What's new

NCAA 2004 Is Here! (1 Viewer)

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
Someone please explain to me what is so great about this game. Lots of people love this game, but isn't it just Madden with NCAA rosters and presentation? I personally have never liked Madden and have always chosen alternatives like GameDay, Quarterback Club, and now NFL2k. So what makes NCAA different? I am NOT a football fan, and certainly not a college football fan. I am a geeky videogame football fan.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Keith,

I am the biggest die hard NFL 2k fan you will find. To me, when it comes to the professional version of football, Sega's games just seem to capture the atmosphere of the pro game better than Madden's. Now when it comes to the college game it is just the opposite. Last year I played NCAA for the first time and was amazed at the great college atmosphere the game provided. From mascots to fight songs, everything you could want in a college game is there.

I would also say that although it is developed at Tiburon just like Madden, NCAA has its own distinct gameplay feel. I can't really put my finger on it, but they do play differently. If you haven't already you owe it to yourself to give this game a try. I don't think you will regret it.

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
Just how bad is this skipping? I haven't read anything about it on any of the other boards I visit.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
The skipping tends to happen right as the band strikes up a song. It sounds like the band is busting into some techno song, then it smooths out into the way it is supposed to sound. I have read on other boards that some people have this problem and some don't. Does anyone have a # we can contact EA at to ask them about this???

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
Yikes, system shock when I started playing. I played so much NFL2k3 last year, that the 'Madden' engine in NCAA 2004 threw me for a loop :). After playing a bit, incredible game as always. NCAA 2002 is my all time favorite sports game, and this looks better in every way.

Played 2 games online last night, and both worked well, little lag. Couldn't get the SOCOM headset to work though. Have to try more tonight, and make sure the other guy is trying as well (which I believe he was).

So far, great game, highly recommended. After playing only Pro football last year via NFL2k3, its amazing how much I missed the college atmosphere, fight songs, etc.

Meropi

Auditioning
I read on the Gamefaqs message board that the headset doensnt work if you have PPPoE(signon with a username and password) DSL. Sucks for me :frowning:

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
EA's servers were a bit overwhelmed last night. Couldn't log on around 9pm EST. At 9:45 when I checked again, they were fine. Voice chat works well, about as well as XBox Lives. Game is very smooth online.

Thanks for the roster link.

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator
After playing a couple games I think this game is an improvement over last years.

Some of my observations:

Is it me or is the gameplay a step or two faster than last year?

The graphics are pretty much the same with some tweaking here and there. The new animations make the game look more fluid and the lighting is excellent.

This year the CPU AI seems to be much improved. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. Corners stay with recievers and defensive linemen get around blockers much more effectively.

Special teams is awesome. Seeing your blockers actually form a wedge as receive a kickoff is great.

Turnovers are much more frequent. If you throw into a crowd, it will be picked.

I have the XBox version and haven't noticed any sound problems (knock on wood). That being said, I don't know if the sound is as good as last years.

The new option controls are difficult to control. you can't really hit turbo while trying to pitch the ball. This will definitely take some getting used to.

Overall this game is excellent and a worthy purchase for any football gamer.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I love this game as well. I'm having a hard time deciding on which game to play, this or Star Wars: KOTOR.

Chris Duran

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone check for me to see if my college team is in the game? If so I'm going to probably buy it. The school is Coastal Carolina University and the team is the Chanticleers, they are from South Carolina. It's a small college here, but we finally got a football team and this season will be their first season. Can anyone check for me? Thanks. :)

Damien

Supporting Actor
Can anyone check for me to see if my college team is in the game? If so I'm going to probably buy it. The school is Coastal Carolina University and the team is the Chanticleers, they are from South Carolina. It's a small college here, but we finally got a football team and this season will be their first season. Can anyone check for me? Thanks.
I don't remember running into them but I'll look and get back to you. Although the game contains a fairly powerful create a school mode that lets you design the stadium, fight songs, players, logos, etc...

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
Well, I got the game from work today, and after playing 3 games, I have not had any problems with the sound at all. Also haven't noticed any slowdown or graphics glitches. Fun game, find myself liking it more than 2003 which I traded in after a week last year.

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator
I had a question for others in regards to this game. Who else here, if anyone, loves to buy and play football video games and yet sucks at playing them?

I'm so frigging bad. I play on All-American, and I've held my own, kind of, in my first season with FSU... if "holding your own" applies to an 8-5 record, with a Mazda Tangerine Bowl win over "powerhouse" UConn. I've been informed that my coaching job is hanging by a thread. If I hadn't beaten Notre Dame, I might've been fired already.

And yet I can't get enough of PS2 football. Truly, I'm not a masochist in any other areas of my life...

Anyone else like me out there?

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
I'm still adjusting to the play style of NCAA. I'm very used to nfl 2k3. Right now my Oregon dynasty is 6-2 but I'm only playing on Varsity. It sucks because I can stop them pretty well but I can't do anything myself hardly. My QB's are averaging 30% pass completion dropping a lot of wide open passes. I think I may have to turn up the catching slider. I'm still having a blast though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks