What's new

NBC To Bring Back Heroes in Heroes Reborn (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I enjoyed the series. But the ending was weak. Had the finale been amazing, it would have elevated the entire mini-season. Unfortunately it highlighted the sundry problems.

Notably, the narrative indicated that Tommy spent eons in the virtual world, recovering memories, learning his skill, becoming a master of time and space beyond what Hiro had ever imagined. But the show only displayed him watching 90 seconds of memories, completing the time loop in a few minutes. The show failed to evoke the interminable Groundhog Day experience.

Overall, the finale seemed to have surprised the writers: suddenly the holidays were over and they had two episodes to cram four-shows worth of narrative into to finish it off. And they had to retcon motivations onto a "villain" who was without motivation the entire series.

And, at the end, I was wrong: Tommy's power made no sense. I was expecting Tommy to steal his sister's power and merge time/space power with Gaia magic to thwart the HELE. That would have made sense and marginally fit the rules established. Instead, he stole a power when he touched someone, except when he didn't. Because, plot. And then when he and his sister held hands with a third person in between, PLOT MAGIC, person dies and world saved. It made no sense and verged on Ex Machina.

And they didn't even have the decency to end it. Instead, they lurched into a last-ditch cliffhanger never to be resolved.

It was a fun show. Noah Bennet elevated every scene he was in. Hiro, always a treat (too many butterflies, indeed). But it stumbled across the finish line, leaving me a little more sour instead of little more ebullient on the one-off.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
DaveF said:
And, at the end, I was wrong: Tommy's power made no sense.

I think on the whole, I liked the finale more than you did, but on this point we completely agree :) I was expecting that she wouldn't be strong enough, or tapped out, or mortally wounded, and he would take her power to finish the job, which would have made sense. But Tommy's power hasn't made sense since the beginning, and if he was a minor character it wouldn't matter as much, but when the whole climax is built around something that doesn't quite work, it lessens the impact of the whole. The power stealing or threat of power stealing from Tommy seems like a contrivance whenever it's used. He steals Claire's power but not his sister's in the womb, but the more I think about it, the more it seems that's not really about plot sense, that's about not wanting to pay Hayden Paniettiere to come back. Stuff like that has a way of bugging me because it doesn't feel like characters evolving or growing with time, it feels like writers sitting in a room coming up with something. And speaking of Tommy's powers not making any sense… if he was truly that powerful where he could change anything, why not simply go back in time and reset the entire thing? Or why not do the thousand or million things you could do if you weren't burdened by the constraints of time and space?

I realize it's futile to try to criticize a show like this for certain powers not being "realistic" but the power stealing thing never sat right with me, going back to when Robert Forster had the power stealing ability in the third season. I was okay with the idea that Peter, Sylar and others could copy powers from people, but my problem with outright theft is that since they've established that the power is part of their genes… you can't just magically change someone's genes. I have no problem believing that characters could mimic powers they've been exposed to if they had genes for mimicry, but I just don't buy the outright removal of power in the way the show has done it.

Still, I liked the last two episodes more than all of the ones that came before it, but I still had issues with the entire run. It's hard to put my finger one exactly what bothered me most, but I think probably how character motivations went unexplained or under explained or didn't make sense, and how many characters from the original run were brought back to serve very little purpose, and then just die. Matt Parkman fared the worse in that regard; I don't think Parkman in the original series was the smartest character but I think he always had a good heart, and in this version of Heroes, that heart was completely absent. There were so many opportunities for the writers to make his transition credible, either by having something terrible happen to him that explained his descent, or having him being deep undercover and ultimately on the good guys side, but to paraphrase what you were saying, so much didn't feel like organic plot development, it felt like writers writing. "We need a mind-reader, who can control people, and we'd like to get some original cast members back, but we can't some of the biggest names, so who fits that? Grunberg!" And if you're gonna bring Matt Parkman and Molly Walker back (and that recasting still strikes me as unnecessary), how can they not have a scene together? It seems like they brought old characters back just to die. Hi Molly, goodbye Molly. Hi Matt, goodbye Matt. Hi Hiro, goodbye Hiro. Hi Noah, goodbye Noah. One of my criticisms of the first run of the show was that they kept characters around way longer than made sense, and it felt more like "We've got Ali Larter under contract, so we're gonna use her" rather than it making sense to have as many identical twin sisters as she did. Here, they've gone too far in the opposite direction, killing everyone.

The first season of the original show, I bought hook, line and sinker.. I was IN for that ride, suspension of disbelief was on full, and I enjoyed it from start to finish. Each season those feelings diminished for me until the fourth (final) season, when I was finally watching something that I didn't recognize, didn't enjoy, and couldn't understand why I was still committing to. If nothing else, I enjoyed Heroes Reborn way more than Heroes Season 4. I don't think I'll ever rewatch either, but I no longer have that terrible taste in my mouth from when the original version of the show ended. So I guess that's something.

I agree that the little tag on the end meant to be a cliffhanger was more annoying than anything. I think I was even more annoyed when I looked up the link Neil shared, and found out that the twins were fathered by a character we've never been introduced to or heard of before. Sylar would have made a believable choice for the father in terms of the powers the twins have and certainly is a threat, as Angela warned at the very end… but it's not really believable that Sylar and Claire would be together in any consensual way, and I don't see a major broadcast show going with a non-consensual father choice. So it just seems like one of those writing things that doesn't really work, especially as a short tease.

And I agree that Noah and Hiro were the highlights of the show.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Josh Steinberg said:
I think on the whole, I liked the finale more than you did, but on this point we completely agree :) ...

Though I'm very critical of it at the end, I enjoyed it start to stop. Never once did I consider giving up on it. I enjoyed re-connecting with the 'universe' and these characters. While some commented on the dated and low-rent effects, I never noticed that. Maybe it's so out of date that it feels fresh to me. But I like the straight-on, earnest and brightly-lit approach to the production.

And though the new cast doesn't have the screen-presence, nor writing, of the first season, I didn't have problems with them. I hoped for more, but I wasn't put out with what I got.

But, at the end, the story-telling problems were obvious and major and retroactively reduce my enthusiasm for an otherwise enjoyable superhero / time-travel story.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Josh Steinberg said:
He steals Claire's power but not his sister's in the womb, but the more I think about it, the more it seems that's not really about plot sense, that's about not wanting to pay Hayden Paniettiere to come back.
He didn't steal Claire's power. I think Claire died dead because bitch sister was blocking ALL the powers. I think....

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I suppose that's possible, but that's not what the show says. After Hiro and Angela escape to the past, it's Angela that announces he has a power stealing ability.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
He definitely was a power leecher rather than a power sharer (except with his sister, at the end). It's why Hiro is the former master of time and space.

I don't contest any of Dave's criticisms of the finale; it's just that my bar was set so low by that point that I didn't expect any better than what we got.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.