What's new

NBA Live 2004 (1 Viewer)

Kelly W

Second Unit
I'm surprised there is no thread about this game yet.

I picked this up last week, and it has taken some getting used to. At first, I hated it, but it is growing on me. There are a lot of things I like:
*you (and the CPU) can finally have a real effect on defense
*fouls are called consistently and realistically
*you have to be careful with your passes or they will get knocked away or stolen

However, there are several things I don't like:
*A shooter will never get his own rebound because he stands there stunned for a few seconds after every shot
*They must have paid Marv Albert and Mike Fratello for only an hour of work because they say the same things over and over and over. (I know this is a constant problem, but the commentary in this game is VERY limited.)
*On a personal note, my favorite team, The Pacers, is rated very poorly and Reggie Miller is basically useless. :frowning:
*There are a few bugs in the game-- the commentator will say "He's going to the line, shooting two", but then they inbound the ball from the sideline. This happened about four times in the first five games I played, but actually hasn't happened lately. Also, the screen went black on me yesterday and I thought the game had frozen, but it came back. This appeared to happen during one of the automatic instant replays.

Okay, but my biggest "throw-the-controller-at-the-TV" complaint is the fact that I can't figure out how to dive for a loose ball!!! The manual doesn't seem to have it listed anywhere. The computer dives all the time, but I can't. I've tried double-tapping turbo like in NBA Street. I've pushed the "freestyle control" in any and all directions. I've furiously pushed every button combination, but I can't figure it out. I knock the ball lose all the time, but my player moves in slow-motion (as if underwater) to the ball while the CPU player dives between my legs for the ball and recovers. How can I do that? Has anybody figured it out? Help!!! :)

-Kelly

Kelly W

Second Unit
Well, seeing as how this thread dropped like a rock, I guess nobody here wants to comment on NBA Live this year...

But to answer my own question about diving for loose balls, I found the answer. You have to push B (on the GC version anyway). I haven't tried it yet, but I'm surprised that 1.) I missed it in the manual, and 2.) I never hit that button in my frantic blind attempts at getting my players to dive. Oh, well.

The game continues to be fun to play, and I'm having a good time with it. (I'm getting better at it, which, of course, helps quite a bit.) ;)

-Kelly

Brian Teal

Grip
I played it last weekend, and I was mostly impressed with what they have done. I really like the jump step along with the two shoot buttons. It took a few games to get used to it, but it really does work well. It doesnt pay off to go to the hoop every single time anymore. In Live '03, I found that to be the easiest way to score. Also, three pointers are more realistic (i.e. less go in). Also, last year you could just run into the player with the ball and knock it loose, with only about a 50/50 chance that a foul would be called (w/ slider all the way up). They fixed that too.

Most of what I don't like about the game you mentioned. Especially the frozen shooter thing. Also, many times when there is a dead ball, it will cut back to the game very quickly and you will be way out of position. The offensive player can actually throw the ball inbounds before the transition is over. Very annoying.

Keep in mind that this is based on ~6 games played, and nothing more.

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to decide between Live and ESPN. Since you guys have the game, can I ask you a couple questions?

Are there classic players (Jordan, Barkley, Dr. J)?

Can you adjust player ratings?

Thanks.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
How is NBA Live 2002 compared with 03 or 04? I have 2002 but was wondering if the newer ones are better. '

Thanks

Kelly W

Second Unit
There are classic players in the game-- they have all-star teams for several decades from the 90s on back to (I think) the 60s. I don't know if you can put them on current teams, though. I've never tried.

Yes, you can edit player ratings-- but not their appearance.

Since I have a Gamecube, I didn't have a choice as to whether to get Live or ESPN. While I am enjoying NBA Live 2004, I've heard a lot of people saying they'd rather get the ESPN game.

I don't remember the specifics of NBA Live 2002. I doubt there'd be a night and day difference between it and 2004, though. Well, actually, 2003 introduced the "freestyle control" which is pretty cool. So, yeah, 2003 and 2004 are probably better than 2002. These games don't usually take a step backwards-- they keep improving, but the degree of improvement is often up for debate.

-Kelly

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
EA is the most over-rated developer out there. I find most of their games buggy with incredibly geometric graphics. Unfortunately, I am forced to buy their FIFA soccer series since it is the only choice I have. A friend of mine used to work there and said it was a sweat shop. I believe it.

On the plus side, they have an outstanding marketing department.

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the answers Kelly.

I picked up Live 2004 for Xbox. I've only played 4 games. But so far but I really like this game.

To answer my own question, they do have classic players and you can sign them different teams.

The "freestyle" control definitely takes some getting used to, but it definitely adds a new dimension to basketball games.

The player animations are incredible. While the close ups and cut scenes aren't as sharp as ESPN, the players look very fluid and lifelike. Whatever EA did to achieve this, they should use this technology in their football games.

I haven't played ESPN, but I am pretty satisfied with my purchase thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks