What's new

NCAA Football 2007 Season (1 Viewer)

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
"ND better bring their A game to Atlanta. GT is supposed to be tough this year, and you never really know what's going to happen on opening day."

If they don't this will be a long year with Penn state, Michigan, Michigan State, and finally USC. I think Charlie will have a much improved defense this year and I expect that our offense slows down for more ball control to keep the defense off the field more. Quite a few freshman will see playing time. My biggest worry is the kicking game!

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I'm just saying, as a Clemson fan, you never know what you're going to get with Tech. One week they'll look terrible and you expect to roll right over them, but once you play them, they look like world-beaters. Compound that with the unpredictable nature of the first game, and it's very possible ND will struggle with GT, but not necessarily those other teams. Realistically, I think ND will win a close game against GT, and I really think the only two games they'll lose will be USC and possibly Michigan State.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Any word on whether McFadden's going to play? Being a UCLA fan, obviously I have nothing but enmity for Papa Pete's Miami of the 80s re-enactment in SoCal. Luckily, the NCAA has started sniffing around. Unfortunately, since USC has a respected tradition, unlike Miami and FSU, they will probably go soft on USC. I can't believe how differently USC and OU handled their extra benefits violations. Stoops put the program ahead of the individual (and probably cost himself a legit shot at the title) in order to send a message and Papa Pete...well let's just say he handled it true to form.

To add insult to injury (in case there are any Bama fans in L.A.) our local Fox Sports channel just replayed last year's game where they were still gunning for TDs in the fourth quarter despite being up by 40+ points. Stay classy, Pete.

As bad as I want my Bruins to beat USC, I would gladly welcome our game being not their first loss, but rather their third, fourth or fifth of the year.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

And beating USC would do this Huskers fan's heart proud. What's sad is that it's very possible that NU beats USC only to turn around to lose to someone like an Iowa State or Missouri. Callahan does a good job if he's got time to prepare (and you better believe he's focusing his effort on USC) but he's average at best if he's only got a week to prepare.

James L White

Supporting Actor
I heard he's been doign some running, so maybe

any how with us breakin in a new offense, USC won't know what to expect :D Plus with them losing 94% (according to espn) of their O from last year, now is when they shoulg be ripe for a beating. I'm certainly glad we get 'em early.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Wait until you see the great TV coverage on the west coast. At least the Big 10 gets some games aired... ACC and SEC fans get completely hosed (Boise State vs. Montana St. over Miami / FSU?!?).

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
That's just when we play Clemson ;-). The GT / ND game should be interesting... hopefully GT is smart enough to just keep lobbing it up in the air for Calvin Johnson (I don't think ND has the corners to match up).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
F-Me! Here I am so excited that I got my new HD DVR w/ 80GB + 2 tuners, and now I find out it only records about 11 hours of HD. There's already 5 games I want to record this Saturday, 4 of which are HD! So it looks like I'm going to have to record SD on 2 or 3 of them and really be choosy about which to do in HD.

I need to put in a call to Time Warner and ask for the 160GB model...:cool:

Man I've missed College Football!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I haven't paid much attention to who's broadcasting NCAA games in HD this year, Carlo. Is it the same group of networks as last year -- ESPN, CBS and NBC (Notre Dame, yuck)? Is ABC going to finally broadcast in HD, too?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, good question Scott. It's showing in my HD channel lineup but it isn't guaranteed to be in HD. I know the other 3 are, but still not sure about ABC. Ironic since they were among the first to have most of their primetime lineup in HD.

But you just gave me a brilliant idea: since I don't know if they are in HD, I think I'll just record the 2 ABC games I want to watch in SD, and that should free up enough hard drive room to record the other games on ESPNHD--which I know will be broadcast in HD.

Who needs to see the Irish in HD anyway? And Oregon in HD would just make their unbearably ugly uniforms even more evident! ;)

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
I was highly anticipating the S.C. / Miss. State game only to be let down. Being a Gator I'm still a Spurrier fan and expected more I guess. I know it's a very young team but I just expected more.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

As was pointed out during the course of the broadcast, it's just really difficult right now to know if these were just two above-average defensive teams going at it, or if their respective offenses were really as inept as they appeared.

We'll know more about these two teams next week. MSU is hosting Auburn, while South Carolina will be playing Georgia at home.

James D S

Screenwriter
QFT

And considering the talent we have on the other side of the ball, McCoy gets to see what a grade A defense can do every practice. Gene Chizik can bring the wrath of God down on McCoy on a regular basis. He'll not face a stiffer defense in any game he plays this year than he does in practice.

Our offense, at every other position, is largely unchanged from last year (Thomas will be missed, to be sure, but his replacement should fill the void), so he has all the tools he's going to need, and the players around him that have the possibility to make up for any shortcomings from the QB spot.

Colt doesn't have to be Vince, he just has to be good. And that's something that's very attainable.

Besides, going into the Ohio State game as underdogs is EXACTLY where I want to be.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Carlo,
You sound like the perfect candidate for the new Tivo HD model. 6 tuners, 300 gig drive. The only problem is cost. It's not cheap. Still 30 hrs of HD + tivos are notably hackable = not a bad deal.

James St

Supporting Actor
Watching parts of the ESPN Gameday telecast live from the GT/ND game I couldn't help but laugh at all the funny signs in the background...

Every
Sucka
Picked
Notre Dame

"Brady Quinn's sister for heisman"

"Rudy was offsides!"

"Brady's sister likes the D"

"Calvin defeating catholics since 1509"

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Michigan's offense moved the ball well today, but looked very sloppy with untimely penalties and numerous dropped passes. Their defense looked impressive, though. They swarmed to the ball, just as new defensive coordinator Ron English promised. It's only Vanderbilt, so we'll have to wait two weeks in South Bend to see whether the Wolverines are really improved.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Cal is just getting SCHOOLED. It's just pathetic how badly they are getting drummed by a not-championship ready Tennessee team.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
hope USC keeps it up for the second half, maybe our kicker should be put up for a heisman this year. :) I was also enjoying notre dame losing for three quarters, but now they're ahead...

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Great game by my Auburn Tigers tonight! Going into the game I was a little concerned since we had two LB's suspended for the game, a third LB injured, and a (mostly) new secondary. And WSU averaged around 31 points per game last year!! But any defensive deficiencies we may have had were more than offset by the play of our tailbacks. Man! Do Kenny Irons and Brad Lester look fast this year!!

If the defense can come around a little I'm going to start to believe all the Pre-Season Hype surrounding my Tigers!!

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
speaking of Tigers, where's Brook?

decent season opener for USC, not the heights of last year, we're still finding our feet as a team but pete carroll's leadership and coaching philosophy will help carry the new team along as they improve on their playing skills in competition. We played well but not great, imo, we've got a tough season ahead of us, but we can still be there for the national championship, and I think it's definitely in the cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks