What's new

ND: Yet another beautiful victory! (1 Viewer)

KyleS

Screenwriter
...and really guys, I don't mean to bring you down, but Michigan was vastly overrated.
No different then ND getting offers to go to Bowl games they should have never been offered. Would have been in their best interest to not go and save face. Thats one thing I always respected Lou for is that he wouldnt play a Bowl game if he didnt think the team was worthy... He wasnt in it for the money but IMO for the love of the game.
KyleS
Oh yeah GO DUCKS :D

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I still have a hard time accepting the fact that Notre Dame gets special treatment over any other college in regards to NCAA football.

They go to a BCS bowl if they're in the top 10, right? That's not necessarily the case for any other school.

They received a contract with NBC to air their games; no other school has done this as far as I know.

Could someone elaborate on this?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Notre Dame could sign the contract with NBC because they are an independent -- i.e. they are not a member of any conference. All other schools are members of conferences, and all those TV contracts are negotiated by the conference, with the members sharing the revenue equally. Notre Dame is the last of the major independent schools, since Penn State, FSU, etc. joined conferences.

Notre Dame's TV contract is the main reason that they turned down the Big Ten's invitation to join the conference. The Irish do not want to share all that revenue with 11 other schools. The Big Ten would like to add a 12th member, and Notre Dame is the natural choice due to program size, geography, existing rivalries, etc.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
They received a contract with NBC to air their games; no other school has done this as far as I know.
Scott is correct in that the reason ND can sign its’ own contract because they are an independent. Equally as important is the fact that ND is the only college football program that has enough of a national appeal that a network would want to offer them a TV contract.

That is not a slam against other school but just a simply marketing reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks