What's new

NBA 2008-09 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Mark, while certainly the inbounds pass was the most obvious example of something that lost the game for the Nuggets, I think the way they played the third quarter, with some really hard and unnecessary fouls, a technical or two, and some loss of composure is what really derailed them. JR Smith's unnecessary T at the end after hitting a 3. Dahntay Jones's unnecessary two-hand push to the back of Kobe on a curl (which should have been a flagrant). There were a couple of others I'm forgetting which was just Denver playing streetball rather than NBA basketball. In fact, after one of those technicals the announcers said [paraphrasing] "it's little things like this that is going to let the Lakers win."

Truer words were never spoken. As a Laker fan, I was happy for that third quarter even though we were still down, I could see Denver unraveling as they had in years past. If they had just taken care of business and not felt the need to "send a message" with some overly physical play, they would have won the game.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit

What happened in the third with the examples you provide I believe was a coaching decision to get tuff with (or play dirty depending on you point of view) the Lakers. After all, LA has got the reputation of being more of a finesse team and after last years collapse in game 6 of the finals, it has been shown they sometimes have problems handling hard play.

Besides, while Denver had 3 technicals, LA had two of their own. That to me is just hard play and is what you should expect in the conference finals. No one should be allowed to just waltz into the finals just because their is some preconceived marketing campaign already being shown on TV. It sometimes to me seems like with Muppet commercials and G2 commercials showing LBJ and Kobe jarring with each other that some one in some back room somewhere has already decided who going to be in the finals.

IIRC Denver had a 6 point lead with about 5-6 minutes left in the fourth. What happened in the third did not translate to the loss of that lead in the fourth. If I was to dig deeper into the game I would say that Carmello's 4-13 shooting with 4 TOs had a bigger impact.

Getting back to the point, if you wanted to point to a single play that most directly resulted in the loss of the game to LA, you have to say it was that inbound pass. Now successfully getting the ball in play would NOT have won the game, but it's failure sure as heck lost it for them.

What makes this even more inexcusable is that this exact same play happened against the exact same team in the exact same situation in the exact same playoff series. If I was coaching the Nuggets after game 1 I would have had my team practice that play over and over all the next day til they got it right. Either they didn't do that or the players totally tuned him out, whichever the case may be, this is direct breakdown of the coaching on Denver's part.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Mark, I certainly agree it was a strategy, but an ill conceived one, to get tough. Sure technicals may have been almost a wash (I think Chauncey missed one of the tech shots while the Lakers I believe made all 3 technicals so that was a 2 point swing), but what really hurt the Nuggets was the fact that their decision to get physical directly led to Melo and Martin watching helplessly on the bench for the last few seconds of a game they should have been tied or winning.

Also, Denver had gotten the lead in the first half without playing dirty, why start in the third quarter?

They aren't the Rockets, who were always a tough team but without Yao and McGrady really needed to ratchet up the physicality to make up for the loss in scoring prowess. The Nuggets have plenty of firepower to win this thing legitimately (they were a breath away from sweeping L.A. at Los Angeles and could easily be up 3-0). Whereas the Rockets, when the officiating was tighter, were blown out severely, and when the officiating was looser [coupled with lack of focus from the Lakers], blew out the Lakers, so their strategy of physicality was clearly the right move for them.

This "get tough on the finesse Lakers" strategy will not work for the Nuggets because that's not who they are now.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
WOOT!!!!!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Well, I'm sorry to say this, but Cleveland's season is over.

The only good news I can muster from this eventuality is that the Orlando Magic have a very legitimate chance of defeating the Lakers in five or six games. The Lakers are 0-2 against Orlando this year thus far, and the Magic have only gotten better and better. I think it will be an interesting series.

John Gido

Second Unit
Don't count Denver out just yet. :D Tonight's game will really determine that.

Although a Nuggets vs. Magic finals would be an NBA nightmare. :eek:

They probably already have the Lebron/Kobe promos shot. :D

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
John,

You're right about Denver. If they can win tonight, then I might be able to see them take game five. Maybe.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

I wonder if it's possible to put a rough price tag how much less the NBA and TV networks (and even Las Vegas) stand to make if indeed it is Denver/Orlando instead of LA/Cleveland.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit

Well looks like its almost time to see what kind of guile Denver has. The series isn't over for them yet. They just lost the early advantage. Time now to forget about all that and come out tonight and great great ball.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
They need to play pretty near flawless ball against Los Angeles.

It looks like one of my two scenarios for the Cleveland - Orlando series is going to occur. I see the Magic taking care of business at home, losing game five, and wrapping this series up in six games.

John Gido

Second Unit
19 point win for Denver. Largest in the conference finals so far and with Melo's worst performance (under 30 pts.).

Wednesday night is going to be interesting. :D

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
Impressive win by Denver. They did what they had to do. NOw they go back to LA. Stealing another one there will be much tougher.

I wonder how bad Carmello is hurt? He played terrible and was limping all over the court.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Matt,

Did the lead get that high in the third quarter? Wow. I saw it hovering around 13-16 points quite a bit of the way. I'm pleased that this series is going at least six games. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
So we have our first overtime game in the Cavaliers - Magic series. I guess I'm not too surprised. But I still think Orlando will pull this series out, regardless of tonight's outcome.

C'mon LeBron -- get that ring! ;)

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
Unbelievable, just unbelievable. What an incredible played game by both sides. I think this is the best game that Cleveland has played so far. This finally is the team that won 66 games this year. They got big contributions from all their starters. Lebron was a beast in the fourth. But Howard just took over in OT and he again hit his free throws (7-9). If he become consistent with that kind of FT shooting the league better watch out, he'll be unstoppable.

I don't know how many of these games I can take. I was about to have a heart attack the whole fourth and OT. Even now this series is not over, I really like Orlando's chances from here but it is still not over. But just in case they do win it, I've already talked to my cousin and I will be taking a plane ride to go to a finals game come June.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I get that feeling that LeBron won't get a ring until he gets his own "Scotty Pippen" on the Cavs, plus some sharp-shooters that can fill the basket with driving dishes by LeBron.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks