What's new

NBA Fans Rejoice (1 Viewer)

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Here are some scores that I saw posted from IGN pertaining to the next-gen basketball games that should be appearing in stores (think NBA2k3 is already out though).

(presentation, graphics, sound, gameplay, lasting appeal)

NBA 2k3 (PS2) - 8.7 (8.0,8.5,7.0,8.5,9.0)
NBA 2k3 (GCN) - 8.7 (8.0,8.0,7.0,8.0,8.0)
NBA 2k3 (XBOX) - 8.9 (8.0,9.0,7.0,8.0,9.0)
NBA Live 2003 (XBOX) - 8.5 (9.0,7.0,8.0,8.0,9.0)
NBA Live 2003 (PS2) - 8.7 (8.5,7.5,8.0,8.5,9.4)
NBA Live 2003 (GCN) - 8.5 (9.0,7.0,8.0,8.0,9.0)

Looks like Sega edges ahead for the basketball sims as well, after doing the same for NFL. Live has the addition of the new freestyle moves which sounds kinda cool, but NBA2k3 has Live! support on the Xbox and better graphics/models. I've been seeing a lot of promotion for EA's NBA Live 2003 on TV of late too. What are you guys thinking of picking up?

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I haven't been real big on Basketball games for awhile. The last that I had was Live 98 which I hated. I loved the old 16-bit ones though (of Live, NBA Showdown and much of the VS series were terrible).

I should really try the 2K series out. I was thinking of picking up 2K1 for DC to give it a go.

Be interested to see which causes more of a stir at work. NHL has been the hot game the past week... at least for the PS2 (GC is hardly moving and XBox isn't out yet).

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
If I had to choose between Live and 2k3, I'd go with 2k3. I just don't trust the NBA Live series anymore. Of course, I am having some trouble deciding whether I should get 2k3 now, or wait for Inside Drive 2003 later in the month. I thought ID2002 was really underrated last year and I do feel strongly inclined to get it again this year since they've added franchise mode and supposedly tweaked a few flaws in the gameplay. OTOH, 2k3 comes out this week and it's going to be hard resisting the temptation to get basketball NOW :)

BorisM

Stunt Coordinator
I have been a lifelong NBALive fan since the original game of 'Lakers vs Celtics'. That was the first in the series btw. Anyway, I have purchased that game every year and loved it on every console until about 2 years ago. EA got sloppy in the transition to the current generation of consoles. Luckily SEGA put out an amazing product.

I have had both for the past 2 years. Last year was the clincher, EA just put a POS game in Live2002. Just horrible. So this is the first year I will not get Live, but will only go with 2K3.

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
I've looking forward to NBA2K3 for a long time now.
Glad to see those high scores for it!

I'll be buying it this Thursday when my local EB is getting it in.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
Technically you could say the "Live" franchise started with "Dr.J vs. Larry Bird" wayyy back in the day.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
btw guys, apparently NBA 2k3 supports 720p which unfortunately means little for me and my set which cannot do this natively. If anyone who can do it picks it up, be sure to confirm/deny this :)

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
From what I hear, Live may actually be worth a pickup this year. The new "freestyle" control system has been drawing rave reviews.

Rafael M

Agent
much respect to ea they certainly dominated during the genesis days...the crown belongs to sega sports/visual concepts' (nba, nfl & nhl) 2k series...if it's in the game, it's in the game :D

BorisM

Stunt Coordinator
Just to be clear on this - The 720P in NBA2K3 is AMAZING. I am playing it right now and I still can't believe how good it looks.

Manuel

Stunt Coordinator
Could someone please elaborate on how the offseason stuff is handled (franchise) I'm leaning towards Live but would like to know how the franchise mode works and if it is any good on either game.

Thanks

BorisM

Stunt Coordinator
I can't speak for Live, but 2K3 has a great franchise offseason mode. It is similar to NFL2K3. Salary's, drafts, trades, FA's, lots of options. This is one of the key reasons I bought this title.

Ask any questions you want about the offseason franchise mode and I will try to answer them.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Updated with a couple more scores for Live (PS2/GCN).

Boris: that's both great and sad to hear (mainly because I cannot utilize the 720p), out of interest what sort of setup are you playing it on?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Not that I could make use of its HD use anyway (HDTV doesnt exist in the UK) I am still waiting on Sega to announce NBA 2K3 for the PAL X-box... I'm starting to think they wont bother. :frowning:
Dan

James St

Supporting Actor
It has been said that PS2 owners will be able to play against XBox owners through NBA2K3. Can anyone confirm this?

BorisM

Stunt Coordinator
I am playing NBA2K3 on a Sony 34xbr800 and it is the most beautiful game I have played. It is just so crisp and clear. I know that the sony upconverts it to 1080i, but this is the first game that I have had this resolution with. I really hope sega sticks with 720p or 1080i in all their titles.

I personally have the opinion that we will never be able to play games PS2 versus XBOX. I have lots of reasons, but I doubt it will happen this generation. Maybe in the next console generation. It would be cool though.

Marc Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Is the Xbox 2k3 plagued by the sluggish passing (alley-oop style) that the PS2 version suffers from?

The 480p support is welcome on 2k3, but Live beats it out for me this year (for the first time in my book...the last Live I liked was on Genesis).

2k3 is a better simulator, Live is arcade in comparison. 2k3 just wasn't fun this year. Live is a blast! (I only have PS2 BTW)

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
How can you know after one day if a game is fun? The posts I've seen so far about live is that you can basicly drive at will with the freestyle thing. And that you'll score 60-80% of your points from that. As far as passing try using maximum passing. Gives you control over how you want to pass the ball. Tap it for a lob pass. press it hard for a fast chest pass or bounce pass. I think the real clincher will come down to online play which for me on xbox only leaves 2k3.

Damien

Supporting Actor
I don't know, live has kind of got me sold on the freestyle moves, and online is MUCH less appealing when the punk quitters and pausers show up, but still there is no excuse for ea not including online for the box. i will rent both, as i have heard mixed reviews on both titles

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks