What's new

NBA 2008-09 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
Lets see, 3 games played in the conference finals and 3 games decided by the last possession. This looks to be a very exciting couple of weeks.

I totally agree. I have no idea who is gonna win either series.

Did you notice how LBJ didn't take the final shot last night and Kobe didn't take the final shot tonight. Is this some sort of weird trend where the best player passes off the big shot to his side kick?

It was real fun watching Kobe and Carmelo guarding each other. It's not to often that the two best offensive players for their respective teams guard each other most the game like that.

John Gido

Second Unit

I remember someone (possibly either Marc Jackson or Jeff Van Gundy) said that Melo asked Coach Karl if he could guard Kobe for this series. During the regular season, Kmart was given that assignment.

This series looks to be going 7 games. Game 3 in Denver will tell that story.

John Gido

Second Unit

The NBA is really hoping for a Lakers/Cavs Finals.

I don't know about anywhere else, but in the NY/Metro area once football season is over, both the Daily News & the NY Post give limited coverage (eg. back cover headlines) to anything other than pre-pre-pre season baseball. They can't wait for spring training to begin.

When the Nets & Devils were in the playoffs, all they would print on their back covers were baseball articles, no mention of either team. :crazy:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I have this sneaky suspicion -- and that's all it is -- that the Denver Nuggets and the Orlando Magic will be facing each other in the NBA finals. I know, that's crazy, right?

I really fear for the Cavaliers. I think the Magic are to the Cavaliers as the Pistons are to the Magic as the Bobcats are to the Lakers. Hmmm.

I also now believe that the depleted Celtics played the Magic very, very well in losing in seven games to them.

I want Cleveland to play exceptionally well tonight. But, I see Orlando going to Florida up 2-0 against Cleveland. Orlando won the first game against Boston, and then really didn't show up to play in game two. I doubt the Magic will make that mistake again.

Can LeBron and Kobe -- seriously -- play out of their minds and carry their respective teams to the NBA Finals? I don't know. I think it may be asking too much of their superstars, especially considering that the teams they are now playing are (I think) peaking at just the right time and have strong supporting casts.

An interesting article on the current confidence of the Lakers:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...=Lakers-090522

BTW, does anyone else believe that the Nuggets could very well be up 2-0 in this series? Man, they were that close.

John Gido

Second Unit

+1 :emoji_thumbsup:

If the Nuggets made 1/2 the foul shots they missed in the first half of Game 1, this series would be 2-0 going into Denver.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

I know. Even Billups was missing at the line. Hmmm.

I'd like to see the Nuggets take both games at home. Then we'd see what the Lakers are made of, being down 3-1. Some NBA teams have come back from that deficit, but not all that many. I don't hope for a split in Denver, but that may be what occurs. The conference finals are great thus far this year, though. One, two, and three-point victories -- wow. :emoji_thumbsup:

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member

And if lakers had made some free throws it would be 2-0 Lakers. Can't say 'what if' in these series, because the slightest thing could go either way for either team. Can't have any mistakes in this series. Need to make every free throw, don't turn the ball over, don't get stupid fouls.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
I just have this feeling that Denver is gonna come out fired up and crush the Lakers in game 3. Then game four will be much much closer.

What about tonight though. Think Orlando can keep that second half intensity going or should I just go get drunk early?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Well, a great shot by a great player. LeBron James wins game two for Cleveland against the Orlando Magic by hitting a three-point field goal with 1.0 seconds left. The Cavaliers were oh so close to being down 0-2 to the Magic. I'm pleased that they are not, especially now that I think -- I said, think -- Denver just might get by the Lakers. :emoji_thumbsup:

Simply astonishing, LeBron. Amazing.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

Yeah, that didn't happen tonight
Lebron's teammates got to a point in the second half where they made some absolutely stupid mistakes. And he just willed them to win. That shot with 1 second left was ice water in the veins. You knew watching him that he was thinking "it's good". Great, awesome finish.

Just so it can be said, I think the Cavs have a tough series, but I'm still picking them in 6. But the Lakers? I don't think so. Unless they wake up, I think Denver is going to win that series.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Great shot by LeBron, but there's no way he should have been allowed to take it. Up by 2 points with a second to play, Orlando should have sent all defenders to the 3-point line and hammered whoever touched the ball on the in-bounds pass.

Edit...(Upon further reflection, they were up by two so fouling would not have been the smart thing...)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I was a bit surprised that Mo Williams was inbounding the ball. They were conceding that he would not be considered for the final shot, and he's one of Cleveland's best three-point shooters (44%). Then again, they only needed two points to tie.

Question: Since Orlando was over the limit, does a player who is fouled behind the three-point line who is not in the act of shooting get three shots?

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
If I'm Orlando, even though I lost the game I'd still be feeling pretty good that Cleveland needed a miraculous Lebron shot to pull out a home win after blowing the first game.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
What's amazing about both series right now is that all four games have been won by a one-shot margin or less. If those last shots go or don't go, either team in each series could be up 2-0 right now, so I guess it's only fitting that they're both 1-1. From a basketball fans point of view, it doesn't get any better than the drama we've already seen in these first four games.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit

I agree 100%. Anyone that is a pure NBA fan has to be really loving this right now.

I loved watching the Magic/Cavs game. I was so excited and pissed at the same time by Lebrons shot.

Anyone notice late in the third quarter when for 2 or 3 possesions SVG had JJ Redick defend Lebron?

I could just hear JJ in the huddle. "ALL COME ON!!!!! That's just not fair!"

I hope the Magic see the silver lining in this. The 2 times they've lost to Cleveland this year have been on miracle shots by Lebron, every game in Orlando they've won pretty handley. All they gotta do is take care of business at home and the finals are their's.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit

If I'm not mistaken; in the last 2 minutes; if a player who does not have the ball is fouled the penalty is one free-throw and possession with 14 seconds on the clock.

They changed that back in the nineties to keep teams from using the "Hack-A-Shaq" defense.

If he does have have the ball it's a normal two shot penalty.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mark and Patrick,

Many thanks. :emoji_thumbsup:

The Lakers are in for another battle tonight. I think Denver is going to go up 2-1. We'll see.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
WOW.

I am a Magic fan. Last night I didn't mind how Orlando lost because they played to their max potential and down the stretch pretty much did everything right. They simply got out shot.

That's great basketball.

Tonight's game was just stupid. Denver lost this game, like they lost game 1, because they are incapable of executing the most basic of basketball plays, the inbound pass.

They didn't lose 'cause they got out played or out coached. They lost because the coaching staff is too lazy to teach them how to get the ball in play. Coaches like that do not deserve to be participating in the game at this level.

It pretty much ruined an otherwise fantastic game for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks