NBC and the ridiculous tag lines....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Nov 9, 2001.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

You know the ones that go: "ER: The Storm" or "Third Watch: Heart Race". Every episode has a special tag line. I think it started with Homicide. It was ok when used once and a while for a big episode. But, now they use it for everything.

2. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Friends: The wedding.
    I think it is annoying too.

3. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Worse is their stupid 'coming attractions' which have become so funny. For instance 'The West Wing' which had the laughable last line, "Oh yeah, did we mention the missing submarine?"
    I'm sure in the context of next week's story it'll make sense, but that's hardly enticing info to get me excited. Not to mention it's done on almost every commercial. For "Providence" : "Oh yeah, did we mention the Hurricane?"
    NBC needs new marketing people.

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

It's a habit of UPN and WB, too - witness next week's "Roswell - The Wedding" and February's "Roswell - The Hybrid Chronicles". It doesn't bother me too much, although I'd rather they used the actual episode titles. Indeed, if they're going to be running a series of tightly-connected episodes, I'd like it if they went with a unifying "arc name" more often.

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

NBC had "Will and Grace - The Proposal" last week. In general, NBC's promos annoy me; they're all the same - the cast standing together, looking grim (dramas) or smug (comedies), facing the camera which is slightly above them, while beingo photographed in some kind of fish-eye lense and the weird transparent NBC logo looking like a big blob that tries to eat them. Kill those spots NOW, please.
    Jay Leno had a decent spoof of them a while ago, BTW.
    /Mike

6. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Conan O'Brien made fun of an absurd promo for the Weakest Link, where they sang Rick James' "Superfreak," with different words about the show, including the refrain: "Super-Weaky" I swear to god, this is what they sang:
    Weakest Link, Weakest Link
    It's Super-Weaky
    Needless to say, Conan could not stop asking, "What does Super-Weaky mean?"
    That has got to be the worst promo ever.

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

NBC is the worst, with all the "shocking ending you won't believe" crap. I thought it was real funny last week, when the promo for Providence (at the end of ER) said, "This time, we promise somebody gets married." I don't watch the show, so I'm guessing they've over-promised and under-delivered in the past.
    On balance, I guess it pays off for them. The promos might get those on the fence to watch, and those of us that were going to watch anyway just get annoyed.
    I just wonder if the promo people have any self-respect.
    //Ken

9. Dave Barth

Dave Barth Stunt Coordinator

NBC's promos bug the hell out of me, too. NBC's "DON'T MISS THE LAST FIVE MINUTES" gives away every twist ending. They also tend to reveal way too much: "You'll never guess... [X]" when the very question being asked leads you to the answer.

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

This is the end of Western civilization as we know it.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

The worst was when they did for Frasier about Niles and Dafne. For three years they kept saying that they were gonna hook up. They'd show a scene that looked they were going to kiss or something, then when you watched the show it was in a completely different context. By the time the two characters actually did hook up, I just didn't care.

12. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I know what you mean, they sound so on-the-spot-made-up!
    Like these, check it out...
    The West Wing, The Addition!
    Diagnosis Murder, The Murder!
    Three's Company, The Misunderstanding!
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Vampire Slayer!
    See how easy it is!
    ------------------
    To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
    God bless you.
    To the victims and their families
    God keep you.
    To the dirtbags who caused all this
    God help you!!!

13. Jeremy-P

Jeremy-P Stunt Coordinator

I agree, "super-weaky" is the worst NBC promo I've ever seen, it's so lame it must have a cult following by now [​IMG]
    But I think their worst hook ever is "If you haven't seen it, it's new to you!", in trying to justify summer reruns. Oh it's new to me, you say? How wonderful! I chose to ignore every episode of Will & Grace, and now I have a chance to redeem myself? Thank you NBC, thank you!! [​IMG]