What's new

NBA PLayoffs 2003 (1 Viewer)

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
It's obvious the Spurs have one good half in them. If they blow out the other team in the first half, watch out in the 2nd, thigns are going to get ugly, fo rwhatever reason. If though, at halftime, it's a close game, then the Spurs take off in the second half and win pretty well. So it's obvious they need to play even with their opponent in the first half, otherwise they fall apart in the second.

As for the Nets, they're good, about midway between Phoenix and Dallas. However, I think their long layoff will hurt them, and the Spurs have been tested pretty well now. They've played a grind it out team, a quick team, and a lightning fast team, they've seen anythign New Jersey can throw at them. The Finals won't be a blow-out, but I still think the Spurs will win pretty solidly.

And yes, I am assuming the Spurs will beat Dallas. However, given that they need to win only 1 of the next 2 games, have lost 2 in a row only once since December, and haven't lost 3 in a row all season, I think that's a reasonably safe assumption.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
That's an interesting observation, Chris. The last game where they put the Lakers away was a close contest and they pulled away in the fourth. That is odd: they can play well down the stretch if they've been challenged all game and the score is close. But for whatever reason, if they enter the fourth quarter with a 15+ point lead, jeez hold on to your hats, Spurs fans!

Hunter P

Screenwriter
The Spurs choke again and the Mavs pass yet another gut check. 23 pts in the second half: disgraceful. I watched that game like witnessing a train wreck. Nelson really out-coached Pop last night.

NBA teams love to exploit perceived weaknesses. New Jersey is never going to laydown in the fourth because they know they are never out of it. I expect Scott to experiment with some of Nelson's tactics, like the hack-a-Bowen. Even if Bowen hits over 50% of his FT's it seems to take the Spurs totally out of their rhythm.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Once again the Spurs could have won had they just made free throws. Spurs had about 15 more chances than the Mavs and only made one more attempt (Mavs were a perfect 23 for 23).

A story in the Dallas Morning News today indicates that Dirk may play. We will see.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I'd actually prefer it if Dirk plays. Dallas is a more predictable team with him on the court. LIke Popovich said, they're better with him on, but more dangerous with him off.

As for the one good half theory, I stand by it. The Spurs have lost 6 games in the playoffs, 1 of them was a 1st quarter blowout they never recovered from (game 3 vs LA, LA outscored us by 20+ in the 1st, it was even the rest of the game, but we never recovered). The other 5 all came from blown 1st half, double digit leads. The rest that we've won have eitehr been hanging onto that lead by teh skin of our teeth (game 5 vs LA), holding on pretty well (game 2 vs Dallas), or close games in the 1st half that we won in the 2nd. Every awesome 1st half the Spurs have had has been followed by a terrible 2nd. When they play even or slightly below the other team, they have a much much stronger 2nd half.

Moral of this lessoon Dallas fans? If the Spurs have a great first half and are killing you guys, rejoice, because you guys are then playing the clock, not the Spurs. If, though, it's a close game at halftime, watch out in the 2nd, because the Spurs are gonna come out a lot stronger.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Did you read the quote from Van Exel, Chris? When asked about the Mavs defense, he said that they were better defensively with Dirk off the floor.

I would expect that to be even more the case should he play tonight. Pretty hard to move from side to side with a knee injury.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I don't think there should be a question if Dirk plays or not. He should play--end of story. Unless he physically cannot walk at all, he should play. Unless his leg is in a cast, he should play. The guy has a sprain and some pain? Do I really need to repeat myself? OK, I will: HE SHOULD PLAY.

There is plenty of time to heal in the off season which starts tomorrow if he doesn't play. This is what separates the heart of a champion from an also-ran.

Nelson's whole "I don't want to risk his career for one playoff" speech after game 4 was pretty disturbing to me. Sounds like Nelson doesn't know what it takes to be a champion either.

Nelson needs to go right now to the salon where Dirk and Steve Nash are getting their game-time hairdos. He needs to tell Dirk take his head out of that hairdryer and suit up.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Whether or not Dirk plays should be left up to a doctor. Not the team doctor but a neutral party. If playing means he'll be in pain healing for a couple of months in the off season then he should absolutely play, but it's entirely possible that with an injury like that if it doesn't heal right the first time it will never heal at all. It would be worse both for the man and for the franchise if Dirk turned into a Grant Hill.

Lowell_B

Second Unit
Amen Carl. It's just not worth potentially risking your franchise player just to let him play when he isn't 100% percent. On the flip side, a chance like this doesn't come along too often, and if Dirk is around 90 or so percent and he'll help you to win it'd be hard not to play him. You just gotta wait until the doctor's clear him to play. It's a really awful situation for Dallas.

Even after blowing that game big time, I still like the Spurs to win the series. They've bounced back well from all their blown 2nd half collapses before and even if Dallas wins tonight, I just don't see San Antonio losing a game 7 at home.

I'll still be rooting for Dallas though and it's great to see this series turn out to be so compelling after all.

Lowell

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Nelson's whole "I don't want to risk his career for one playoff" speech after game 4 was pretty disturbing to me. Sounds like Nelson doesn't know what it takes to be a champion either.
I have to agree with Carl and Lowell on this one Hunter. It is true that a lot of players (and all champions) play over the pain. You are probably aware that Grant Hill played with an injury in the playoffs for the Pistons a few years back. He has never been the same player since. Certainly this is something to be considered.

At least here in Dallas it was pretty clear (if the press can be believed) that Dirk wanted to play in game 3 (and 4). Supposedly it will be left up to Dirk, Nellie and the doctor as to whether he will play tonight. You may think, just a sprain, but the report here was that the sprain was almost a ligament tear. He came that close to being out until next training camp.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I didn't expect many people to agree with me on my extreme stance. But I still stick by it. An "almost ligament tear" is still not a tear. The knee still work just with pain. Sure he won't be as explosive but 75% Dirk is still better than 100% Walt "The Wizard" Williams.

I heard the reports that Dirk "wanted" to play also. If Dirk felt good enough to play and there is no tear then what is the frickin' problem? The Lakers and Kings are going to retool next year and get better. I expect the Spurs to do the same (although without D-Rob). The time is now.

Carpe Diem, Diggler!

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Almsot a tear can easily turn into a very real tear if he puts more stress on it, and the side to side lateral movement that being on the basketball court causes puts him at risk for that. Not to mention another collision. I'd like to see Dirk play, just because I want the Spurs to beat a full strength team and not slip by a team minus their best player, but I don't want to see them risk his career and turn Nowitzky into another Grant Hill. Somebody said he's never been the same player since that ankle injury. He's never been a player at all ever since, and for somebody with as much heart and desire as Hill has, that's a major shame. I'd hate to see the same happen to Dirk, he's too good to risk it all over one game. Don't forget, even with Dirk, Dallas has to win two more games over a San Antonio team that has lost two in a row once and only once since December, and hasn't dropped 3 all season.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
I don't know why I continue to be a Spurs fan. Every year the same thing. Stumble out of the blocks to start the year. Begin turning it around by the all-star break. Finish the regular season as the NBA's hottest team. Get into the playoffs, and the punks forget how to shoot!!!
Quite eerie as I watched on Tuesday. But as I said, it does happen every year. Nonetheless, this season they will win a 2nd ring to temporarily hush the critics.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
I'm sorry but the Spurs are a joke. They will probably still win the NBA Title but give me a break.
I like Duncan's attitude, saying they are still up 3-2 and the goal is to get to 4. And the Spurs will likely win the crown, but quotes like the one up top are what Spurs fans will have to suffer through for their team's inconsistent performance. In '99, when the Spurs won, folks said to put an asterick by the award because of the shortened season. (By the way, I don't buy into that asterick crap because the playoffs were not shortened, and the Spurs dominated everyone.)

Now this time, people will cry about the Spurs because they give up huge leads. The Spurs will probably be called the weakest champ in NBA history.

The one thing I don't want to hear is that someone else would have won if it weren't for the injuries. For instance the national media kept going on and on about the injury to Rick Fox, sort of an excuse if the Lakers lost to the Spurs. Then they went on and on about C Webb, and now about Dirk. Yes, these are key injuries, but that is part of the game and in no way diminishes the Spurs accomplishment if they win the title.

Funny, but in 2001, there was not a big deal made about Derrick Anderson being injured for the Spurs/Lakers series, and he was the Spurs #2 scorer. That was a huge loss. Then last season, the Admiral was severely hobbled during the Lakers series, and he was the #2 low post defender after Duncan, and his duty was to guard Shaq. We all saw how well he guarded Shaq this year.

So if anyone wants to talk about the Spurs being a joke, or revert to the '99 asterick talk, let's put astericks on the Lakers in 2001 and 2002 because the Spurs' injuries those years prevented them from winning back-to-back titles and going for a 3-peat this year.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Now this time, people will cry about the Spurs because they give up huge leads. The Spurs will probably be called the weakest champ in NBA history.
Lets not get too ahead of ourselves. Other then PF, where Duncan is better then Martin but not by a tremendous margain (Martin is averaging 20 pts and 9 board per game in the playoffs, not too shabby), the Nets have the advantage at PG, SG, SF, and most importantly center. The benches of both teams are not spectacular, though Rose does give the Spurs a nice inside presence and probably should be starting over Robinson. Collins is a better player then Robinson at this point, and Mutombo should be more effective against the Spurs with their larger lineup. I cannot wait for the finals, as I think it may be quite competitive, and the East may shock everybody.

J

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
And now it was Dallas' turn to collapse. 35-9 in the 4th quarter. Like I said above, if it's a close game at the half, Spurs will win, they haven't lost a clsoe game all playoffs. They only lose if htey get a big lead, cause they get lazy and relax.

May God have mercy on the Nets.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Well Dallas pulled a Spurs. Oh well. Terrible game on both sides.

Go Nets. You will need it.

The strange thing about the Spurs is they do not have anyone like Weber that I just can't stand, but I do not like anyone on their team. With the exception of Steve Kerr.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
The Spurs finally listened to what I was yelling at the TV all during game 5. Put Steve Kerr in!!!! Especially late in the game when they needed 3's. I'm glad Steve got a chance to prove once again that he's one of the more underrated role players in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks