NBA League Pass

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Gabe D, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

I'm thinking about buying the NBA League Pass (the pay-per-view style NBA TV package). I've never bought it before, and I was wondering if anybody knows if they lower the price later in the season. I wouldn't mind only buying the second half of the season for a fraction of the price. However, I know the price goes up by $20 after the first week or so of the season, so if I'm paying full price no matter what I want to order it by then.

Thanks for any info.

2. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

I know that here in Sacto you must pay full price. Doesn't matter if there is a month left in the season. The greed of cable companies is probably the same across the country so I would be surprised if they prorate it in Indy.[​IMG] One good thing is that they break up the cost over three months on your bill.

That said, I LOVE the league pass. For an NBA nut like myself it is the perfect tool. There is always something on every night of the week.

3. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

For the other sports DirecTV usually offers a mid year pacakage around the All Stare game that is ~$100. i am not sure about NBA.

Todd

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

The NBA League Pass is not DirecTV specific though, so I don't think they'll do that.

I too was thinking of getting this, but realistically I don't think I'll be able to watch enough to make it worth it.

I called and asked about the original question though, they (Comcast, Tucson) said they will not lower the price later on.

5. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

The other nice thing about the Pass is watching your team play on some other city's broadcast. I like watching the different perspective you get.

Also, there are a bunch of "homers" around the nation. I got a kick out of watching cities like Houston and Boston among others. Boy, their teams can do no wrong.[​IMG]

6. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Just like the Kings, right? [​IMG]

7. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Natch!

8. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I'm not positive about the NBA package, but I subscribe to the MLB & NHL packages.

Most sports packages will go down to $99.00 and that's usually in the last third of the season.

I would say it's worth paying the extra $60 (159.00 total) for the whole season.

9. Lloyd White

Lloyd White Stunt Coordinator

I'd get it in a heartbeat, but the picture quality is down to VHS levels on most of the games...just unexceptable! And I have comcast, so I can't even get NBA.com TV.

10. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

Thanks for your help. I bought it. (Although I have to agree with you, Lloyd, that the picture quality through Comcast is not so hot.)

I have another question now. I looked over the Pacers schedule, and there are 3 games on the League Pass that aren't being broadcast locally. Will those games be blacked out here in Indy? Or does blackout only apply if it would be going head-to-head with a local station?

Thanks again for your help.

11. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

The game will be blocked out if it is already being shown on a "regular" cable or broadcast channel. This includes games that will be shown on TNT and ESPN.

If it is not being shown locally but it is being shown on the opposing team's local station then you will get their feed. For example, if they played the Knicks you would watch the MSG network feed. I look forward to these kind of games because I like to hear how other cities perceive your team.

12. Shea

Shea Stunt Coordinator

I have NHL Center Ice and the video quality is usually crappy.. It's even worse when it's hockey because you have to follow a small puck as opposed to a bigger ball. I live in TX and get a kick out of watching the Canadian broadcasts..some weird commercials. And while American(unless it's the team's own announcer for the local/regional broadcast) announcers try to be neutral Canadian announcers definitely root for Canadian teams if playing an American team.

13. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

14. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

I remembered this thread when I saw that they have indeed lowered the price of the NBA League Pass to $99. (I'm still glad I bought the whole thing, though.)