What's new

Neal Morse Leaves Spock's Beard and Transatlantic (1 Viewer)

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I am shocked. Both Spock's Beard and Transatlantic are wonderful bands.

Boy, that God calling him stuff is freaky. I didn't know he had become a religious zealot.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. I'm not an enormous Beard fan, but I do like them. Kind of reminds me of Marillion and Genesis, how they lost the most influential key member when they were really at the top of their game (in my opionion).
I also think Marillion and Genesis went in the toilet within a couple of years of the transition, but I know that my opinion is not shared by all. :)
I wonder when somebody will quit a band over becoming an atheist or agnostic. :)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Holy shite! :eek:
Funny how they said they band is planning on recording a new album. That's pretty quick right after losing the lifeblood of the album.
I'll still listen to what they do. A good band is a good band.
Well, all the best to Neil.
Michael, check out Marillion's last album, Anoraknophobia. It outclasses a lot of the Fish stuff.
NP: Yes, House of Yes, DVD

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Michael, check out Marillion's last album, Anoraknophobia. It outclasses a lot of the Fish stuff.
To put it in perspective, I don't think a lot of the Fish stuff has held up well. But I don't care for the later stuff either, in general.

I'll look to see if I can find a couple of cuts from the new Marillion album.

As far as Genesis goes, I am strongly of the opinion that they only had 2 good albums in them after Gabriel left. Though if it weren't for Duke and Abacab, I never would have found the old stuff. I think 'Foxtrot', 'Selling England', and most of 'Lamb' hold up very well to this day. The only other 'old prog' that holds up as well is King Crimson.

All my opinion, of course.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Michael,
I pretty much agree with you about Genesis, though I do listen to the later stuff. It's still decent pop music, I just think the Gabriel stuff is infinitely better.

It's because we have very similar tastes that I mentioned the new Marillion album. They haven't always been consistant, but the new one has much more in common with Radiohead and well-crafted rock than anything Fish-like. It really is a completely different band.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but I'm not dismayed at all. My lack of love for Morse is somewhat-well known, though.

I'm curious if that's it for Transatlantic, or if Portnoy will bring LaBrie on over.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>I'm curious if that's it for Transatlantic, or if Portnoy will bring LaBrie on over.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Portnoy already brought in someone from DT for a side project- Liquid Tension Experiment.

Transatlantic is a nice side project, but I'm not losing any sleep over it. Spock's Beard, however, is another story.

To play optimist, maybe they'll bring in some other songwriter of equal talent but who will bring something fresh to the table.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I'll look to see if I can find a couple of cuts from the new Marillion album.
Link Removed
Funny how timing goes -- I'd just downloaded Transatlantic's Bridge Across Forever from emusic.com and was listening to it on the way into work yesterday. Then I get there and read this. Huh.
I know not my own powers...
Ryan

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Just thought I'd revive this thread after listening to Transatlantic for the first time. Being an enormous DT fan, I don't know why I waited so long. I've been listening to Stranger in your Soul and All of the Above constantly. It's so cool -- it's like hearing a brand new combination ELP/Tull/Yes album.

Too bad they're done!

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Yep, both Transatlantic cds are great.
Discovering Transatlantic and Porcupine Tree in the past year has revitalized my love for finding great new music in the most unlikely places (not on FM Radio that's for sure ;) ).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks