What's new

NBC Holiday Programming Question: (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Guys, for years NBC has shown, "It's A Wonderful Life," twice during the Hoiiday season. Usually once after Thanksgiving, and than on Christmas Eve. That's great. Years past, they also showed The Incredibles on Thanksgiving or Black Friday evening.

With the Coronavirus interfering with everything, I found myself what "older programming" could NBC show since a great many things are shut down. Now, mind you this is hypothetical. But I would love NBC to show the British black and white Holiday film, "The Holly and The Ivy." I've never seen it, but I've hard good things about it. Of course, I'd also bring back the Mary Martin version of Peter Pan because NBC always used to show it. And I'm a big believer in tradition.

I would love to go show some "lost" Christmas specials like The Great Santa Switch, Richard Williams version of A Christmas Carol, etc. Look for ones that haven't been seen in years, but might have an emotional connection to the network.

Same for CBS. Instead of showing big blockbusters that we've already seen on the CBS Movie, look for old tv movies from the seventies and eighties to present.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

--james

JackieT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackie
Sorry but that would never fly in this era. Broadcast tv is near death and playing old obscure movies or shows would cause an immediate turn off of the channel.

They need to stick to true classics for the season.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Jackie. At least someone read my post. But don't you think the broadcast networks might benefit from showing fairly close to being classic films and movies.

--james

JackieT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackie
No. They are out to get viewers and money. Showing obscure movies or tv shows like by few would net them near 0 dollars and 0 viewers.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
No. They are out to get viewers and money. Showing obscure movies or tv shows like by few would net them near 0 dollars and 0 viewers.

But showing the "next" It's a Wonderful Life might hit a chord of nostalgia during the Christmas season. Also, NBC is already showing It's A Wonderful Life, twice during the holidays already, and they do rerun specials, and if the pandemic has left them a little short . . . Maybe a little obscure something may be better than nothing.
--jthree

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks