1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

NCAA College Basketball Tournament

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Thomas, Mar 12, 2002.

1. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

I can't believe no one's started a thread on this topic.

To start off, what's the idea with making Kansas a #1 seed when they didn't even win their conference tournament?

Gonzaga got the shaft with a #6 seed. Definitely should've been in the top 4 seeds in one of the divisions.

...and finally, the teams that were on the bubble like Butler. What were they, 25-5? Come on! They deserved to go.

Let's hear what you think about the tournament.

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

John,
    I'm so glad you asked!! [​IMG] I've started an HTF March Madness Tournament Pick'Em at Yahoo!, much like my Oscar Pick'Em, my Survivor Pick'Em, and the Official HTF Fantasy Baseball league.
    What can I say? Yahoo! delivers fun games for groups! And they're free! [​IMG]
    I'm generally not very good at picking the tournament winners, but it's always a lot of fun to try!
    For the record, I'm devastated that my beloved Temple Owls will not be participating in March Madness this year. [​IMG] On the other hand, my second favorite team IS Maryland! For pure sports FUN, few annual events come close to March Madness. I'm not even a huge basketball fan, but the tourney is indeed something special!
    Anyone who'd like to participate in the HTF Tourney Pick'Em, just follow the instructions below. Can't wait till this weekend!
    In order to join the group, just go to http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/men , sign up and choose to Join a Private Group. Then, when prompted, enter the following information...
    Group ID#: 36978
    Password: OAR

3. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Go Terps !!! FEAR THE TURTLE !!!

Well... unless they are playing NC State.... DOH!

4. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

The A-10 really got screwed, didn't they? I knew the University of Dayton wasn't going to make it, but geez, only one team?!
    I am pulling for Maryland since I know some people who went there. Duke--BOO! UC--BOO! At least North Carolina had a terrible year. That's worth something. [​IMG]

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    My beloved Spartys are looking at a 10 seed in the East and a first round match-up against NC State. Yikes! Between these two teams, two thirds of the players on the court will be teenagers.

Regards,

6. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

Hey Kirk, I'm a Wolfpacker - but I don't think you'll see them again. I'm hoping for a Sweet 16 but Mich St. and UConn are no layups.
    Of course if they play like they did against you guys - they can beat anyone.
    You got to be happy about your draw. [​IMG]

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Listening to Tom Izzo whine about MSU's #10 seeding is getting tiresome. Come on, Tom, the Spartans finished in the middle of a mediocre Big Ten this year and were knocked out in the first round of the conference tourney.

Now, Gonzaga has a reason to whine.

8. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

The Sooners got big time screwed!

I believe that my UCONN Huskies were fortunate to get a #2 seed. I know they are hot, but I was figuring on a #4 seed MAYBE a #3. I hope they play up to it.

They will be in HD (I think my local will be carrying the HD feed) Friday at 2:45 PM and I have to think of a good way to get out of work! COUGH, COUGH, HACK, HACK, WHEEEEEEEEEEEZE!

GO DOGS!

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

10. Scott Merryfield

Ken,
    MSU may have finished a game out of 1st place, but four teams finished in front of them. There is no way the Big Ten deserved five high seeds in the tourney this year, so MSU gets dropped down.
    I do agree that Izzo is probably using this to help motivate the young players. It's just unusual to hear him whine -- he's usually above that.
    On to another team. Since I have not seen much Pac 10 ball, can anyone comment on whether Oregon was really good enough to get a #2 seed? Are they destined for an early exit as a high seed? Right now I have Pepperdine knocking them out in the second round (I always like to throw in a couple of big upsets). Any help in filling out my bracket will be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I'm new to basketball (this is the first season I've folloed it), and I only watched the PAC-10, but IMO Oregon deserved the 2nd seed. They had a great season.

I'll quote what they write about them on MSN (nice NCAA coverage there):

12. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

Hey all you Mich State fans ... If it makes you feel any better ... I wish you had a higher seed and didn't take on my NCSU Wolfpack 1st round. I think we can take you, but both teams can kick tail on a given day. I think either has a good chance against UConn.
    We got the seed we deserved but Mich State in the first round [​IMG]

13. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Congrats to the Siena Saints (Siena's just a few minutes away from my school) for beating Alcorn State tonight in the play-in game, 81-77, earning the "right" to play Maryland in the first round. Hey, at least they made it. If they happen to pull off the upset (obviously it's HIGHLY unlikely), I'm screwed since I picked MD to go all the way.

Anyone else here pick Central Connecticut to beat Pitt in the first round? I did, and everyone thinks I'm nuts. Central is hot. Admittedly, they don't play top teams, but they do currently have the longest winning streak in the country, at 19 games. I think they're going to pull off the big upset this year, though I have them losing in the 2nd round.

14. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Go University of Hawaii Rainbow Warriors!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    My dream has been that within my lifetime, they advance in the NCAA Tournament. And THIS is the year! Trust me -- people on the mainland haven't seen us play much this year, but we WILL absolutely beat Xavier on Friday. We are 27-5 DESPITE the most grueling travel schedule in Division I.
    Oh, oh -- just as I typed that, the news said "Predrag Savovic suffers a new injury -- will it keep him on the bench?". Bye! Must get details!

15. Scott Merryfield

Siena beating Maryland is as close to impossible as you can get in sports. A #16 seed has never won an NCAA tournament game vs. a #1 seed.

I would hate to be a fan of the school that becomes the first #1 seed to lose to a #16 seed. Those few #15 seed upsets must have been embarrassing enough. :b

16. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Scott, I would seriously consider picking them if Pitt wasn't getting to play in Pittsburgh, which is a joke, though not as big a one as Texas playing in Dallas.

Go MIZZOU!!! Actually I'm picking them to lose because we suck this year, but since they've trashed my expectations all year, maybe they can do it again and pull an upset.

17. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I agree that the Zags got the shaft, but that's the great thing about the tournament.

Put up, or shut up.

Seriously, Arizona a few years back took their fifth place PAC-10 finish and ran through the tourney, taking out what was it, 3 number 1 seeds in the process? They didn't whine about where they were shipped to.

Just ball, man, let the scoreboard do the talking.

18. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

I agree with the essence of what you are saying, Carlo, but they did get SCREWED! To add something to your perspective, the Fab Five as freshman did make it to the final round as a six seed in 1992.
    With that in mind, FUCK DUKE! [​IMG]

19. Benny G

Benny G Second Unit

Regarding NCSU & MSU

20. Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor Stunt Coordinator

To respond to the original thread...

KU absolutely deserves a #1 seed. I am a KU grad and am currently a KU MBA student, so I am not at all biased. With that known...

KU went undefeated, 16-0 in the big 12 regular season this year. That has never been done. That includes winning the final game in Colombia vs. Missouri who have always blemished KU's season. Yes, we lost in the finals of the Big XII tourney, but we had an awful game.

KU scores more than anyone in the country and we have size, quickness, toughness, and heart. We will make it to the final four this year and I will be there. In fact, I am leaving at 6:00 AM tomorrow morning to watch KU in the first two rounds in St. Louis.

Go Jayhawks!!!!