that option) is very hollow sounding with echoing during dialogue. Has anyone noticed this? I know it's very unlikely but is it possible I got a bad copy? I'm not sure of the budget of an older film like this but I can't imagine that the audio should have reverb like what I'm hearing. Any ideas?

2. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I just watched Near Dark this weekend in DTS, and to me, the dialogue and front channels sounded very clear and accurate. No echoing was heard. Surround and LFE activity was minimal except during musical passages.

A nice soundtrack considering the low budget type of movie this is...perhaps you had some type of DSP mode turned on on your receiver?

3. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Mike,
    Thanks for the reply. I don't think I had anything enabled on my computer settings that would add reverb like that to the movie. All other movies play as they are supposed to on my set-up. Unfortunately, I don't currently have a tv to try my regular dvd player. The movie just sounds hollow - mostly during dialogue - like it's being watched in a empty concert hall or something. The rest of the sound seems normal. I wonder if it's possible that I got a screwy copy?

4. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Sounds like your playing it back without a center channel. Try playing it back in stereo. My copy played fine in Dolby 5.1.

Good Luck

5. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

I noticed that voices seemed very very low at times, I found myself having to turn my system up past referenance level just to hear them....That is my only complaint.....I was using DD 5.1....haven't watched it in DTS yet...

R~

6. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Turns out my computer had it's sound settings changed to desktop (2-speaker mode) for some unknown reason, while I was using a 4-speaker config. I changed it back to quadrophonic (I have the Logitech Z-560 speaker set, without a centre channel) and tried the movie and most of the echo was gone, however, the dialogue still sounds hollow.
    Thanks for the replies. Knowing that the sound should be better helped me discover my own mistake. Thanks again. [​IMG]