NCAA 2003 - off the wall dynasty teams...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Holton, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Jeff Holton

Jeff Holton Stunt Coordinator

What team are you using for your Dynasty (other then Miami, FSU, Florida, Texas, etc.)

I'm using West Virginia... so far they are not too bad, I'm having a tough time in conference play (West Virginia vs. Miami... I mean come on). But I hope to finish up 6 - 5 my first season, not too bad.

2. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I am using Notre Dame. I am currently 3-1 in my 1st season and am ranked #23 in the Media Polls but am unranked in the Coach's Polls.

-Dean-

3. GaryP

GaryP Second Unit

I'm using UTEP (Texas-El Paso to the layperson [​IMG] )
    I started out as a 1 star prestige team, and have moved my way up to five stars in 5 seasons, with three championships and two Heisman winners (that bolted early) under my belt. Unfortunately, the cyber trophy is about as close as my home town team will ever get to tasting the real thing. [​IMG]
    Gary

4. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I'm using my University of Kentucky Wildcats, playing six-minute quarters (to maximize Campus Challenge points), and using Varsity level.
    In my first season, I went 11-3, losing to Lousiville ( [​IMG].....:p) ), South Carolina (stupid turnovers), and Florida State in the Nokia Sugar Bowl (this was the dumbest loss because they ran the option on me as opposed to the offense they normally run [​IMG] ). I won the Heisman with Artose Pinner, came in second in the QB race, and came in second in the WR race. I passed on almost every down, and (go figure) my attempts were nowhere near Texas Tech's (that Kliff Kingsbury had over 600 attempts [​IMG] ).
    Because I lost in the post-season, recruiting sucked a lot of ass for me. I ranked 70th in recruiting and ended up with a worse team for the next season. I was a C- team for the next year.
    However, I ended up winning the national title my second year. I ran a "balanced" offense for this year (used too much shotgun to be really a true balanced offense, but my pass to run ration was closer to 55-45 as to previous efforts of 65-35 ). I won the Heisman with running back #25 and broke the single season rushing TD record with 43 on the year. My QB (Shane Boyd of Lexington) had a little better than 50% completion rate. Needless to say, recruiting was a hell of a lot better for me this year. My overall rating on the team is now B.
    I'm more than halfway through my third season. My team prestige rests at an okay four stars. My coaching prestige is still at two for some reason. I'm 7-0 and currently ranked number 3 (waiting for either Texas or Florida St. to lose).
    Damn, this game consumes way too much of my life.

5. GaryP

GaryP Second Unit

Dome,
    Your coaching prestige won't go up until its time to re-up the contract (after the 3rd season). On the first resigning, my coach went from one stars to four.

Gary

6. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

I'm using the University of Kentucky Wildcats also and didn't fair quite as well as Dome did. I only won five games in my first season with UK but almost beat Florida. I ended up losing that heartbreaker 28-24 [​IMG]. For my first Dynasty I simulated most of the play and lets just say UK went down the tubes fast and my coach was fired. Now I've started a new season and am currently 3-1 and getting ready to head into a big matchup with the Gators! Hopefully I will be bowlin at the end of the season!
    Brandon Smith

7. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

My team's not exactly off the wall, since UCLA starts out as a 5 star prestige team. But I have made it into a ridiculous powerhouse after winning the first two NCAA Championships (for the record, I play All American level, 8 minute quarters - Heisman level cheats [​IMG] )
    Now I'm in my fifth year, and because every year I win the damned thing, the best HS players come to my university. The game has tried to regulate by having more and more players leave as Juniors (last year I lost 14 SRs and 7 JRs) but I still can recruit the awesome FR and then they improve year in and year out because I play quite a few players (don't just field my best 11 every play) and I'm not afraid to redshirt true FR which seems to sometimes make them way better. The QB I'm using now was a FR overall of 80. I redshirted him because I had 2 good QBs and he became a FR(RS) and jumped 10 points overall! He's a JR(RS) now with a 96 overall rating and won't be around for his senior season.
    But the awesome thing about my team now is the defense, which is an overall A+. My D-Line is rated between 89-94, my OLBs are 90 & 95, MLB is 99, CBs are 91 & 89, FS is 93, SS is 91. Crazy! And most aren't seniors! [​IMG]

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I'm playing with Purdue now, and for the love of God I'm sucking ass. Actually...I'm not playing that terrible on paper, but most of my first season games have been extremely close, and it seems that the opposing team gets a fire lit under their ass at the two minute mark. Right now I'm 3-5, with all losses under 7 points.

9. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    BC Eagles.

I went 5-0, with all games being major blowouts at Varsity level, so I am restarting at All-American level, if that's too easy I will go to Heisman level.

10. Carlo Medina

Brian,

Be warned, on my XBox version there is a huge jump from AA to Heisman.

With Heisman, it seems that they just make everyone on the other team faster and they read your plays.

For example, I call a counter with my HB w/ a 98 speed and it works, I'm in the open field. Then I get tackled FROM BEHIND by his LB, and when I go to check his speed, it's 79.

???

There is an AI boost from Varsity to AA, but I still win by a lot. Instead of 70-10, the scores are more like 43-20. Maybe it's because my dynasty team is already an "A" rated team through years of successful recruiting and advancing. But bumping it up to Heisman makes my "A" team lose to teams ranked "B-"!

11. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

How is the University of Washington? I can't afford to buy anything until I get my wisdom teeth out (on Halloween). [​IMG]

12. Carlo Medina

UW is okay but not great.
    Still, that's what is so great about dynasty mode. You can MAKE them great! [​IMG]

13. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

14. Carlo Medina

Yeah, Dome, Reggie Williams. He was their only shining star last year when they visited the Rose Bowl and DeShaun Foster ran for 301 yards on 'em. That was a memorable day, I still have my ticket stub. He's going to be so incredible in the years to come, I can't wait until he graduates so he can stop scaring the crap out of me (UCLA fan)! [​IMG]

15. JustinP

JustinP Stunt Coordinator

Not having played the game for any considerable length of time, I can't really comment too much. But come on, any game that would allow the Bruins to win five straight titles can't be that good. Perhaps the game designers forgot to factor in the beating the Bruins received last year by a mediocre Trojan team, or the propensity of star Bruin backs to accept illegal gifts and become ineligible? Maybe the recruiting mode will allow one to draft a UCLA quarterback WITHOUT unreported DUI's.

Then again, I haven't heard the words 'national title' and 'Trojans' uttered in the same sentence in over 25 years, even in the context of video games, so go figure.

16. Brian J Dupuis

Brian J Dupuis Second Unit

Unfortunately I can't play as anyone other than FSU, it causes hives [​IMG]. Not that I'm as rabid a fan as I was when I went there (I rarely even watch the games on TV anymore), but it just really feels odd to try to play as some other team. It was truly odd to play the demo on the OXM disc... Texas and Miami?
    Seriously, a good question would be "Does anyone not play as their Alma Mater?" A good friend that graduated with me happens to live across the street, and we seem to be incapable of doing anything but "Welcome to Doak Campbell Stadium where Florida State is set to take on the Seminoles of Florida State." [​IMG]

17. Carlo Medina

I can now answer the age-old question:
    Sophomores can leave for the NFL!
    Last night I completed my 5th season and both my JR and SO running backs had 1000 yd seasons. Both left. Also my two WRs who were JRs left. Along with my Heisman winning JR QB. And my best DT and SS, who were also JRs. 7 underclassmen. And 11 graduating SRs.
    Time to hit the recruiting blocks!

18. John Bryant

John Bryant Second Unit

Playing as Ole Miss, All-American level. Finished my first season 12-2, and ranked in the top 3 in all polls. Had a pretty decent recruiting year, and Manning stuck around (thank God). I am currently 2-1. I gave myself a horrendous schedule, playing UCLA, Illinois, Nebraska, Florida, Washington, Arkansas, and LSU, all ranked in the top 20 as of right now. [​IMG] We'll see how it turns out.