What's new

NCAA basketball, tornadoes, and March Madness 2008 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The SEC championship was being held at the Georgia Dome (Atlanta) tonight, and a tornado passed right over the dome, and scared the beejeezus out of all the attendees inside the dome.

They ended up suspending the game between Alabama and Miss. St. with 2:11 left in the game, and they cancelled the UGA/UK game later tonight because of some damage inflicted by the tornadoes. One panel section was damaged, and the hanging scoreboard/display was swaying during the tense moments, and is a cause for concern.

The news showed footage of cars being tossed around, windows blown out, a la "Twister", plus water pipes burst inside the Georgia Dome, as well as the CNN building, so the water is flooding everywhere the pipes have burst. It's going to be a crazy time to figure out where the teams will be playing tomorrow (either Philips Arena, or GA Tech's Alexander Coliseum). Just a crazy time to be a SEC fan tonight.

mylan

Screenwriter
Looks like the game is going to be played at GA. Tech, only the player's family are going to be permitted to enter, maybe due to space?
It is surreal watching coverage of this now that daylight has revealed more of the damage and from the weather reports, we are in for another round today. Last night here fifty miles north of Atlanta we had no bad weather, this morning however, we got quite the storm.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, UGA won in OT over UK, and for their efforts, they get to play again tonight (probably now).

Here's a shot from today's game at Alexander Memorial Coliseum (the Thrilldome!), where only family, cheerleaders, the band and select few were allowed to watch the game. A lot of ticket buyers who travelled to Atlanta to the SEC tourney got hosed by this tornado, especially the UK fans who showed up, and probably had to watch the game in their hotel rooms or at a sports bar.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Two wins in one day for my Dawgs! How improbable would it be if we beat Arkansas today for the SEC championship?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If UGA actually won today, I wonder if it's enough to save Felton's job.

The late Texas/Kansas game will make for an interesting "blind" bracket placement for both teams since the game won't be over by the time the brackets are released by the selection committee.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Can't wait for the Selection Show. My Bruins are riding a 10 game winning streak (including the Pac10 tournament) into the Big Dance, but they also have been beset by injuries (Mike Roll out for season, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute sprained ankle-questionable, Kevin Love strained back/spasms). I'm just hoping to get Luc and Love at full strength by the second game, I think what UCLA has outside of them can win the 1/16 game.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
#1 in the West. I'm happy. Only down side is that we're the #3 overall 1-seed so that means we'll get one of the tougher #2 seeds. We'll see who they put in our bracket. I haven't been this excited since 1995 when I was in school and we won the National Championship!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
This is my third trip to Peachtree City this year and it seems like every time I come to Georgia, the weather goes crazy. (Perhaps I drag it from Arkansas...) I was here to see snow in January (a rarity) then again in February (a double rarity which included a record 4" in Atlanta) and saw all the tornadoes and storms Friday night and Saturday. I was planning to go to the CNN center and the aquarium yesterday, but after the bad weather Friday night I decided to stay at the hotel until today.

Mylan, where are you located? My in-laws live in Gainesville and luckily they didn't suffer any damage.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I have a group through Yahoo for my own Website if you're interested in joining.

Group ID: 33779
Password: sheikybaby

I'm primed and pumped, this is my favorite time of year.

DanaA

Screenwriter

Carlo, you're obviously someone of extreme taste and intelligence.

Never guess what school my wife and I graduated from...huh?

Anyway, I'm excited as well. GOOOOOOOOOO BRUINNNNNSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

And, go Pac-10. There are three or four teams this year that could make a loud noise in the tournament.

By the way, Keefe has been sensational filling in for Luc while Luc is hobbled by the ankle. Luc said he really wants to play in the first game and is now in off crutches and only wearing a support boot. Howland doesn't appear too worried about Love's back spasms.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the invite. I have joined your group. I don't put any money on these things, but it is fun to fill out a bracket for the tournament.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Never would I have believed that my alma mater, American University, would make into the NCAA. Living in the shadow of Georgetown, George Washington, and George Mason does make for an inferiority complex. AU is the easy win for the local big boys. Nice to see them going to the dance even if Tennessee should clean their clocks.

GO EAGLES!!!!!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Okay I'm officially worried now. Although ESPN's "experts" have all picked against UCLA (for which I'm grateful), it seems that a panel of 5 "experts" from Sports Illustrated's online site have all picked UCLA to win it all. I'm not a big fan of the SI jinx (they were one of the few publications that had us pre-season #1 in 1995 and they were proven right) but call me superstitious, I like to fly in under the radar.

Didn't help that after Selection Sunday, both of CBS's talking heads (Seth Davis and Clark Kellogg, I think?) also picked UCLA.

Pressure's on...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My no-upset strategy is paying off so far. 7/7

I picked UCLA to go all the way. My thinking is their defense rarely takes a night off, and UCLA is really defensive-minded, almost to the detriment of their offense, but in a tournament, that mindset is good to have. They have to worry about a team that can shoot lights-out and bury them from 3-land.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks