What's new

NCAA Football 2007 Season (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Now I admit that I don't really follow college football, and might not entirely understand what I saw last night, but wasn't this supposed to be a meeting of the top two teams in the country? It looked more like a meeting of the top college team against a bunch of Pop Warner kids. "Great Pretenders," indeed.

And it's sickening that after that performance OSU is still ranked #2. I guess the voters must have gone blind and dumb from their ever-lasting hard-on for the Bucks. From what I hear during the post-mortem, they played a really fluff schedule compated to the Gators (and several other teams). Why is bullying inferior teams worthy of a #1 or #2 ranking?

Ginn Jr. getting hurt during an end-zone celebration was the exact opposite of "class," and some of his post-game comments are only reinforcing that point. Who's his idol? T.O.?

On the other hand, it was a blowout just like many of the Super Bowl championships. :D

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Regarding the 51 day layoff, if I'm not mistaken, hasn't Ohio State & Michigan nearly always played their game the weekend before Thanksgiving? The long layoff is not that unusual for OSU or Michigan.

Recent Ohio State Schedules:
2005: Last game vs. Michigan was November 19, 2005....Jan. 2, Won Fiesta Bowl 34-20 over Notre Dame.

2003: Last game vs. Michigan was November 22, 2003....Jan. 2, Won Fiesta Bowl 35-31 over Kansas State.

2002 National Champion Buckeyes last game was November 23, 2002.....Jan. 3, Beat Miam for the national title.

I have no love for the Gators, but Florida just whipped them in every way imagineable.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor

LOL, but this is how Nebraska won several national "championships" (popularity contests?), and I suspect a good deal of other teams as well. Keep in mind that NCAA football rankings are given, not earned...

Alex-C

Screenwriter
one of these days, I'd love to see a guy score a TD and then run for his life from his marauding teammates ready to injure him in celebration.
Run Away !
Run Away !

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
For Boise State, the end of an era, and a new beginning. We can no longer be a Cinderella team. With expansion of the stadium facilities and national recognition, the next rung on the ladder will be a worthy goal, but may not bring the satisfaction as winning one of the greatest college football games of all time.

Boise State ranked number 5. Our local newspaper sports editor Mike Prater also participates in an afternoon radio talk show. It will be interesting to hear how he voted the Broncos. All year he has been conservative and taken his rankings seriously. He should have nutted up and voted us #1 - he didn't.

The recruits that are coming to Boise may field a team in 2-3 years that is better than this team, but we have no where else to go. Playing in Pac-10 is a generation or more away, but a distant possibility as the growth in the area is significant and will generate a strong fan base. The Mountain West is becomming a bit more interested, but five years may be the most favorable time line.

For me, I'll just keep showing up a home games and "select" road games while enjoying a pleasant Saturday afternoon in the warm sun and mountain vista.

It is fun hearing all the sports commentators comparing games and plays to Boise State. As I was coming down the escalator at the Fiesta a polite Sooner fan complimented our team on our performance. I said to him "Oklahoma was there too - we all got to see the game of the ages."

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Pac 10 to Mountain West

psst, guys, we'll give you uhh... Stanford, yeah Stanford, if you give us Boise State... but just in football, you know... let us know... seriously, great trade, I mean, it's Stanford (!), big school, lots of money, perfect for you guys.

:D

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
The Miami Hurricanes would have been the 2002 National Champions if it weren't for a bad call by a Referee. Ohio State made a Desperation Fourth down at the last second of the game but Failed to make at Touchdown. However an Official called a Pass Intewrference which gave Ohio State an Automatic First Down. They then were able tio make the Game-Winning Play. Instant Replays showed no Infractions of the rule occured, but there were no "Coaches Challenges" then so the Call Stood. The State of Florida was denied that Championship, but there's no need to cry about it.

We wound up getting one H-E-(Double Hockey Sticks) OF A CONSOLATION PRIZE! as in the following year the State of Florida won:

1. The Super Bowl (Tampa Bay Buccaneers):D

2. The Arena Bowl (Tampa Bay Storm):D

3. The Miss America Pageant (Miss Florida):D

4. The World Series (Florida Marlins):D

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I think it's still something you can't challenge. Pass interference is determined by a judgment call, and you can't challenge it, at least in the NFL. I think it's the same for college football.

On the same play, I think one of the Miami players was holding a OSU player, so I think it balanced the bad call out.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I've been down on the SEC all year, and I absolutely hate that style of play, but they've got great athletes, a murderous schedule, and they proved that schedules often matter a great deal in terms of building character and realizing that every game is going to be a war. Florida clearly deserved it. Hopefully, other teams will stop scheduling cream-puff games and play teams that aren't a de-facto bye-week.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Bob Stoops, after living a full life, died. When he got to heaven, God was showing him around. They came to a modest little house with a faded Sooner flag in the window.

“This house is yours for eternity, Bob," said God. "This is very special; not everyone gets a house up here." Bob felt special, indeed, and walked up to his house.

On his way up the porch, he noticed another house just around the corner. It was a three-story mansion with a Blue and Orange sidewalk, a 50-foot tall flagpole with an enormous BSU Bronco flag. In every window, he could see Bronco fans. Bob looked at God and said, "God, I'm not trying to be ungrateful, but I have a question. I was a good coach, I won a national championship in 2000, 4 Big 12 Championships, 8 bowl game appearances including 5 BCS Bowls."

God said, "So what do you want to know, Bob?"

"’Well, why does Chris Petersen get a better house than me?"

God chuckled and said, "Bob, that's not Petersen's house, that's mine."

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Warning to Oklahoma fans: Please avoid all instances of Tostitos chips and salsa combination. Choking may occur.

:)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Well, with the way my Clemson Tigers finished the season, I can only say thank goodness this season is over, and bring on 2007. We got a bit of good news today when C.J. Spiller announced that he isn't transferring to Florida (imagine Florida's offense with that for a second).

Speaking of Florida, congrats to the Gators. I'd been telling everyone before the National Title game was set that Florida should get a shot because not only would they hang in there as well as Michigan did, but they would take down the Buckeyes to boot. I am shocked by how Florida manhandled Ohio State, though.

No way you go through Florida's SEC schedule like that and not deserve a shot at the title. I'm no SEC fan by any means, but I have to admit it is by far the strongest conference in CFB, especially this year.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter

And Florida barely beat my beloved Florida State Seminoles by 7 points. So in reality, we were only 1 TD away from being the best team in college football.

So close...

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Well ... If you're going to use that argument, what about my Auburn Tigers, who actually *beat* Florida? :)

Man ... It was a weird year for us ... We beat LSU and Florida, but were barely in our games with Arkansas and Georgia. Just goes to show how tough the SEC really is!

Still ... I didn't think we deserved to be ranked as low as 18 by the some of the final AP poll voters. It doesn't really matter, but how could Kirk Herbstreit and Chris Fowler, each of whom has an AP vote, not vote an 11-2 Auburn team into their Final AP Top 10? Oh, yeah: Because, as they both stated on the air, in their minds Auburn was a four loss team this year since they really didn't deserve to win either the LSU or Florida games. Huh?? I always thought a "win was a win" but apparently not in the minds of the ESPN crew!

Link to the final AP wire ballots:

http://hosted.ap.org:80/dynamic/exte...P&SECTION=HOME

BTW, for the record, the SEC Commisioner's office stood behind both of the so-called controversial calls in those two games. I guess Herbstreit and Fowler missed the memo.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

Well, almost . . . but then there was that little incident you guys had with Wake Forest :)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The reality is, rivalry games take on their own aura. No matter how the rest of the season goes, a rivalry game is almost always hard fought.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks