What's new

NCAA Football 2005! (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Dome, you just gotta take control of the DB manually, use Speed Burst to get in position, then Y to try and catch it. Usually you should have at least one additional safety deep, if the person you're playing is always going deep, use a 2-deep coverage, or zone him with 3 or 4 deep zone coverages.

You have to be really careful taking control of the DB. The first click will probably get you the underneath guy, which you probably don't want. Don't be pressing the D-pad/stick as then you will run off the DB in the wrong direction. Just press X (to get the closest guy). Press X again and you will probably be switched to the safety who should be deeper than the receiver. Use speed burst to try and get to the spot before the WR.

If all else fails: PI and take the 15 yards. :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Don't have a problem with the rule, but I don't like using the tactic.

Whenever I get called for PI (pretty infrequently) it's because we were both in position and are aggressively going for the ball, and the game gives the offensive player the benefit of the doubt. I've never committed PI just because I was beat and couldn't stop the pass.

I offered it as a tactic to Dome in the event that he truly has trouble defending the pass, it would be better to give up 15 yard chunks than 80 yard ones. ;)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've played a season and a half of this game and a few online ones.

Here is my overall impression: even.

For all the fun and improvements that come with Homefield Advantage and making the game a more realistic college experience, they sure went off the deep end on other things.

If your players are playing poorly, you'll notice their quality drops on the depth chart. If you play with a team that sucks to begin with, you're in deep trouble.

This game has two serious issues with it.

1. Way too many dropped passes. In real life, a bad game for a quarterback is completing barely over 50%. But in this game I'm completing 39% for the season. I can understand it when players drop passes when they get hit or when DB's jump thirty feet (an exaggeration I know but that's how I feel) into the air to swat passes. But when your halfback is in the open field or when a receiver is all by himself near the sideline and they drop passes? Give me a break.

2. Slowdown. Not a biggy for me, but EA's solution for the problem is rather irksome (switch from NCAA mode to Classic and use 480i).

I've played this game since the 99 version, and I can honestly say this is the only time I can think of where they've taken a step backwards. The running game has always been awesome (yes, I ran up the middle in the 99 version, and it works like a charm), but the passing game is just flat out horrible.

My deep bomb comment wasn't just me. Considering the completion percentage, it's actually in your favor to throw the deep ball. I played against some dude who used the same exact pass play and killed me. Three out of four times I was able to bat the ball away or tackle the receiver. But on fourth down (seriously, this guy either doesn't know football or he really despises punting) he chucked it into the air and got it for 80 yards.

So in short, the game favors the running game and the deep ball. So don't go in expecting to put up Texas Tech or Hawaii numbers.

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Dome,

since you've mentioned the issues with the deep bomb passes, I tried it out in my dynasty. And you know, I never knew it was easier to complete a 40ish yard hail mary than a 5-10 yard quick in or quick slant. That is definitely an issue with this year's version of the game.

This year more than ever it seems like they really rushed this title out the door without proper QA or even a decent manual. I'm still trying to figure out what some of the UI is on multiplayer (XBox version). Would it have killed them to put screenshots and explanations in the manual, or at least on their website? They had them in last year's PS2 version of the game, I guess they thought that was good enough. Maybe I should try for a QA or Associate Producer position at EA :)

Even with all these issues, I still have a lot of fun with the game. So it's not all bad. Just beat USC in my Dynasty with the UW (on the road even), nothing like taking down the #1 team.

A

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
One thing about shorter passes, you might try to lead the receiver a bit (use the d-pad slightly one way or the other when throwing) and *don't throw the pass too hard*. That's one thing I learned is that receivers don't handle short, hard passes well. Then, since you're leading them w/ the pass, take control of the WR and use Y to catch.

It's not foolproof, but your catch % will go up.

Dome and Aaron, would it be okay for me to add your tags to my Friends list?

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Carlo (and anyone else),

feel free to add me to your friends list. I'm not on live much, maybe a couple of times a week, but maybe we can get a game in sometime. You'll probably beat me up though, I don't seem to do that well against humans. At least not yet :)

A

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Carlo:

I sent you a friend request tonight, my gamertag is spubiga.

Anyone else with this game, feel free to add me to your friends list. I'm up for a challenge once in a while.

A

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'll answer it Aaron. Seeing as you're on west coast time to, maybe we can get a game in sometime.

Dome, I sent you a friend request too as Bruin96. Let's play sometime!

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I got you on my list, Carlo.

I'm in my third year of my dynasty, and man it's true to life in some respects.

No matter what you do, it seems like your young players never learn. During my second year for example, my WR #19 (junior year) kept getting into trouble, and I started to run out of discipline points. My program is on the verge of collapse. Now he's a senior and hasn't gotten into trouble.

But my linebacking corp and one of the D-Ends got suspended for three and five games respectively. And you know what? They still got into trouble later in the season after their suspensions ended! :angry: They're sophomores and getting into way too much trouble. I smell probation coming.....

Re: Short passes

I'll have to try Carlo's method (e.g. lead the receivers). I did try the take control of receivers bit, and it helps some, but only in certain cases. The deep pass is still favorable, but I'm getting better at curl routes. Corner routes are still a pain in the ass to complete.

I've finally completed my first 60+ percent completion game. One thing I've learned is to use every receiver. And even if your receiver makes a damn great catch for first down, if he gets tackled hard his composure rating goes down significantly.

And in spite of what those onliners say, the HB screen does work. If you take your time to watch a real football game, then that should tell you when to use them. But strangely enough, the WR screen sucks ass. Your line and blocker AI is horrible.

Because of some innate programming, the receiver pivots their foot to run outside after the catch. But I usually turn it inside to take advantage of the block. This causes a strange ass stutter step that freezes my ball carrier, and I end up losing three yards. It seems like the game is forcing you to take it outside the screen.

In short, I suggest using HB screens and drag routes (when the WR passes the line of engagement) to build up your composure and completion percentage. And contrary to real life, only throw the curl after the receiver curls. I've always thought you were supposed to throw before the curl (you know it's coming, but the DB doesn't) but hey, gotta take advantage of those video game mechanics.

But when your 60 yards down the field, you better catch that bullet. :D

I love to run the option or a balanced offense, but just once I'd like to run Texas Tech ball and put up "Playstation" numbers.

I recently purchased this game. I had the 2003 version which I though was the greatest game ever. I think the running is improved in this one. I really have to bust my butt to get yards. I'm averaging 5.2 yards per carry, which is very realistic. However, the passing is terrible. I played the 03 version a ton, and I could complete 80 percent of my passes. In my last game in the 05 version I went 3 for 21, and one the game on a 50 yard hail mary. That is the only hail mary I threw for the game. I really feel like the passing game needs MAJOR tweaking. I still absolutely love the game, but I'm completing about 35% of my passess for the year. I try to run a balanced offense, but its hard with the passing the way it is.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I looked for you guys (Dome and Aaron) last night but then me and my roommate got caught up in a game of Counter-strike and played that until the waning hours :D

Yes passing is a bitch, and in '03 and '04 I could complete between 60%-70% at All-American level. Now I'm lucky to be at 50%.

I still run a balanced offense, I hate the option (might have to do with my hatred of Nebraska ;) ) and can "open it up" with 3WR formations.

I pass much better vs. humans than I do vs. the CPU at AA level.

Next three nights are nasty for me, but some time on Sunday I'll log on to Live again and see if anyone's up for some football! :)

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
I've found that I am completing more passes when the receiver is calling for the ball(waves his hand). Of course, if you are being blitzed, this doesn't help much, but when you have protection, it seems to work well.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah but unfortunately calling for the ball thing doesn't always mean the receiver is right. A few times I've thrown a perfectly timed pass (i.e. the receiver is still calling for it vs. throwing it too late) and a guy playing zone zips in there and decleats him. And he drops the ball.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I can think of several games where the receiver waves for the ball..... and doesn't catch it because it bounces off his hands. And 2 out of 5 times it's a lob pass.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I quit. I've done everything all the onliners say, and it's not making a difference. I thought it was all player problems.....until I realized that even the computer was having the same results.

I used to be one of those guys that throws the ball 50+ times in a game, but I've had to switch to an option offense to accomodate for the shitty passing game on '05. Even then, I'm still having players drop wide-open passes.

Frankly, I think the programmers put way too much emphasis on bullet passes. I had a receiver streaking up the field, and he was wide open for a pass. On the fifty yard line, I launch the ball. Of course, the ball bounces off the receiver's hands, and I'm told I need to take heat off my passes. WTF?

But I'm not the only one having problems. The computer seems to be dropping wide open passes too.

Just to make sure I wasn't smoking anything, I played the 97 All-American team against Vanderbilt. Explain to me how in the hell a DB who is 5 inches shorter than Randy Moss can all of a sudden use the Force, detect the ball without even looking back, jump into the air, and bat the ball.....on the way down from the jump? Or how Randy, one of the best receivers ever, can drop two wide-open passes in the endzone. No safeties and no linebackers so there was no possibility of a tackle.

I'm thinking of getting this game in for credit and getting KOTOR. Anybody else getting frustrated?

P.S. Yes, I run the option, but even Crouch and Vick completed half their passes!

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Hey guys, I've been playing this game, and even with its obvious worts, its pretty sweet. One thing a friend and I are wondering is what happens "long-term" with recruiting etc. When you play a team in a non-major conference. I went to Iowa so I always play as them and he's a huge ND fan. With either one of those schools its easy to begin winning B2B2B2B2B..... championships within a few years. However as a lark, I started a new dynasty as Army (not very far in, but 3-0 and had shut out 18th ranked Louisville). What I'm wondering is when and how will I ever get a NC bowl bid? And how will recruiting work with a school like Army (obviously its completely different in the real world since the players must attend the school (duh :D) and thus enroll in the army which is a big reason why the military schools suck.

Has anyone done this?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure to be honest. I'm in year five with Kentucky, and I've come to accept that I'm never completeing 70% of my passes.

Recruiting is strange. I had hardly any prestige during my first recruiting year yet I got the number one class in the nation. Years later with full prestige and coaching prestige, I barely crack the top fifteen in recruiting.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Aside from the passing and recruiting has ANYONE EVER blocked a punt in in 04 or 05? My coworker and I have logged hundreds of hours between the two games and have neither blocked a punt nor even seen it happen. There are always teams out there with good special teams units that block several punts a season yet I never see it happen in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks