What's new

NCAA Football 2007 Season (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Glad to see USC ranked number 2 now, I thought our 6 rating at the start of the season was pretty silly. I've no problem predicting the national championship game will be Ohio and USC, now I'm looking forward to giving the cornhuskers a proper whomping at the coliseum. ON the the other hand, the last team to beat us at the coliseum was from the midwest, KState, four years ago in the 2002 season.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Karma's got it bad lately. Just can't seem to get his due. I felt a bit sorry for him when he related how the Bush's left town and didn't leave a forwarding address.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

I wonder how time was actually used up by the new rules. I would guess somewhere around 1-2 minutes. If Texas had been down by a touchdown or less with 6 minutes, he might have a point. As it stood, Texas had to score three times to at least tie the game. 6 minutes is a long time, but the way Texas was playing, I'm not sure Texas could've gotten it done in a whole quarter.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
With all the "hand-wringing" regarding the new clock rules it's pretty obvious that they'll be changed again next year. If, as Mack Brown stated, the clock had reverted to the old rules for the last two minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the game, I don't think there would have been *any* complaints at all regarding the new rules.

While I agree that the Longhorns would not have come back in that game even if they had had a quarter left, I see his point. With six minutes left they were forced to score quickly and then try on-side kicks the remainder of the game. The probability of recovering multiple on-side kicks is pretty low. Under the old rules if they had scored a TD with around 4 minutes left they could have kicked deep and played for a three-and-out defensive stop. Assuming they had at least one TO left they could easily have gotten the ball back with a good 90 seconds left in the game and, if they could score a quick TD on that possession, then a (single) on-side kick would have been in order with under 30 seconds left. Under the new rules, kicking deep to a team down by two TDs with 4 minutes left is tantamount to suicide unless you have all three of your TO's still intact at that point.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Of course, the more obvious way to get back in the game is to NOT FALL SO FRICKIN' FAR BEHIND IN THE FIRST PLACE. Mack Brown is not the only coach whining about the new clock rules. The coaches need to get over it. The games were way too long. New clock rules were needed.

James St

Supporting Actor
With instant replay I think most games will be just as long as they were before. Speeding up the clock will offset the time it takes to review plays. Without the new rules the games would drag on even longer.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

It's my understanding the Vols will have a few defensive starters out for the Florida game. For some reason, however, I still like the Vols here!!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
No love here for texas university ;) but I also see Mack Brown's point. Like Scott said, there are other coaches and fans not crazy about this new clock rule.

I agree the games were too long. Some of that was from the dang TV commercials which -especially- if you're at the game, really do take you out of it. I know the need for them....but it hurts the game some and certainly momentum.

Great weekend of college football:

Nebraska-USC
Notre Dame-Michigan
LSU-Auburn
Florida-Tennessee

& the biggie:

Texas A&M-Army in San Antonio ;)

Just kidding a bit. This AT&T Corp Classic is a sellout though :)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm convinced West Virginia can only beat themselves. They had a lot of stupid penalties and focus issues. But I don't think anybody but Louisville on their schedule can challenge them straight up.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

And here's hoping that the Huskers return to the national stage by beating the Trojans.

I'm not fully convinced that Callahan is the man to lead the Huskers but since he's there I hope for the best. It's high time that Nebraska returns to the elite of college football.

Oh, and Texas had the talent to beat Ohio State, but it was mismanaged. That RB for the Longhorns is scary fast, and if they'd had more faith in the running game they could have worn the Buckeyes down and won the game. Too often coaches and QBs get antsy and move away from a running game too soon.

James D S

Screenwriter
That's been the popular sentiment around here (Austin). We probably should have stayed with the run until tOSU proved they could stop it, which they hadn't been able to do all game long.

All the unforced errors, like the many dropped balls, didn't help much either.

Alas...

Jim_F

Screenwriter
37-14 so far. Wolverines are holding pretty strong despite some leprechaun tricks (phantom 1st down, missed face mask calls, etc.)

Haden keeps calling that 1st Quinn INT a "well thrown ball". It should have been caught, but it looked to me like it was high, no touch and behind the receiver.

My apologies to Chad Henne. I was ready to write him off after the first pick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks