NCAA 2003 for Xbox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Scarpa, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

Apr 8, 1999
    David Scarpa
    I rented this yesterday. It's a decent enough title but I would'nt hardly say it's Groundbreaking on the Xbox. There's a few graphical touches like animated Sidelines but generally this looks like it could be done on the Dreamcast. Hopefully Microsoft and Sega will take their franchises a bit further on the box. Overall NCAA Plays well and if you're a fan of the series it's a decent version of the game.
  2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Oct 31, 1997
    I'll agree with you on most counts, Dave. Graphically it's nothing to write home about. But I think it plays very well and much better than Madden 2002 did on the XBox (I'm a lifelong Madden fan since the Genesis days).
    I love that they got my school's fight song down (UCLA). And also love the sound and commentary. They really did get the feel of a college game down (have season tix to my alma mater and have for several years now and it does feel like I'm there...almost!).
    Also, playcalling tendencies are actually like the real teams (something not even Madden did well)! Wash and Wash St. had 5-wide formations all the time and I had to adjust my defensive playcalling or else risk getting blown out.
    I'm now 12-0 and playing VTech in the Fiesta tonight. Granted I'm only on "Varsity" level and not "All American" or "Heisman" so I know it can get harder, but I love this game in a way that I haven't for a football game since the early Madden versions on Genesis.
    So while it's not revolutionary like Halo was, I still give it a recommendation if:
    1. You're a fan of the Madden engine, and
    2. You're a big college football fan
    Hey - they even have the East Coast Bias in there! I had to get to 10-0 and have a lot of east coast biggies lose until I broke into the top 5! [​IMG]
  3. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Oct 2, 2000
    Wow, I played the demo last night and I thought the graphics were quite impressive. If that's the low point of your review, this must be a heck of a game!