NCAA finals to be in HD (1 Viewer)

Mike I

Supporting Actor
February 22, 2002
SEARS AND CBS TEAM UP TO BROADCAST NCAA MEN’S BASKETBALL
FINAL FOUR AND CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES IN HDTV
HDTV Coverage Expanded To Include First Round Action in Washington, D.C.,
And Kentucky Regional Site for Second Round
NEW YORK, Feb. 22 -- Sears, Roebuck and Co. (NYSE: S) and CBS Television announced today an agreement in which Sears will sponsor High Definition Television coverage of the 2002 NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship. This marks the third consecutive year that CBS has broadcast the Final Four in HDTV.
In addition to the Final Four Championship game, coverage will be expanded to include first round games at MCI Center in Washington, D.C., on Friday, March 15 (four games) and Sunday, March 17 (two games) and regional action in Lexington, Ky., on Thursday, March 21 (two games) and Saturday, March 23 (one game). The first eight games will be regionalized broadcasts, while the Regional final, National Semi-final games and National Championship will be national games.
The broadcasts, which will be presented live by CBS Sports, will be “unified” productions -- produced in HDTV’s highest definition format, 1080i, and converted for the CBS Television Network’s analog broadcast coverage. This production technique also produces a better quality analog picture. Whether watching in wide screen HD or traditional 4x3 analog, viewers will see the same camera angles, replays and graphics and will hear the same play-by- play.
"CBS Sports is pleased to team with Sears to expand our HDTV broadcasts of this year's NCAA Tournament," said Sean McManus, President, CBS Sports. "By expanding our coverage for this, our third consecutive HDTV Final Four, CBS Sports’ leadership in presenting our marquee events in High Definition continues to grow.”
"While Sears is a leading retailer in the sales of HDTV, we are aware there is a good deal of confusion among consumers about HDTV, which ultimately turns to excitement once the consumer experiences HDTV and learns more about it at Sears," said Ray Brown, Vice President/General Merchandise Manager, Electronics for Sears. "With this partnership with CBS, Sears is taking a leadership role to help educate millions of consumers about the benefits HDTV offers."
CBS Sports’ coverage of the 2002 NCAA Men’s Basketball Final Four and Championship games will be broadcast live Saturday, March 30 (6:00-11:00 PM, ET) and Monday, April 1 (9:00-11:30 PM, ET) from the Georgia Dome in Atlanta.
(More)
CBS-Sears…2
Forty-six of CBS’s owned and affiliated stations are currently broadcasting in digital, covering approximately 60% of the nation. By May 1, 2002, CBS expects to be transmitting digital programming across more than 75 owned and affiliated stations, reaching well over 68% of the country.
Contacts: Dana McClintock CBS Television 212-975-1077 [email protected]
Jerry Caracciolli CBS Sports 212-975-7466 [email protected]

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
U - C - O - N - N
H - D - T - V
:D :D :D :D
I could just weep!
I'd kill for UCONN in HD but even if they don't make it into HD coverage, this is fantastic news.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for posting this great news, Mike! I was hoping CBS would come through with the Final Four this year (I did not have an HD tuner last March).
Now, I am patiently awaiting news on The Masters. :)

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Scott,

I have not seen an official word on the Masters yet, but I did see somewhere that CBS was looking at doing the Masters the same way they did the NCAA basketball game two weeks ago, which was not only presented in HD but shoot HD without a 4.3 frame and downconverted letterbox for NTSC...

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
question. how is this going to be broadcasted? ota? would directv send an HD feed for local channels? If what im thinking is correct not all shows OTA from Local channels are broadcasted in HD? My local channels go online in May and im curious if its going to be 24 hrs a day or during primetime? which shows do you guys see on HD? does this include the news? thanks for your assistance.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
CBS HD is basically only OTA...Dish network carries the CBS HD feed but you have to qualify to get it...Time warner cable carries the the local affiliate in HD if the local affiliate is broadcasting in HD...

Basically only the primetime shows and specials such as the NCAA finals are HD...The rest of the time most digital channels just upconvert their ntsc broadcast..My local CBS affiliate upconverts it's ntsc broadcast to 1080i on it's digital channel when there is no HD feed from CBS..While the upconvert is far in quality from HD, it is a hell of a lot better than NTSC...

Mike I

Supporting Actor
so even though certain shows will not be HD, they wont be stretched
That would depend on your local affiliate...Some stretch the non HD stuff, others put black or gray bars on the side of the non hd programming and upconvert to 1080i...

Mark_HD

Grip
The first eight games will be regionalized broadcasts, ...
... i can't believe i'll be traveling on Easter weekend and missing all the HDTV broadcasts :eek:
does anyone know whether any of these regional broadcasts will broadcast in the Chicago market?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks