NBA 2K2 for PS2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonK, Jan 18, 2002.

1. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Hey fella's. I just got this from EBGames yesterday. It is everything I hoped and more![​IMG] [​IMG]
    I've been a fan of the series since the games for Dreamcast, and it's made the transition to PS2 pretty damn well.
    The NBA 2K games have really upped the ante on basketball simulation games. I was never a fan of the EA Sports NBA Live series, so the NBA 2K series has been a saving grace.
    First off, the game is not just a score-fest. Players are rewarded for playing defense, and running plays on offense. Running plays is done with the right analog pad, or the CPU can do it for you. There's a button to call for picks, to dribble fancy, and to 'total-control' pass.
    Defense is where the 2K series has excelled, and 2K2 stays with that trend. As with offense, you can run plays with the right analog pad. Sega wisely included zones - a box-and-1, the basic 2-3, or 1-2-1 plus others are included.
    You get a button to block, to switch defenders, to steal, and turbo.
    It took some time to get used to using a PS2 controller for this, rather than a DC pad. After a few minutes though, they feel natural.
    The graphics are terrific. Not a vast improvement over the DC games, but the textures are a bit smoother, and the overall presentation looks great.
    The sound is great too. There is a lot of on court chatter "switch, switch!" or "I got your man" and whatnot.
    The announcers are good too. I've always liked the no-name announcers Sega uses better than the 'Maddenisms' of EA games. You get commentary about the game rather than a bunch of hyperbole.
    If you're a hoops fan, this is the game to go with on PS2. If only it had online play...but that'll come next year.[​IMG]
    -Jason

2. Marc Alexander

Marc Alexander Stunt Coordinator

Live cannot compare!!!

3. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I played NBA 2K1 on the Dreamcast, and even I was impressed. I know for a fact that 2K2 is a definite on my list.

4. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I picked this up the other day, and although I really like the game, I am having a hard time playing it with the PS2 controller. I am so used to the larger Dreamcast contoller to control this game (from owning NBA 2K and 2K1), that I can't really enjoy it as much as I remember enjoying the DC versions.

For this reason, I am seriously considering trading this one in for NBA Inside Drive for the XBox this Thursday. However, I am reluctant to do this because I haven't read anything about NBA Inside Drive. I know that Fever is awesome as far as Football games, if a little on the "unrealistic" side. If Inside Drive were just as "unrealistic", I wouldn't mind.

5. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Chris - check out this site - www.teamxbox.com.
    They have a nice review of Inside Drive there. It should answer your questions.

6. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Lou,

Thank you for the link. Looks like I'll be swapping 2K2 (PS2) for Inside Drive.

2K2 is a great game, though. P'rhaps I'll want to check out the XBox version. I like the bigger controller for this type of game (call me crazy).

I really did like NBA Steet though. I still have that in my collection.

Oh, and that's a nice HT Setup you have, too.