What's new

NCAA Basketball 2004-2005 discussion (1 Viewer)

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
1993-94

I'm quite confident it will be 4 straight losses after Saturday. I can't find where I read the last time they had 4 straight conference losses -- I think it was 1988-89?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
It was a couple of days ago, but just when you think you can start counting Duke out they go and beat Wake Forrest...yeah it was at home but a win is a win especially when you're struggling.

Anthony Wolfe

Stunt Coordinator
I see my good friend Corbin Stirn has been absent as of late. After those Duke loses :). Everyday, UNC locks that #1 Seed up eh Corbin? OK State Lost, so that rids that little theory.

As a matter of fact, Arizona is looking to get that other #1 seed IF they beat Washington, according to the experts that is.

I believe I predicted that...

Illinois
UNC
Boston College
Arizona (Or Up for grabs).

Assuming of course that these teams stay strong!

Galen_V

Second Unit

Although I admit that I'm a little biased, I wouldn't exactly characterize Duke's play of late as "struggling." Sure they've lost four games, but it's not like the Blue Devils haven't been competitive in each and every one of them. In the loses to Wake Forest and Virginia Tech, Duke had the last possession both times but failed to hit a three pointer that would have either tied or won the game. Also, the Blue Devils did have a four point lead with 90 seconds to play in the road loss to Maryland, but didn't have any big men to rebound or play defense in the post. When DeMarcus Nelson (who is definitely shorter than his listed 6'3) is guarding Nik Caner-Medley, you know you're in for a LONG overtime. Additionally, Duke did beat Wake, Georgia Tech and UNC during this same stretch, the three teams that were picked ahead of them in the preseason conference polls. While all of these wins came at home, a win still is a win.

With that said, I think that Duke's biggest game before the ACC Tournament is tomorrow night at Georgia Tech. Clearly they need to win a game on the road against a quality team, something they haven't really done yet all year (maybe FSU). This is especially true considering the fact that the ACC Tournament is at the MCI Center, where they will not enjoy the home court advantage that Greensboro usually affords them. The UNC game at the end of the season is probably just going to be for bragging rights, so GT is really their last chance to beat a good team in an inhospitable setting.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Galen, when I say struggling I mean that in relative terms...the kind of skid Duke was on is struggling IMO for duke because Duke has impossibly high standards most of the time. So at one point they were something like 3 and 4 in their last 7...that's really not terrible but Duke's not your typical basketball program.

Nebraska got a win in basketball tonight I think the NCAA should launch some kind of investigation. I'd say something like maybe the coach convinced the basketball team that they were actually the football team but Nebraska's record this past year blows that theory all to hell.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
LOL Nebraska often is quite good at home against quality teams. Of course I'm convinced the refs are usually wearing red & white as well....

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I'll say this because it goes unmentioned:

Texas Tech has considerably less talent then most of the big teams in the league. Hell, I'd argue they have less talent then K-State (who has a good Cartier Martin, etc.) but yet, Texas Tech continues to roll and impress.

While I personally dislike Bobby Knight, I cannot argue with the fact that he is a coaching genious.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, I get to see if my Yellow Jackets have anything left in the tank tonight against Duke at home (I sort of think that GT is a bubble team of sorts, as in lower seeded, under an 8th seed because they've really struggled of late, and BJ Elders has only somewhat stabilize the outside threat for GT). I think the key for GT is to stop the outside shot from Redick in terms of shooting percentage. Plus, minimizing the number of free throws Duke gets to shoot will help as well, that means playing clean defense without getting fouls called on them.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Looks as though BC is about to go down to Villanova..

Edit: and Down goes BC.. they finally get up to #3 in the rankings and can't hold on..

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Luke Schenscher killed GT with his slowness after getting great passes into the paint, but he'd just couldn't dunk the ball fast enough, or then he just couldn't make a quick bank shot next to the goal. So many easy basket opportunities went unscored upon for GT, so they just never could get back over the hump after squandering the shots in the second half.

Galen_V

Second Unit

Not only that, but it seemed that whenever GT was on a fast break the ball would somehow find its way out of bounds or into the hands of a Duke defender. There were about two or three instances in the first half where Tech really could have taken the air of Duke's sails, but they just failed to capitalize on their scoring opportunities. With that said, Duke played a rather streaky game themselves (i.e. JJ's disappearance for 90% of the second half) and were definitely fortunate that BJ Elder was in foul trouble the entire game. If they want to make any kind of run come March/April, they're going to have to start making more of their free throws and need to deliver the knockout punch when a team is down late in the second half. Too many times this year have they let teams hang around with them only to lose the game or give everyone a good scare.

Anthony Wolfe

Stunt Coordinator
Emmmm! Ah, I love being right...B.C. went down again, once again imporving UNC and Arizona's chances, all we have to do is play tough and win the next three games (this goes for both teams), I honestly think AZ will be a #1 seed if they win @ Washington. Carolina is basically locked in if they keep winning, but I would stand to say that they are locked even if they lose one more (with all these teams losing as of late).

I love it!

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
That guy for Texas should be running laps from now until the tournament. Dumbest foul I've seen in a long time.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
DAMN!!!

I think the pressure finally got to Illinois. During the last 10 minutes I don't remember seeing any 3-point attempts (other than the desperation ones at the end). They seemed to be playing defensively, trying to nurse the lead. I had a feeling of dread the whole time.

Congrats to Ohio State for a great win. Now hopefully the Illini will pound them in the Big Ten tournanment. :)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Wow, but I have to say I really didn't see this coming. They weren't my pick to win it all but I thought they'd least make it to the tournament undefeated.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Woohoo! Down go the Illini. This made my day, that's for sure. Now, Ohio State can go ahead and win the Big Ten tournament just to piss everyone off, since they can't go to the NIT or NCAA tournament. :)

I agree with Brian in that once Illinois had the lead, they started playing not to win, but to not lose.

Great game from Dials and Sylvester.

According to ESPN.com Ohio State has knocked off 5 of the last 6 #1 teams they have faced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks