NCIS Season 1 isn't Anamorphic?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ChrisCook, Jun 4, 2006.

1. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

I'm hoping someone could clear this up for me. Sitcoms Online has their review up for "NCIS", and in their review they list the video as 1.78:1 Widescreen (NON-Anamorphic).

While looking through TVShowsOnDVD, the site has Season 1 as 1.78.1 Anamorphic Widescreen. Strange as the recently released "The 4400" Season 2 (as well as Season 1) and "Numb3rs" Season 1 are both enhanced for 16:9. While these are also listed on the back covers, "NCIS" doesn't mention anything about being 16:9, so why is CBS releasing this series in non-anamorphic?

2. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

It's anamorphic. Here's a screenshot from the opening of episode 1:

[​IMG]

Gord

3. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

Thanks, Gord.

It looks like they dropped the "Navy" from the original broadcasts. I was hoping they would keep it.

4. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I'm glad they dropped the Navy... It was a ridiculous addition forced upon the creators to begin with. I mean, if you read the whole thing out it becomes "Navy Naval Criminal Investigative Service".

I'm glad the set is anamorphic. I'd already ordered without checking and it was too late to change my mind.

5. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    I have this on order as well... and I am looking forward to revisiting the first season. I am also glad they droped the Navy from the name... Navy NCIS never did make much sense to me.

6. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

Definitely anamorphic on my copy. Makes a change from the TV broadcast here in the UK where both FX (who have 1st run rights) and Five show it in 4.3

I do however have one question about how it is broadcast on US TV.
    When shown on TV here in the UK there are a couple of seconds of black and white footage either side of each ad break. These seem to be missing on the DVD, it just goes to black at each ad break point with the b/w footage missing.
    Which correctly reflects the US TV broadcasts ?

7. RoryR

RoryR Stunt Coordinator

Is that on FX or 5?

I know 5 attach 'bumpers' to each show, not sure what they are for NCIS but for example 'House' gets a slow motion shot of House walking with a cane before going to ad break - I imagine its just those?

Or maybe the distributed attached them to where the UK ad breaks would go?

8. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

I don't know about season 1, but currently the B&W footage is in place on US standard definition broadcasts. I never really thought about it before, but don't they show the same footage on each side of the commercial break? That would be somewhat redundant on a commercial free presentation. (Sure, they could show it once, but guess they decided not to do so. (?))

- Walter.

9. Bill_Nolan

Bill_Nolan Agent

The few seconds of b&w footage is the same at the beginning and end of each show segment, not each side of the commercial break, so you get to see the last couple of seconds of each segment at the start and the end of that segment. It's an interesting effect, and it would be disappointing if it were somehow dropped from the DVDs. Of course, I didn't start watching until season 2, so maybe they didn't use that is season 1?

- Bill

10. Malcolm Cleugh

The black and white footage is definitely on season 1 as Five in the UK are running it at the moment and they are showing it but it is missing from the DVD hence my question.

I have never really noticed what it actually is as its only a couple of seconds and as I never tape the show I have never slowed down that segment to see what it actually is.
    I can see the point that the b/w bookends each part of the show as you also get the b/w at the start of the show.

I guess the reason why I notice this is on the UK first run broadcasts on FX they only have 2 ad breaks in the hour slot.Therefore for the mid point of the episode ad break they dont actually stop the show for ads. Always thought it odd you switch to b/w for a few seconds and then the show continues in colour.

11. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I remember the B&W intros as being an addition that came in season 2, at least on the US broadcasts.

12. Bryan Toth

Bryan Toth Stunt Coordinator

Yep .... they didn't start doing the black/white intro/outro shots until season 2 (at least here in the U.S.) I remember when season 2 started that I thought it was a good addition ....

13. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    The few seconds of B&W footage, accompanied by a dramatic musical "sting", show a dramatic moment, usually from the end of the upcoming act as a kind of teaser. I only started watching the show with season 2, so don't know if it was used in S1. In the U.S. this is an integral part of the show, not some add-on or filler.

Conversely House just fades out and cuts to commercial in the U.S. without any stock footage "bumpers"

Regards,

Joe

14. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

First off, I am happy to see that Gord's screen shot was taken on a Macintosh. [​IMG]

Secondly, I have become a fan of this show. I started watching during the second season and have found the shows to be consistently good and the cast to be very likable.

I really enjoyed watching the third season's two-part finale on TiVo last night.

Donald P. Bellisario (who is something like 70 years old) continues to crank out fun shows.

I'll be getting this set on DVD (which'll mean starting "yet another" collection...)

15. Malcolm Cleugh

We may not have too long to wait for Season 2.
    Paramount in the UK R2 according to some etailers are releasing S2 on 4th September, which seems rushed as they are not releasing S1 here until 24th July.

It does look though that they are trying to get S2 out before the new season airs in the US I guess as a tie in.
    TVShowsonDVD reported that Paramount were planning this for Numb3rs so it looks like they may be doing the same for NCIS (although it will be a season behind as S2 and S3 are still to be released).

16. Katherine_K

Katherine_K Second Unit

Paramount seems to be good about releasing things quickly as long as they are decent sellers. It wouldn't surprise me if NCIS and JAG get released every four or five months.

17. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Reminds me of Harlan Ellison's famous rant against the network executives who tried to interfere with the making of The Starlost, back in the '70s...one of them insisted on the writers using the term "solar sun," to which Ellison retorted that it'd be like someone describing their living space as a "house home." [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

I guess they were trying to avoid confusion with the "CSI" properties...

A number of people I know actually prefer "NCIS" to the various flavors of "CSI."

I have the set and watched the pilot episode. Donald P. Bellisario's commentary is good. He reveals some interesting factoids and information about the show and the various characters on the show.

Typically, I get "high-concept" shows like "24" and "Lost" on DVD.

My wife and I really enjoy this show. The cast of characters is very likable and there is actually a nice offering of humor in episodes. Plus, the writing is really decent on this show.

It's a good show. It really has grown on me the last couple of seasons.

19. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    I got my set in the mail yesterday... so far I watched the pilot episode (Yankee White) twice... once with and once without the Commentary on... and I agree Donald P. Bellisario did an awesome job! I hope he does some more for future releases. And I watched the second episode (Hung Out to Dry).

I am really enjoying revisiting season 1 again. Bring on Season 2! [​IMG]

20. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Unfortunately they didn't drop the Navy from the title, as it was still there when I watched Yankee White last night. At least it's a brief flash before the longer NCIS that follows, but it would have been nice if they had dropped it for the DVD release. Oh well, I've got 22 more episodes to go and watch!

P.S. The commentary was generally very good except for about half of it which was duplicated in the interviews in the extras. Shame on TPTB for recycling!