What's new

NCAA Football 2005 Season (1 Viewer)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I would say in a majority of cases, the boosters are the ones causing the problems without the University's knowledge (look at Alabama). Doesn't stop the NCAA from pouncing, except of course if you are Notre Dame or one of the "good" schools.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It's a double edged sword: sure boosters cause most of the problems...but they also cause most of the benefits for their schools. After all, a large, and giving booster base is what gives larger schools a competitive advantage.

As such, it is incumbent upon the University to educate both the boosters, and the athletes (and their families) of the rules, and enforce them. Ignorance is no excuse for law breaking. The only way to keep these schools, boosters, and athletes in line is to actually come down hard on a (or several) major universities who have committed infractions. Too long the biggies have felt secure, knowing the NCAA wouldn't really come down hard on them (woe is to the mid-major who commits violations, though).

From what I understand, Bush is basically free and clear in any regard outside of potentially having to give the Heisman back. And really, will he care about that after he's making millions in the NFL?

Also, Bush's family is under no obligation to cooperate--outside of a moral one. This is not a criminal investigation. Most evidence in cases like this come because the athlete is trying to maintain eligibility, and thus provides cooperation. Bush is no longer an NCAA athlete. This is probably the best reason why USC will escape punishment. I'd say this has a 60% chance of happening.

If the Bush's/Griffins cooperate, or if despite their non-cooperation it can be proven that they did not pay fair market rent for a $750,000 house (the mortgage is estimated at $5500-$6000 a month so I don't know what you would rent that house for), then it is a violation, and Reggie is ineligible for all of the months his family lived there, basically all of the 2005/6 season. It will then move to the penalty phase, where the NCAA could (not would, but could) mandate a forfeiture of some or all games played in which the ineligible player participated. This is the "middle ground" punishment. I'd give this a 35% chance of happening (15% of actual forfeiture of games).

The worst case scenario would be if the NCAA investigated and found *someone* in the athletic department who actually knew about the situation and either didn't report it, did nothing about it, or worse, actively hid it. Should this happen, then USC would not only be facing penalties for using Bush during the season, but would likely face future sanctions--which may include scholarship reductions, probation, and/or a ban on post-season play. This is the worst case scenario, the hardest to prove, and the least likely to occur--I'd put this at 5% likelihood of being the outcome.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Reggie Bush trouble continues

Reggie Bush problems get worse. His family didn't pay rent. And they accepted free trips to numerous road games for USC, and apparently also received undisclosed financial benefits (cash) in traveling and living expenses.

This is basically the worst case scenario, and way worse then I imagined. If they had paid a dime, it would help them, but now not only did they not pay rent, they accepted other gives in the form of travel and money.

Well, not really go to jail criminal, but if the new stories are to be believed and they received financial gifts and gifts of value, they would still be obligated to pay taxes on them. And while tax evasion isn't a sexy, deadly crime, on the values that Michaels and others are talking about it would be enough for some to rattle the sabres a little bit. And at this point, the booster has film of them attending games that their tickets were covered for (on national TV) as well as apparently cashed checks, etc. etc. so now whether they participate or not, their is plenty of proof in the nationally broadcasted games where USC travelled (like ND) that Bush's parents where there.. and they received money and gifts to get there. So, them not participating now doesn't mean much when their picture on gameday says all that needs to be said.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I just don't think the government (or law enforcement) is going to go after them for tax on gifts. Sure, they could, but somehow I think they're just going to let this one slide.

Who is really going to suffer, if all of this is substantiated, is the university. When you couple that with the Sanchez affair, plus their history of players getting into trouble (cnnsi.com has a piece on this, and trust me, they are just skimming the frosting in that article, much more has come out in local L.A. newspapers), I think the university is under some danger of failing the "Institutional Control" that the NCAA holds universities accountable for.

Bush's scenario could, at the worst, result in forfeiture of games. Not really a big deal as fans (and recruits) know who won anyway. Not like a forfeit is going to erase the 66-19 drubbing they gave my school last year.

But if more comes out about a lack of insitutional control (and there are already loud whispers coming from sources like cnnsi and other sites) is demonstrated, the NCAA would have to consider forward-looking punishment, like reduced scholarships, limited recruiting, tv and/or postseason bans.

Still a longshot for that to happen, but the Sanchez situation isn't helping anything out, and is actually dredging things from the past back into the light.

I remember when all the shenanigans of player fights, dismissals, assault, ecstasy pills, sexual assault allegations, etc. were coming out the last 2 years and the L.A. media swept it under the rug and basically gave them a free pass. I told friends "they are getting star treatment because they're on top of the world right now, in the midst of an XX winning streak. But mark my words, the minute they lose a game and are no longer the media darlings, stuff will start coming out of the woodwork..."

They call me Nostradamus now ;)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Do I think the IRS will come after them? Probably not. Still, just saying that they could.. especially when the gifts are reportedly sizable.

I do think the university will suffer penalties, maybe a scholarship penalty, etc. under the "Institutional Control" guideline. NFL Radio is reporting this morning that apparently some USC staff members were aware of Bush's parents situation as they were noticable to USC staff at away games, etc. and had apparently worn clothes provided by the booster.

Situation just doesn't improve.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
This would be the iceberg that sinks the Titanic.

USC's best hope was plausible deniability. "We had no idea at all." At worst, there would have been forfeitures.

If it can be proven that even 1 USC staff member had a reasonable awareness of the situation and either 1) did nothing, or worse 2) actively hid it, that's where you have future-forward penalties like scholarship reductions, TV or postseason bans, recruiting limitations, etc.

I don't listen to NFL radio so I hadn't heard that, and I don't see it on the ESPN or SI websites, but if it turns out to be true and is proven, this could be a very very bad situation for USC.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
ESPN basically picked up on the NFL Radio lead:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2426429

Which points out that Watkins has receipts indicating he gave the Bush family $100,000 in Cash, and a value of over $300,000 over three years. (YEESH) It is also implied that USC officials may have been aware. And honestly, if Reggie's family moved into hot new digs and suddenly had a few hundred thousand grand laying around, how the hell could USC NOT notice?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Gets worse. Apparently New Era management may be under investigation by California and other authorities for illegal fund transfers and attempts to evade taxes on those transfers. I wondered when that shoe would drop. The rent thing would be hard, but if there were a few hundred thousand in cash gifts, I figured the moment that hit the press in would come the tax men.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
...oh wait, it just did:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/colleg...ports-coll-usc

Apparently Bob Leinart (Matt's dad) due to security concerns (avoiding autograph seekers) moved Matt and roommate Dwayne Jarrett out to a $3866 a month off-campus apartment. Matt paid $650, Dwayne paid $650, Bob covered the rest.

Problem is that Bob is officially a booster. So Dwayne cannot pay less than half of the rent. Estimates are that he owes Bob $10,000 for last year's rent.

UofA got nailed for a similar thing a few years back (with regards to a player's parent giving aid). It was something like Bill Walton had extra Laker tix and flew his son and best friend Richard Jefferson out to see it. Cost Jefferson 2 games in suspension. And that was nowhere near $10,000 in worth.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
For those following the trials and tribulations of R. Bush & USC, is it true that he will have to give up the Heisman and what possible punishment does USC face?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It's too early to say until an investigation is completed, Nils. The punishment could be anything from a slap on the wrist, to forfeiture of games by USC. Since the Heisman is not an NCAA-sponsored award, I would think that decision would rest completely within the Downtown Athletic Club.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Right now, the downtown athletics club is reviewing the matter. If Bush is found to be aware of any rules violation, the rules of the award would strip it from him. So they will wait to see what the NCAA says.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks