What's new

NCAA Football 2005 Season (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Hard to bet against USC. They really look unbeatable though.

Some initial observations:

OU's demise is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay oversated. They're still loaded and have an excellent game day Coach in Stoops. I also think they will continue their wins over Texas. They're not going away anytime soon.

Texas, while having very solid O-Line and D-line, is overrated. Granted, as an Aggie, I can't be objective...I just think without Benson in the backfield, Young will have trouble. Already not a good passer, this will cause some issues against better teams.

Tennesse manhandled A&M last year in the Cotton Bowl and they are LOADED.

Iowa seems to be getting alot of preseason love too.

My own team, A&M appears to be getting their swagger back but the road schedule is brutal this year. A&M is at Clemson to open the season, at Kansas State, at Colorado, at Texas Tech, and at OU. OUch. If A&M can establish a running game...watch out. McNeal is the real deal but like any QB, needs some help.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Buckeye fan here living in Maize and Blue country. :)

I think that Michigan-Ohio State will determine the Big Ten title again, but probably only for a co-championship since Purdue catches the scheduling break and doesn't play either team. I find it wrong that Michigan and Ohio State could play each other undefeated, ranked #1 and #2, and still possibly only play for a split conference championship.

On the other hand, Purdue could run the table and not make it into the national title game (which is the Rose Bowl)!

Until USC loses 2 games, they are the favorites to win it all.

I think Notre Dame will make some noise. There'll be a spark and hustle in South Bend that has been missing for the better part of a decade.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I definitely will not be complaining because of Purdue's schedule, especially since I'm an alumni. :D With the entire defense coming back, the Boilermakers should do well. Let's hope the new QB fires it up. Should be interesting in that he's a running QB and will probably see the option run.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Haven't you been deported back to Ohio yet, Zachary? :)

My biggest concern regarding Michigan is their defense, which has struggled the past couple of seasons. If there is not a noticable improvement this year, defensive coordinator Jim Hermann may be looking for a new job in the offseason. The Wolverine's offense should be potent, though. Braylon Edwards and David Bass are the only two notable losses from last year's team, and they have added some depth at running back behind Michael Hart.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Hmm. I wonder what Mack Brown is up to these days. I wonder if he feels at all remorseful for his shameful voting and lobbying for other coaches to engage in such from the end of last year. I wonder if he's gotten any ethics since then. I wonder.

Hey, the new coaches poll is out. Texas is #2. But the season hasn't even started. Wasn't Mack Brown bitching about these pre-season polls hurting teams that didn't start near the top. I'm sure being the ethical person he is, that he'll be complaining again, even though it helps him this time.

Damn, I did an exhaustive search, and I can't find a single article about Mack Brown being upset with the preseason poll.

Oh, I looked more carefully at the coaches poll. 2 coaches acutally put Texas at #1. Hmm. I wonder. One of them wouldn't be Mack 'Slimeball' Brown would it? The only real mystery is who he's bribed to vote along with him, and what kind of sleazy deal he made for that other vote.

The season hasn't even started, and I'm already completely disgusted with Mack Brown, a pariah on college football. He's to college football what Nixon was to the White House. A paragon of virtue. :thumbsdown:

Jason L.

Second Unit
Ahhhh, yes - it's that time of year again. When the apex of Autumn recedes into another fall. When fans, students, and alumni are alight with the hopes for their alma mater's football team.

Year after year, the University of Texas somehow manages a Top 5 ranking that they never, ever deserve. Stories are told ad nauseam about the "bumper crop" of new talent, about how "loaded" they are at each position, and this is "the best team ever". A National Championship is virtually assured.

They must forget the fact since 1971 [the year I was born] this football team has done absolutely nothing to warrant such standing. This is a team which has lost almost every big out-of-conference game they have ever played.

They must forget that they haven't been remotely close to a National Championship since the Bee Gees were at the top of the charts.

They must also forget the fact that this is the same UT that was scored upon virtually every time Michigan touched the ball in the Rose Bowl.

They must also forget the fact that they scored zero points against an Oklahoma team that USC rung up 55 points against.

Of course, they will start the season strong against such "powerhouses" such as New Mexico, New Mexico State, New Mexico A&M, New Mexico Tech, New Mexico-Santa Fe, West New Mexico, Ole New Mexico, New Mexico CC, and The College of the Blessed Guadalupe.

They won't have to worry about facing any real teams, because they play in a "super-size" conference, where they only have to play certain teams every other year, or every leap year, or when the moon is in the House of Gemini, or when it is the Year of the Rat, or something like that. I always thought teams in a "conference" played each other. That's why you put teams in a "conference". Hmmm, I guess I was wrong.

Of course, it will all come to an end one October day in Dallas. Oklahoma will make Texas look worse than their own backup squad, and Longhorn fans will yet again wonder in disbelief at what happened to their team.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Taking a break from their busy schedule of attempting to organize a national championship series, the NCAA has weighted in on politically insensitive nickname and mascots.

We need some new nicknames.

Florida State Seminoles. Politically insensitive - out

Need a new name to reflect the demographics of the region, the source of prosperity and political make up.

Florida State Snow Birds

Get a couple of students dressed as Grand-ma and Grand-dad Blue Hair and do a few cartwheels after each touchdown.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I think there's a big difference between a name like the Seminoles and a name like the Redskins. Unless Seminole isn't just the name of a tribe, but rather some sort of derogatory name that I'm not aware of. Of course I'm only 1/8th American Indian, so maybe I'm not sensitive enough to it. But I'm half Irish, so maybe I should be more upset with Notre Dame. :)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
The NCAA has overstepped their bounds, IMHO. The Seminoles are not only supportive of FSU using the name, but actually make a lot of money from it.

Furthermore, the NCAA is inconsistent in which schools it exempts from the ban. For example:

Who gives a rat's ass if American Indians comprise 20% of the student population? Does that mean no Native Americans are offended? (Which seems to be the basis of why the NCAA is making this stand.) And what about Notre Dame?

FSU is going to take this to the courts -- we'll see what happens. I think the NCAA will take the pounding it so richly deserves.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well the speculation seems to be that the most likely candidates to have joined Mack Brown in voting for UT #1, are his brother at UAB or Bob Stoops at OU. The thinking being that Stoops wants to do everything he can to get UT to be overconfident going into the shootout. Interesting if true.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Well, my beloved Virginia Tech Hokies begin the season at #7. Unfortunately, that ranking - and our season - rest in the hands of an unproven Marcus Vick. Some claim he's better than his brother after "taking a year off," but I'll believe that when I see it.

We tend to have trouble when we come into a season with a decent ranking, so I'm not overly confident going into this season.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

Yeah...I'm irish and am completly offended by the way they portray us....:rolleyes:
This whole thing about politcal correctness has gotten way out of hand.

RichardK

Second Unit
The Coaches poll is and always will be the 2nd poll to consider regarding rankings... Let's wait and see how the AP poll comes about. USC will be #1, but I'm curious to see where 2-5 shift around.

Jason L.

Second Unit

Oh, I hate Mack Brown just as much. It looks like that crybaby whore once again was successful in swaying [forcing] some good ol' boy voters in the Lone Star State to vote his way. He put on his high heels, fishnet stockings, push-up bra, lipstick, mascara, rouge, and got his knees dirty again.

The school will forever be an embarassment until they give back the 10 million in BCS money that they stole from Cal.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

That would mean something if Cal hadn't lost to Texas Tech. :) Of course, what happens in the Rose Bowl really doesn't bother me much. Like I said in the previous thread, they could keep a bowl structure and have a playoff structure for the national championship. That way, no out-of-conference infidels will infect the precious Big Ten vs. Pac-10 tradition of the Rose Bowl. :) But let's make this an end of the year topic.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member

I am actually excited for this year of KU football even though it looks as though we may have some penalties coming.

Our basketball "violations" were a joke, and as much as I hate to stick up for Ol' Roy, he was really railroaded by the current Kansas administration. The NCAA has even said publicly that those infractions should have been reported privately since they were really minor. Even pretending that Roy promised the gifts when he was recruiting, which I sincerely doubt he did, I doubt the promise of a $150 watch only after they graduated from KU was a real recruiting tool.

Basically there were two reasons for reporting that. The first was to get a little shot at Roy for leaving and the second was to overshadow the academic fraud our football program was involved in. I mean, look what made the headlines. Most people read the first paragraph about Roy and say, "well that was stupid" and move on without reading about all the bad things our football team was guilty of (and they are in trouble :frowning:).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks