What's new

NCAA 2004 Is Here! (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
This sucks. I finally move up to Lexington, and all I have is a Gamecube. Luckily, a friend of mine got a copy of NCAA Football 2004 for the PS2, and we played it eight hours straight. We're wusses. :)

But anyway, I went 5 - 2. And finally, the play action system is actually convincing. Two out of every three PA's we ran were pretty convincing. I still have no clue how to stop the no-huddle option offense (too damn unrealistic if you ask me).

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Here are my first impressions:

Plays that have improved:
All Play Action passes
All Fake Handoffs
Throwing to curls and comeback routes

Plays that still suck:
All screen passes

I'm amazed by the sheer difference in the defense calling. Personally, I like it a lot better as I can finally tell from just the play window what the coverages are.

Sound effects are definitely improved. Graphics are one or two notches better. The commenting is still stupid, and I've even found some glitches.

The short passing game still doesn't work. I can't believe how many passes in the "dump off" lane or the 5 - 10 yard zone are dropped. Screens still don't work.

The option in all its glory and forms still kicks ass.

So far, my favorite playbooks are either Georgia's or Oklahoma's.

BTW, what team has the Wishbone tight formation?

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
Has anyone started their dynasty yet, or are you waiting for a roster set? I've started a practice dynasty with San Jose State until I can download some rosters with my AR.

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator
Someone over at operationsports has posted a Grant Gagnon's roster file (xbox). Unfortunately, I let a friend borrow my AR memory card, so I can't load it onto my xbox, so I don't know how good it is.

Anyway, here's a link to download the rosters:

http://members.cox.net/soonerfann/roster.htm

Then just drag the file into the action replay box and into the memory card.

or if you want I could email you the file.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
The Action Replay for Xbox actually isn't a bad investment. It comes with a memory card, which on its own would be 25 bucks. Plus when you look at the fact that for the next 3 years you will have roster files, 40 dollars doesn't sound too bad. I just got mine last night and am glad I did!

Brandon_S

Second Unit
If any of you guys with the Action Replay are looking for some good Xbox rosters, head on over to Operation Sports . In the forum there, look for the Rosters and Downloads section. Check out TexanWolverine's rosters. I have the newest version right now and they seem to be pretty accurate and complete. Now back to the game :D .

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I spent so much time in tourneys at my friends house with many kids, blasting the audio. Such good emulation of atmosphere, it was grand.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Discussion: What kind of offense do you run?

I try my best to run a balanced offense that emphasizes use of the shotgun and I formation.

From your goaline to the 15:
I use the I Formation and try to run the ball until I can get out into more spacing

15 to the other 20:
I use all varieties of Shotgun and Singleback formations. I mix up intermediate pass plays and draws.

Redzone offense:
I use snap-under-center formations (I and Singleback) and run the ball 60 percent of the time.

I basically run what Oklahoma is doing now, and what Northwestern used to do when they had that one great season with Damien Anderson.

But if me and my friends were playing oldschool games, it's wishbone all the way with 90 percent run, and 10 percent pass. I can almost guarantee you the audience will fall asleep. :D

More often than not, I end up using "big play" offense (being able to only move the ball on 3rd and 4th downs).

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
I've been having a lot of fun just having coach pick my offensive plays and then I execute them. Its helping me overall with the game, making me do plays I wouldn't normally pick.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I just picked it up yesterday. Against everything that I stand for, I bought the PS2 version. Compared to the Xbox on HDTV, it is like watching a non anamorphic movie with massive edge enhancement.
But, it does support 16x9 and looks pretty good for a PS2 game.

The passing game is bothering me. Guys wide open and my QB throws it 10 yards out of bounds. I guess I have to get used to the touch system. It would be nice if you could let the AI determine the throw based on where the receiver is (Madden does this I think).

I love the celebrations even if I still need to learn how to pull them off (50% success).

I love the Mass subs. I was beating some scrub team 70-0 in the third and it was nice to clear my bench.

Another little nit that drives me crazy, the computer is sacked 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage instantly and they don't award a sack. I know it is because the AI was running some bootleg play but the casual observer wouldn't know that.

Since I just bought a new PS2, I sadly learned that my old Sharkport software won't run it. That means no name rosters for awhile (should have gotten the Xbox ;) )

Doug

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
it will just throw to them properly but you have to make sure your feet are set. Don't try to throw on the run or it will be highly eratic. Also load up practice with a good team and a crummy team and pick random plays for both sides and just try to get a feel for it. After about 20-30 mins you should be doing well.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Mass subs are back! Woohoo I will have to get this game!

This was a feature from a long time ago and then was taken out for whatever reason. Glad to see it's back.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Well I currently have my UK Wildcats at 3-1. I have beat rivals Louisville and Indiana, but lost an away game to Alabama pretty badly. I lost one of my best receivers for that game though. Next up are the Florida Gators rolling into town...

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator
Brandon,

How did it go against the Gators? I finally got my rosters loaded and decided to start a dynasty with Notre Dame. I am 0-2. I got waxed by VA Tech, and then lost a heartbreaker to Michigan 27-26. :frowning:

As a consolation, the game was saved on my EA bio as my #1 "greatest game" of all time.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Randall,

I figured I would get slaughtered against the 13th ranked Gators, but I actually played pretty well. I was up 21-7 going into the second half, but the patented Kentucky football choke (or at least that is what I am blaming it on :)) caught up to me. I ended up losing 35-21, but I was fairly happy with my performance.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I was playing as the #19 Gators and was amazed I beat #3 Miami. We traded touchdowns back and forth.
What was great, you could tell that Miami was the better team, I just made some amazing plays.
I could not stop their TE (#81, Winslow?).

It was a close game and was named a Classic Game (cool new mode).

Now, I finally got the roster download and fear I have to face Miami again!

Doug

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My initial impressions (after about 6 games at AA level with UCLA) is that it is a much improved game over 2003. The play is much more realistic and the trick plays can occasionally work (whereas in 2003 they'd basically always fail).

The speed of the game is a bit faster, and there are tons of new plays. The updated roster finally got UCLA totally right (well minus the fact that there's a 55 man limit and real college teams can have over 70 players) because they now allow multiple instances of the same number on offense and defense (i.e. we have a WR and LB who are #8).

The defensive AI is also much improved, for both the CPU and your non-controlled defenders.

Also, the defense at AA level rewards patient and creative playcalling and punishes "I'm behind so I'm gonna air it out" mentality. I fell behind to NC State 14-0 in the first, tried on 2 drives to air it out, and went 3-out. Then I got patient, stuck with the game plan, and drove downfield mixing up pass, run and playaction and draws. Ended up winning 38-28.

New tackling animations make it look more like the real thing (have had season tix to UCLA for 10 years and this is the closest I've seen EA to "getting it right").

For next year (XBox) I'd like to see:
1. Online play (duh!)
2. Increase rosters to at least 60, maybe 65.
3. More differences in the customized playbooks. I've used Miami, UCLA, Ohio State and West Coast playbooks and they're pretty similar.
4. More varied commentary.
5. Faster load time! (use the HD better)
6. Get Carson Palmer OFF THE COVER!!! :D

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Finally had a chance to put a few games down. Started the Dynasty with Washington State (GO COUGS!) on Varsity -- I usually stop playing about Jan/Feb after the bowl games, so I like spending a season on varsity to get the feel of the game again (I was even lame enough to play 2003 the week before 2004 came out because I was getting ancy). So far I'm 8-0, I really enjoyed just crushing Oregon 56-0, those guys suck I had a harder time with New Mexico!

Absoluely love the new Play Action, that's fun. I like the feel of the passing game more, I noticed it's a little more "real", I'm completing less passes on the run, etc. The differentiation between players feels improved too -- I notice a big difference between my 1st and 2nd string QBs, my 1st stringer (Kegal) is a lot faster which helps the option, but when he went down, my #2 (Hurd) was lagging behind, totally screwing up my option attack. On the bright side, Hurd (my #2, no turd jokes please, we're all mature here :) ) is a much better passer.

Loving it! It makes me hungry for the season to start, and makes me look even more forward to the 2 games I'll be hitting this year. It's funny, this is just like last year, NCAA comes out, and sure enough I never get around to finishing my baseball season. Oh well.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks