What's new

NBA 2010-11 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
With the season getting under way tonight, I thought it would be a good time to start the new thread.

There are only three games slated for tonight, but they look to be good ones (Miami at Boston, Phoenix at Portland, and Houston at Los Angeles Lakers).

Some writers are already giving the title to the Heat. I don't see it, but that's just me. I also don't see how this team will eclipse the Bull's single-season record, but some are predicting that as well.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My Cavs fans on facebook were elated by the Heats performance last night. Those fans are really pulling for Lebron to fall on his face with his new team.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

Well, at least the Heat aren't going to go 82-0.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

My Cavs fans on facebook were elated by the Heats performance last night. Those fans are really pulling for Lebron to fall on his face with his new team.

I think just about anyone who is not a Heat fan is hoping for the same thing.

I'm not sure how much I will participate in this thread, since the Pistons look like they will be terrible again. The team has really fallen apart since owner Bill Davidson passed away. Hopefully the team gets sold soon, and the rebuilding process can begin. Nothing kills a sports franchise quicker than a disinterested owner -- see the Detroit Lions for proof.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

I am hoping that the Pistons will improve on their 27-55 record of last year.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I realize that all of the teams who will make the playoffs, as well as the match-ups, are not yet known. Still, I think I'm fairly confident that the Lakers will get to the finals again this year. And, I don't think any team -- with the possible exception of Boston *if* they have the home court advantage -- has a chance of defeating them. And right now, the Celtics are barely holding on to a one-game lead in the loss column.

As good (and as consistent) as San Antonio has been this year, I don't see them defeating Los Angeles in a seven-game series. The beatdown the Spurs recently took at the hands of the Lakers was very telling. The only team from the western conference that may have an outside chance of defeating the Lakers is IMO the Mavericks. But I really don't think anyone will challenge the Lakers.

In the east, I think the team to beat is Boston, followed very closely by Chicago. (I think Miami will exit in either the first or second round.) Boston and Chicago have been having a dogfight recently for the best record. It's quite possible that the Bulls will end up with the best record. If this happens, watch out for them, as they could very well make it to the finals. The Celtics are one team that has defeated Chicago twice this season (the teams have one game remaining in Chicago). The playoffs are going to be a fun ride this year in both the East and the West. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
So, any guesses on who the Lakers will be playing in the NBA Finals this year? I think it will be Chicago, but of course I hope I'm wrong.

Go Celtics! :)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
My guess would be the Bulls as well. Them getting the #1 seed in the East was a definite surprise, as if they came out of nowhere. If not the Bulls, then the Celtics.

I'm just as surprised that the 76ers actually made the playoffs. I thought they would finish in the bottom of the league, but it looks like the coaching change last offseason, has made a huge difference.

I just learned that the Sixers game on Saturday, will be on ABC. So my chance to actually watch them, even though I haven't cared much for the Mickey Mouse coverage of the NBA. And it will depend what NHL game is shown on NBC, airing opposite it.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Sumnernor

According my schedule (for ESPN America) the NBC game will be WAS at NY

I just looked it up, and that game is for Sunday. I was talking about the Saturday one, which is the Phoenix-Detroit game, and for the most part, won't overlap with the Sixers game.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I thought this was an excellent article on Phil Jackson. I will remember him mostly as a player, since I followed the NBA much more closely in the early 1970s than I do now. Those New York Knickerbocker teams were a lot of fun to watch back then.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/110513&sportCat=nba

BTW, now that Boston and Los Angeles have been eliminated, my favorite to win it all is the Dallas Mavericks. I don't see any of the remaining teams defeating Dallas four times.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Well, I think the Bulls are done. I've seen enough of this series to believe that Miami will advance. However, I still think that the Mavericks will win the NBA title this year.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Congratulations to the Dallas Mavericks and their fans on the Mavericks' first title.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Choke. Just outright choke. Lebron I think gassed himself in the Chicago series. Too bad because he was sensational there and just fell apart in the finals.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Being from the Bay Area I watched Kidd as a high school player and I'm really happy he finally got an NBA title.

Congrats to Dallas.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The way LeBron looked in the finals, reminded me too much of how he was in his last days as a Cavalier, either choking or just quitting. And it's not just James, but Wade looked just as bad. Just so happy that Pat Riley does not get another ring.

How great it is to see Nowitski win a championship with the Mavs, after deciding this past offseason to stay with them, when he could have done the same thing as Bosh and James. Congrats to him, Cuban, and the Dallas Mavericks for winning the championship.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I agree. And to all the people saying Lebron is as good or better than Michael Jordan, give me a break. He has yet to win ANYTHING.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks