What's new

Peacock Peacock - NBC/Universal Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Per today's upfronts NBC/Universal will be launching a streaming service in mid 2020 which will be free with ads.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/nbc-upfronts-1202613694/

NBCUniversal gave the strongest hint yet that classic titles including The Office are set to be on the company’s forthcoming streaming service. At its glitzy upfront event at Radio City Music Hall in New York, ad boss Linda Yaccarino said that its most-loved titles were “coming home.”

Yaccarino, Chairman of Advertising & Client Partnerships at NBCUniversal, kicked off the nearly two-hour presentation and discussed the streaming service, which she said would launch in mid-2020.

“Next year we’re going to unveil the largest initiative in our company’s history: We’re going to have our own ad supported platform,” she said. “While other companies are pushing advertisers out, we’re bringing them in. It will have a slate of originals and a gigantic library of all favorites. The shows that people love the most and stream the most are coming home at a price that every person can afford: free.”

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Per today's upfronts NBC/Universal will be launching a streaming service in mid 2020 which will be free with ads.

“Next year we’re going to unveil the largest initiative in our company’s history: We’re going to have our own ad supported platform,” she said. “While other companies are pushing advertisers out, we’re bringing them in. It will have a slate of originals and a gigantic library of all favorites. The shows that people love the most and stream the most are coming home at a price that every person can afford: free.”
No thanks. I think my days of watching things with ads are pretty much done (with a few exceptions). Ad-free Hulu, CBS All Access, HBO, Netflix, etc has spoiled me to the point that it's hard for me to watch shows with ads anymore. Obviously I'll still watch the Oscars, some sporting events, and news. However, I've got too many other options to bother with movies and television series that have 18-20 minutes of commercials every hour.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Depends on how many subscription services at $5 to $10 per month you are willing to pay for. With NBC you will probably just have to go to the website on your computer and/or get it on your TV with Fire TV, Apple TV or Roku. If there is something you want to watch on the service you can. If you only find one show to watch a year, there is nothing to cancel and you are not paying for something you are not using. It is there if you want it. I see no reason to reject it.

Last edited:

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Depends on how many subscription services at $5 to $10 per month you are willing to pay for. With NBC you will probably just have to go to the website on your computer and/or get it on your TV with Fire TV, Apple TV or Roku. If there is something you want to watch on the service you can. If you only find one show to watch a year, there is nothing to cancel and you are not paying for something you are not using. It is there if you want it. I see no reason to reject it.
That's all true. I would just be more interested if NBC/Universal did something similar to what Disney is doing.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Are they pulling their stuff off of other platforms? Will they offer a paid ad-free sub?

If all these companies pull their content away from Netflix, it will kill them IMO. I'm not into Netflix originals like some, I only watch a few of them but, none of them will keep me around if Netflix loses my favorite old shows. I use Netflix to re-watch old stuff more than anything, mainly Star Trek. Just finished re-watching The Office earlier this year. The West Wing is one all the time. If Trek ever leaves than Netflix is dead to me, their original stuff is not worth $15.99 per month, not to me at least.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Are they pulling their stuff off of other platforms? Will they offer a paid ad-free sub?

If all these companies pull their content away from Netflix, it will kill them IMO. I'm not into Netflix originals like some, I only watch a few of them but, none of them will keep me around if Netflix loses my favorite old shows. I use Netflix to re-watch old stuff more than anything, mainly Star Trek. Just finished re-watching The Office earlier this year. The West Wing is one all the time. If Trek ever leaves than Netflix is dead to me, their original stuff is not worth $15.99 per month, not to me at least.

It depends on the contracts they signed with Netflix, how long they are for , does Netflix have the option to renew, and are the shows are exclusive to Netflix. The deal for each show could be different. If the studios can get back their shows from Netflix, I am sure they will. If studios can make more money from their own streaming services why would they continue to make the shows available to Netflix. The days of one place to get the majority of the shows you want appears to be ending.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

NBCUniversal gave the strongest hint yet that classic titles including The Office are set to be on the company’s forthcoming streaming service. At its glitzy upfront event at Radio City Music Hall in New York, ad boss Linda Yaccarino said that its most-loved titles were “coming home.”

Yaccarino, Chairman of Advertising & Client Partnerships at NBCUniversal, kicked off the nearly two-hour presentation and discussed the streaming service, which she said would launch in mid-2020.

I would much rather they have a $5 or so ad free tier in addition to the free with ads tier.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If all these companies pull their content away from Netflix, it will kill them IMO.

My guess is that Netflix’s original content is popular enough to withstand the loss of most of their licensed content. I think stuff like old Star Trek and West Wing episodes and the like don’t really drive subscriptions. I think they’re nice to have and enjoyed by subscribers but I would bet that they’re not why most people are there.

Netflix’s goal isn’t to be a repository of all content that’s ever existed. It’s to create enough original, culturally relevant content on a regular basis so that the vast majority of their subscribers will always have a compelling reason to have an active membership.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
CBS All Access has two fee structure, one with ads, one without but you have to pay for both. NBC has a free option. As they haven't formerly announced the NBC service, they may have a pay option, who knows. The Warner Media service will have 3 tiers apparently without a free option. They are trying to position themselves as a more premium service drawing from HBO, Turner, and Warner Bros.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
The Warner Media service will have 3 tiers apparently without a free option. They are trying to position themselves as a more premium service drawing from HBO, Turner, and Warner Bros.

It will be free to HBO subscribers

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
It will be free to HBO subscribers

That is good to know.

In one year, NBCUniversal will have the right to exhibit on its own OTT service certain content that it currently licenses exclusively to Hulu in return for reducing the license fee payable by Hulu. On Monday, at the NBCU upfront presentation, ad sales chief Linda Yaccarino said several recognizable titles would be “coming home” to NBCU as the company prepares the launch of a free, ad-supported streaming service in 2020.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Where will The Office, Friends, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and Supernatural be in five years?
Understanding today’s huge streaming news

office.0.jpg

Disney is set to take full control of Hulu, which means many beloved NBC shows currently streaming on the platform will disappear by 2024. Between that and AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson confirming that some of WarnerMedia’s most popular series would leave Netflixto land exclusively on the company’s upcoming streaming service, the future of streaming is about to change.

Or to put it simply, the streaming world that most cord-cutting consumers have grown to know over the last few years is coming to an end.

Licensing details have become excruciatingly complicated. The reason for this is because some studios don’t own the distribution rights to their shows that have wound up on independent streaming services. For example, Friends was an NBC show that is distributed by Warner Bros. Television, which is now on Netflix. The nitty-gritty also doesn’t particularly matter to millions of subscribers who just want to know where their favorite shows are going to end up, but those details do matter to content companies with certain distribution rights that are launching streaming services this year and next. Both Netflix’s chief content officer Ted Sarandos and Disney CEO Bob Iger have told investors in previous calls that deals with content owners like WarnerMedia and NBCUniversal are being worked out, but don’t expect Friends, The Office, or ER to stick around.

1-friends.0.jpg

Many of Netflix and Hulu’s most watched shows are poised to leave the services between the beginning of 2020 and 2025. Netflix’s $100 million deal to keep Friends exclusively on its platform ends at the end of this year, and Stephenson wants it on his network’s streaming service. Say goodbye to Friends, Netflix subscribers. Other shows like The Office are also probably leaving Netflix, as Comcast and NBCUniversal gear up for their own streaming service, which is set to launch next year. As The Wall Street Journal reported last month, “the three companies launching new streaming services have created TV shows and movies that make up nearly 40 percent of the viewing minutes on Netflix.”
The Office remains the most-watched show on Netflix, and if the company wants to keep it, there’s a good chance it will cost them even more than $100 million (based on what it paid to keep Friends, the streaming service’s third most popular show).

It’s the same on Hulu’s front. Hulu will retain streaming rights to all of NBCUniversal’s shows already on the platform, according to the company, through 2024. By 2021, NBCUniversal has the right to stream certain shows, like Saturday Night Live and This Is Us on its own platform, but not exclusively. It’s a win-win deal for both companies: Hulu can pay a reduced licensing fee to NBCUniversal in order to get some of its shows on its own platform, and Disney gains full control over Hulu, allowing the company to make decisions without worrying about input from other stakeholders, including the decision to take Hulu international.

But what does this mean for the people sitting at home with a limited entertainment budget who are trying to figure out which streaming services to subscribe to in order to watch Friends, The Office, Parks and Recreation, The Big Bang Theory ER, Bob’s Burgers, South Park, or NCIS?

Unfortunately, we don’t know for certain. None of the various media executives involved have specifically called out individual series. There is enough data, however, to make educated guesses about what shows AT&T and Comcast will want to take for their respective WarnerMedia and NBCUniversal streaming services.

To see the impact of these changes, consider the most popular streaming content today. According to numerous analytics firms in 2018, these were the most-watched licensed shows on Netflix and Hulu in 2018:

Netflix:

• The Office (NBCUniversal)
  • Friends (WarnerMedia)
  • Parks and Recreation (NBCUniversal)
  • Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)
  • Criminal Minds (CBS)
  • New Girl (Fox)
  • Supernatural (WarnerMedia)
  • Frasier (WarnerMedia)
  • NCIS (CBS)
Hulu:

• Law and Order: SVU (NBCUniversal)
  • This is Us (NBCUniversal)
  • ER (WarnerMedia)
  • Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)
  • The Good Doctor (ABC)
  • Family Guy (Fox)
  • South Park (Viacom)
  • Bob’s Burgers (Fox)
  • Brooklyn Nine-Nine (NBCUniversal)
Seven of the nine most popular licensed shows on Netflix — comfort TV that people tune in to watch night after night — are likely to be pulled over the next few years. The Office and Parks and Recreation will almost certainly end up exclusively on NBCUniversal’s streaming service. Linda Yaccarino, chairman of advertisements and partnerships at NBCUniversal, told an audience gathered for the company’s Upfront event in New York on May 13th that the company’s most adored series were “coming home,” according to Deadline. The trade publication also reported that NBCUniversal CEO Steve Burke said that company would “try to reclaim titles like The Office once the service launches.”

It’s not just NBCUniversal, though. Based on Stephenson’s comments, shows like Friends, Frasier, and Supernatural would stream exclusively on WarnerMedia’s service. TVLinepreviously reported that Netflix’s deal with The CW (which is half owned by WarnerMedia) is up this spring, and it’s likely that some of the most popular shows, like Arrow, The Vampire Diaries, and Supernatural would be pulled from Netflix at that time.

Fox’s deal with the streaming platform. Now that Disney owns Fox and Hulu, it’s likely that New Girl will stay there. Grey’s Anatomy, which runs on Disney-owned ABC, is likely to move to Hulu, too, according to a report from Deadline. Of the nine shows listed above, only NCIS and Criminal Minds, which belong to CBS, are likely to remain on Netflix at this point (unless CBS decides to start withdrawing shows for its own CBS All Access service). The company hasn’t started to do that yet, but considering exclusivity is becoming a major draw in these streaming wars, it could happen.

Hulu is in a slightly different boat because Disney has two major content creators and distributors: Fox and ABC. Iger even told an audience gathered for the MoffettNathanson Media & Communications Summit in New York that the main benefit of taking full control of Hulu was “being able to leverage the content engines the company already has,” according to Deadline.

While This is Us, Law & Order: SVU, and Brooklyn Nine-Nine are likely to leave Hulu and stream on NBCUniversal’s service once their deal is up in 2024, shows like Bob’s Burgers, Family Guy, Grey’s Anatomy, and The Good Doctor are safe on Hulu.

It’s complicated. And with a tangled web of TV licensing, network agreement, and various streaming rights, it can get annoyingly complicated. Here’s a good breakdown by Recode’s Peter Kafka on the rights to This is Us to show just how complicated it gets:

This Is Us is an interesting example of what happens when big TV companies license their stuff to other big TV companies and how that can get very complicated in a streaming world: The hit show was made by 21st Century Fox, and NBC has paid a license fee to air it. Since NBC was (and is) a Hulu owner, Hulu currently has the rights to air the most recent episodes of the show, as well as all the old episodes. But under the terms of NBC’s recent renewal of the show, NBC will have the rights to bring all of the new episodes it is airing to its own, yet-to-be-launched streaming service, in three years. That is: In few years, older episodes of This Is Us will run on Hulu, while every episode that is airing now, and over the next three years, could go to NBCU’s service.

What’s clear from these deals that are still being figured out behind the scenes at major corporations is that some of the best comfort television that subscribers use Netflix and Hulu to watch aren’t going to be on Netflix and Hulu in the coming years. Everything is changing. As streaming becomes the obvious way for television companies and studios to continue selling a product to a cord-cutting customer base, exclusivity is going to become increasingly important.

Enjoy Friends, The Office, and Brooklyn Nine-Nine on Netflix and Hulu now. We won’t be able to soon.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I think the last week has definitely seen a seismic shift in the streaming landscape. Disney/Fox, Warner's, and Universal announced pulling their content from Netflix and Hulu in favor of their own services. Hulu brought under full Disney control.

I think this time next year things will look drastically different. My gut says the next step will be this:

1) Somebody will buy Paramount and MGM (or they will combine). Neither alone is strong enough to do much in this new marketplace.

2) There will begin the shift away from what we today call cable TV. I think you will no longer subscribe to, say, Charter cable, or Direct TV, or a streamer like Sling TV, and will instead get all of your programming, whether it be movies, TV, sports, or news (Disney owns Fox News and Warner CNN, after all) direct from the studios.

In my opinion, the future is subscribing to Disney, Warner, Universal, and Paramount/MGM, and you will get all of your visual content there.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Somebody will buy Paramount

It seems likely that CBS and Paramount will be merged together at some point in the future; splitting them up was an ill-conceived idea, and especially in today's media landscape, there are lots of reasons why it makes sense for them to once again be one company instead of two.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
It's pretty amazing that they have a free version already. It's on 7 nights a week and I haven't watched a show there in a decade. So they are going back to shows from 10-20 years ago (Office, Friends, Frasier, etc.) to build a brand new service. Why don't they get back to putting good shows on their already existing free network, limiting the commercials and see if they win anyone back.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It seems likely that CBS and Paramount will be merged together at some point in the future; splitting them up was an ill-conceived idea, and especially in today's media landscape, there are lots of reasons why it makes sense for them to once again be one company instead of two.

Besides the Star Trek movie franchise, what other assets are the "crown jewels" owned outright by Paramount?

What is the likelihood of somebody else gobbling up Paramount, who is not CBS?

Disney? Comcast/Universal? Sony? AT&T/Warner?

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
Where will The Office, Friends, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and Supernatural be in five years?

Who cares? Few are going to care about those shows in five years. Anyone who cared will have already watched them all numerous times.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs

I think you're very much the exception. I suspect the vast majority of those subscribing to Netflix at this point are doing so for their new, original shows. Stuff like Friends and The Office may be popular, but I don't think their absence will make much of a difference to most subscribers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks