What's new

NBC To Bring Back Heroes in Heroes Reborn (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The one thing I remember about Matt Parkman was that he had to be the single stupidest character to ever be able to read people's minds. And this goes back to the first season, which I loved. The show made a big deal out how his problem was dyslexia. No, his problem was that he was a moron.

I wonder if they're going to bring back Molly, the girl whose parents were murdered who was inexplicably living with him when Season 2 started? I can't remember if she died or not. Man, those later seasons were a mess.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Lou Sytsma said:
The only thing pulling me into watch this is Zac Levi. Thought he was great in the first two seasons of Chuck and parts of the third season.

Yes, the first three seasons of Chuck were really good. After that, the show went downhill fast and I HATED the ending. Actually, season 3 was a wrap and better conculusion to the show with a nice ending. They didn't know if they would come back for a 4th, so it wrapped up fairly well and I stop watching there. Sort of like how Buffy really ended at season 5.

I can't imagine "Kringe" would bring anything to the table for another chance, he was just dreadful except for maybe the first season.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Character motion posters:

Carlos (Embrace who you are):

Heroes_S05_001.gif

Molly (Sacrifice what you must):

Heroes_S05_002.gif

Noah (Forget what you know):

Heroes_S05_003.gif

Malina (Save what you can):

Heroes_S05_004.gif

Tommy (Unleash what you are):

pqet8ji.gif

Joanne (Hunt what you hate):

GhLBNN8.gif

Luke (Avenge what you lost):

yCYjEH7.gif

Miko (Protect who you love):

nUPE3oT.gif

Emily (Defend what is right):

TsfFra8.gif

Erica (Take what you want):
telQtC7.gif

Quentin (Expose what they did):

YxOGfKa.gif

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Comic-Con trailer:

Say what you will about the show itself, but NBC's promo department has always knocked it out of the park for the show.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
With a set number of episodes and seeming awareness of where they went wrong, I'm willing to give it another shot.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
NBC's release for the first two episodes, airing back to back two weeks from tomorrow:

"HEROES REBORN"

"BRAVE NEW WORLD / ODESSA"

09/24/2015 (08:00PM - 10:00PM) (Thursday) : HEROES NEW AND OLD MUST COME TOGETHER TO SAVE THE WORLD - 2-HOUR SEASON PREMIERE EVENT - JIMMY JEAN-LOUIS, PRUITT TAYLOR VINCE, TORU UCHIKADO, EVE HARLOW AND FRANCESCA EASTWOOD GUEST STAR - After a terrorist attack in Odessa, Texas, left the city decimated and lives in shambles, those with extraordinary abilities are in hiding after being blamed for the catastrophic event. A new world order has them being hunted by those with nefarious motives, such as Luke (Zachary Levi) and Joanne Collins (Judi Shekoni), who are out to avenge a tragic loss of their son. Meanwhile, Noah Bennet (Jack Coleman) has taken measures to put his old life behind him and start over, until he comes face to face with Quentin Frady (Henry Zebrowski), a conspiracy theorist out to uncover the truth behind the Odessa tragedy. Elsewhere, some are discovering their newfound skills. Awkward teen Tommy (Robbie Kay) just wants to be normal and win the girl of his dreams, Emily (Gatlin Green), but normalcy is virtually impossible after learning of a new ability that terrifies him. Coming from a very sheltered upbringing, a bold and ethereal teenager, Malina (Danika Yarosh), has been told she is destined for greatness. In Tokyo, a quiet and unique young woman, Miko (Kiki Sukezane), is trying to track down her missing father while hiding an extraordinary secret that will make her a force to be reckoned with. In Los Angeles, a different type of hero is emerging through former soldier Carlos (Ryan Guzman). For better or for worse, some are fated to cross paths with assorted heroes of the past and together their ultimate destiny is nothing less than saving the world and mankind.

Eve Harlow was terrific on "The 100" last season. Francesca Eastwood (yes, Clint's daughter) is playing:

Molly Walker, played by Adair Tishler in the original series. Tishler was only nine when she originated the role, but the 22-year-old Eastwood is only three years older. Hard to believe nearly a decade has passed since the original show.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Well, the first two episodes aired tonight. I was surprised how much it felt like the same old show. To a certain degree, that's a bad thing because the state of television has come a long way in the last five and a half years. But mostly, it was a good thing, because everything I loved about the show the first time around is still there.

The first two hours got the show off to a much better start than Seasons 2 through 4. Noah Bennet will be in the first paragraph of Jack Coleman's obituary, and rightfully so; he's absolutely terrific in it. Making HRG the main POV character was a really interesting and effective twist.

One of the problems with the original show is that it always seemed like at least a couple of the characters the show was following at any given time were duds; Ali Larter's Niki Sanders comes to mind, as well as most of Matt Parkman's storylines. By contrast, none of the new characters grated me and most of the storylines actively kept my interest.

Francesca Eastwood was terrific as the older Molly Walker; the writing and the performance did a good job conveying someone who has managed to successfully evade some very powerful forces for years.

Zachary Levi was also good as the vengeful father, unnerving in his inscrutability. The contrast between him and his wife was also fascinating to watch.

The storyline in Japan is the most mysterious. Kiki Sukezane was captivating as Miko, even though we know virtually nothing about her except that she's trying to save her father. The MMORPG twist was interesting, though I can't quite imagine how the science behind it works.

Pruitt Taylor Vince's character is intriguing. He's cleaning up after the boy Tommy, but I can't understand why. I'm also not entirely convinced we know all there is to know about the cute ice cream parlor girl. She seems a little too sweet and wholesome.

The biggest accomplishment, though, was to create a show that clearly occupies the same universe as the original, without getting bogged down in the layers of mythology. The show only cares about the mythology that pertains to the evidently looming crisis, and doles it out in effective little teases rather than pausing the action for exposition. And there's a cynical streak of dark humor in the new episodes that's more engaging than the often too on-the-nose writing of the original.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
As many will probably remember, I was a big fan of the original series--including the weaker later seasons. I disagree with Adam that the weak point was some of the characters, rather the main problem was that the show defiantly refused to give the audience what it clearly wanted: a bunch of superheroes eventually coming together to fight one or more villains. Instead, we received origin story after origin story (though most were well told) and hints of characters "teaming up." However, the story never moved much beyond a typical first season: it simply retold the first season over and over.

I'm hoping that this time we get more.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Josh Dial said:
However, the story never moved much beyond a typical first season: it simply retold the first season over and over.

Yep, that's what drove me away (and drove me crazy).

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Walter C said:
I thought each season got less entertaining as the show went on, to a point where I could not finish watching the final season. Hard to believe that it is being brought back, but I guess that shows the desperation of NBC.

What this series needed was a long break; long enough for the showrunners to take a time out and rethink their strategy. I'm sure NBC had something to do with the quality of the show going south - they probably cut their budget and pressured the writers to water down the storylines. This series had (has?) so much potential. I got rid of cable so I'll never know if they'll come back refreshed or if it will be the same old same old.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
"Coming from a very sheltered upbringing, a bold and ethereal teenager, Malina (Danika Yarosh), has been told she is destined for greatness."

Did I already forget her, or has she not been introduced yet? I just watched both hours last night, and I can't for the life of me remember this particular story line.

I thought it was ok, not great. I'll continue to watch to see if it picks up. I thought the Japanese video game storyline was reallly bad.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Jeff Cooper said:
"Coming from a very sheltered upbringing, a bold and ethereal teenager, Malina (Danika Yarosh), has been told she is destined for greatness."

Did I already forget her, or has she not been introduced yet? I just watched both hours last night, and I can't for the life of me remember this particular story line.

She was the blonde girl manipulating the Northern Lights in the arctic circle.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Caught the first 2 episodes on the Scy-fy channel, they weren't that good. I liked the scenes with Noah Bennett and the ones with the kid who could teleport things but that's about it. The Special Effects were pretty weak too. Maybe the episodes will improve when more of the original series regulars show up.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
How many years have passed in story years for Molly to be much more grown up than I had remembered in the first Heroes go-round?

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Patrick Sun said:
How many years have passed in story years for Molly to be much more grown up than I had remembered in the first Heroes go-round?

I don't know for sure, but does it matter with a time traveler in the story?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Finally caught up with the two hour premiere yesterday.

For the record, I absolutely loved the first season of Heroes. I recall binge watching the entirety of season one over a four day Thanksgiving weekend on HD-DVD (maybe in 2007?) The original series kind of came apart for me in season three and if I recall it was because of how Sylar was handled, or more appropriately mis-handled. I think I started season four and just lost interest.

Anyway, on to Heroes Reborn. I kind of agree with Adam's first paragraph in post #48. I was surprised how much it felt like the old series and that is a mixed bag for me. The flight effect with the halo felt like it would have been something associated with Nathan Petrelli (and maybe it was ??) Television has progressed since then, so the series almost feels 'dated' in a strange sort of way. The amber glow of the night scenes in East Los Angeles felt really familiar as well in terms of the original show's cinematography.

I guess I'm hanging around to see where the show goes, but it didn't completely put me under its spell the way the original series did, and perhaps that is because of the intervening years.

LEROY JENKINS! almost made up for any misgivings I might have had in the first two hours. Had me rolling. :)

- Walter.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
nnnnLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY JJJJJEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNSSSS!!!!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
Adair Tishler, the original actress to play Molly Walker, is 19. while the new actress Francesca Eastwood just turned 22 last month. Given that the "new" Molly is believable as 19, it pretty much tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.