NBC Yanks "The Lyon's Den" for Sweeps

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Don Black, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Sad to see TLD go. I thought it was pretty good.

NBC Sweeps Out the 'Den'

NBC has decided to yank the Rob Lowe starrer The Lyon's Den from its Sunday-night schedule during the November ratings sweeps and replace it with reruns of Law and Order: Criminal Intent. Although the network said in a statement that the legal drama will return in December, several TV writers suggested it may be kaput. The network has also shelved its Thursday-night comedy Coupling amid speculation that it, too, will not return.

2. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

is nbc very far away from becoming the "all law and order, all the time" network? except for friends and frasier.

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Can you blame them? That seems to be all that people want to watch.

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Huge mistake. Last week's episode of Coupling showed a lot of promise. Stop copying the British version and make original episodes.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'm looking forward to "Law & Order: The Comedy" in the near future from NBC.

6. Bill MacAdoo

Bill MacAdoo Stunt Coordinator

7. MattGentry

MattGentry Second Unit

Last weeks ep. of Coupling was very good, a huge improvement over the first two eps. I also liked the earlier one (the one where Steve's ex's aunt dies). The whole episode was pretty good, and the Resevoir Dogs thing was the funniest thing I've seen in a long while.

8. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Maybe Rob Lowe can go back to West Wing now and they can start showing the better British version of Coupling in the U.S on NBC.

9. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Darn, I was looking forward to Jewel's guest spots.

10. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

11. MattGentry

MattGentry Second Unit

^^^

Can't go wrong with that...

But in all honesty, Jewel's acting was supposed to be so bad that they only had her in one episode. They decided after that she was gone...

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

13. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    But, does Law & Order do that well in the key demographics? I didn't think it did, mainly appealing to an older audience.

14. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

As Brandon Tartikoff used to say, "demographics are for losers". When you have shows that are as successful all-around as the Law & Order franchise, that means that (a) a good chunk of the large number of people watching it are likely desirable demographics and (b) you have one of the key ways to reach other audiences, which while not necessarily as valuable as the 25-40 crowd, aren't worthless (and there aren't as many ways to reach them, either).

Also, I think that it's mainly the original Law & Order that skews old. Special Victims Unit and Criminal Intent have younger casts and less cerebral storylines (as well as sometimes grislier crimes), and I believe they do attract that targeted audience.

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Coupling has been cancelled. Please pay your last respects over on the Coupling thread.

Let's keep this thread for other impending cancellations from NBC for the time being.

16. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

17. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

18. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

I agree wholeheartedly, I just thought that since the networks place so much weight on demographics that they would not be littering their networks with shows that don't appeal to said age group.

Personally, I think everything about the current ratings system is a joke and needs overhauling. Sweeps still mystifies me. Why would advertisers pay for rates set on Thursday at 8:30 set by a longer 'Friends' episode in sweeps when something like "Coupling" appears there regularly? I wouldn't pay 'em. Or how can these event movies set ad prices? Just because I tuned in to a movie on ABC on Sunday doesn't mean I'll always tune in. I watched THAT movie, not that channel.

And like was already pointed out, where did the myth come about that just because you passed 35 you no longer spend money? I know many older couples without children who purchase more of these products than I do in my thirties.

19. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

20. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

NBC's website is pretty funny these days. Click on a show, and see the same thing: "An upcoming episode has not yet been scheduled."

So next year, I guess we'll have Law & Order, Law & Order: SVU, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Law & Order: Cop Rock, Law & Order: AVerage Joe, Law & Order: Scrubs, and Law & Order: ER. Then one night we'll have the new Joey spinoff from Friends, for about three weeks, when it will get the "An upcoming episode has not yet been scheduled."

I'm getting sick of turning to NBC every week and finding out that a show I've been following is gone. Guess I'll just have to turn over to ABC and see if I can catch up on the Alias plotline, and maybe 24. It seems to be around, plus you get the DVD set at the end of the year. Beats the hell out of three or four shows and then nothing.

I don't think I'll ever watch a new NBC show again, at least not in the first year. I'll wait and let it get established, then either catch it in the summer or rent the DVD. No sense wasting any more time. (Of course, that doesn't actually work either. See Boomtown.)