What's new

NBA 2005 off-season (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If and a big if Antoine Walker can prove he is really back and not a flake like he was prior to this year, I think this is a good deal for Miami. They also got Andre Emmett who was a pretty darn good player at Texas Tech.

Crazy deal.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
On paper, it looks like Miami improved itself. The big question, which Shane eluded to, is whether Walker and Jason Williams can assume their proper roles and not need to be the primary focus of the offense (which still needs to be Shaq and Wade).

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
A big question indeed. I'll believe it when I see it, especially with regards to Walker. I don't have much faith in his ability to help a contending team out in that sort of role.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Neither do I but they good on paper. Of course I said that about the Lakers when they picked up Payton and the Mailman. (sorry to bring up the bad past for you Casey).

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
I think Miami is definitely better. Shaq will scare White Chocolate into giving up the ball, but Walker is the big if. He is going to be the 3rd wheel here, much like Glen Rice was in 2000 for the Lakers. I've never seen Walker pass up a shot in his life, and if he continues gunning like he always has, Shaq and Wade won't be happy about it. Still, I think they should be right there with Detroit and Indy in the East.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Well the very latest, extremely hot rumor around these parts is the blockbuster trade of sending Ben and Rasheed Wallace and two first round picks to Minny for Garnett, and moving McDyess into the starting lineup, and praying for some Dakro development....

At first I didn't even consider this trade, but after Rasheeds playoff performance, or lack there of, and the fact that you could get one of the top 3 players in the NBA, does sound intruiging. Garnett prospered under Flip, and is very close friends with Chauncy...things that make you go hmmm.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Damon Stoudamire has signed with Memphis. Seems like Portland is going to roll the dice with Sebastian Telfair.

I personally think the Walker trade is terrible for Miami. It's true that Walker will be the third option as Rice was for the Shaq/Kobe Lakers. Just like Rice, however, Walker isn't a defensive presence, at all. He needs the ball to be effective offensively, so his offense won't be a big upgrade to Eddie Jones.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Wow, that's some rumor! Hadn't heard that one. But I don't think it makes the Pistons a better team than the one they've got now. The Wallaces are too strong a defensive presence to give up.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Brandon,
That's a terrible deal for the Pistons.

In other news, the 2007 All Star Game will be in Vegas.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Brandon, I hadn't heard that rumor. Where'd it come from? I agree with Jan and Shane, though. I can't see that deal making the Pistons a better team. Garnett's a great player, but they would be giving up the league's best defensive player and another very good power forward.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Haven't heard that Detroit/Minnesota rumor either, but I'm having serious trouble seeing how the WOLVES would make that deal...why on earth would they trade Garnett?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The rumor was mentioned on the front page of this morning's Detroit News sports section, but it was dismissed as unfounded. The article did make a few humorous observations, though:
  • Without Ben and Rasheed, who guards Shaq? Lindsey Hunter?
  • Big Ben to Minnesota could be good for T-Wolves fans. The 'Fros can keep their ears warm.
  • Would Garnett have left Robert Horry open for that three-pointer?
  • Maybe we should ask for Latrell Sprewell, too. (Then again, he chokes under pressure).
  • Garnett entered the NBA to get paid instead of going to college. Maybe he should have gone to Michigan and done both.
  • How can we work Darko into the deal?

Hunter P

Screenwriter
My local sports station said that they called his agent and he confirmed that the Kings have already contacted him. They were interested in him before he decided to go with the Nets.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
The Joe Johnson to Atlanta deal is still on hold because of a completely bizarre saga involving one of the Hawks' owners basically holding the rest of the organization hostage over the proposed trade. What a crazy situation.

And regarding Shareef, has anyone heard anything about why he failed the physical, and what the problem they found was? He missed some games last year with elbow problems, but in that story above, Rod Thorn says that nobody had known about it, and that Shareef hadn't missed any games because of it.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I thought I read somewhere that it was an old high school (!) knee injury. From what I understand, when the Nets brought it up, Shareef, who hasn't been bothered by the injury as a pro, was immediately soured on playing for the Nets.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Yup, it was the knee. He has never missed a game due to the knee but the Nets were concerned that the knee might become arthritic from the scar tissue. He never shown signs of that happening any time soon so I dunno why the Nets would stress over it happening next season rather than when he is long retired.

Hell, Chris Webber was traded last year when everyone and their mom knew his knee was never going to be the same and yet the 76ers still approved the trade. (suckers):D

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
As Hunter speculated above, Shareef just signed with the Kings. Very nice pick-up for you guys, especially since they're getting him for just the mid-level exception this coming season.

The Wolves traded Cassell to the Clippers, with Marko Jaric going to Minnesota.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Yeah, the Kings are trying to secure all the available under-sized power forwards they can get.:D Seriously though, this team on paper is better than last year's team but I still think they will be a road team in the playoffs and would be lucky to be second round material.

Users who are viewing this thread