NBC - US Open Coverage - HD?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by ChadM, Jun 18, 2005.

1. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

WTF?

2. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

WTF?

Am I missing something?
    NO HD!

3. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Well, the only thing your missing is the HD broadcast of the U.S. Open, which neither NBC nor ESPN saw fit to air in HD. NBC, I understand because they are hit or miss (mostly miss) as far as sports go in HD...but ESPN? They broadcast womens college softball in HD and they can't give us the U.S. Open? I have to say I'm VERY disappointed in both networks.

Bruce

4. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

Networks have disappointed me several times regarding sports lately.

The US Soccer match vs Panama was tape delayed on ESPN2. I am assuming so they could show bowling or something.

The NBA Finals don't start until after 9EST. No wonder no one watches.

And you are right neither ESPN or NBC chose to take an HD camera to the US Open. Amazing!

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Interesting--I saw it live, even though the commentary was in Spanish.

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The only network that has ever broadcast any professional golf in HD is CBS. Telecasting golf in HD takes a major committment from a network due to the number of cameras required and the difficulty in placing them over a large area such as a golf course. It has taken CBS a few years to get HD golf right at the Masters.

7. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I could be wrong, but I think ESPN just uses the same cameras that the main network doing the weekend coverage supplies, so if NBC decided not to go HD then ESPN had no choice in the matter.

Even CBS has backed off on its HD coverage of golf this year. It must be pretty expensive, but you would hope they could line up some sponsors to help underwrite it, especially for the majors.

8. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

Yep, Golf in high definition basically consists of the Masters (which looks terrific) and not much else.

It sure seems like the golden age of HDTV is already behind us. Not much additional HDTV content is being added and the broadcasters are splitting their bandwidth with additional channels, ruining the picture quality. I guess the least common denominator will be gorgeous static images and a picture that looks like DirecTV when there's any motion. Everything's a race to the bottom nowadays.