Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind 11/19

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Kleist, Jul 27, 2003.

1. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The one you've been waiting for: Here we go!

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/anime/ghibli/nausicaa.html

The usual storyboard package, trailers, commercials, and an unspecified audio commentary, possibly by Miyazaki(though I'm goint to give a 60/40 against it), and of course English subtitles, anamorphic, and EDIT it offers the original mono and a stereo remix

Special packs include a figurine and special case, and the ultra-special edition coming in yet another custom case, figurine, and a framed piece of art. Personally I'll be going for Miyazaki's beautiful watercolor, sure to be usurped on the US release by some Photoshop monstrosity.

Some better pics of the packaging and figures

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...0726/buena.htm

A cheaper region 3 version will likely follow at the same time or within a few weeks.

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

the figurine looks good to me, but i think i'll still be waiting for the R1.
    i still feel burned from ordering a Dark Angel set last year.
    if they were the price of R4 imports, that would be one thing, but those Japanese discs are expensive.

really looking forward to Nausicaa though.
    is the R1 a definite then?

3. Jeff Kleist

Not this year, but I'd give a 95% chance at some time in the next 18 months

Don't forget, the R3 versions will likely come in at $20-25

4. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Thank goodness for R3! I hadn't realized that Japanese discs are soooo expensive!!! Wow!

5. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>i still feel burned from ordering a Dark Angel set last year.

6. Jeff Kleist

Because right after he dropped the coin on the J discs they announced the US sets with extras at less than half the price

They have a lot of Movies to get through, we know Porco Rosso is coming in the next wave, and we can probably guess Whisper of the Heart and Pom Poko (assuming the Disney censors didn't watch it [​IMG] )

I would expect that Nausicaa and Totoro might be the final wave

7. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

So, anyone receive this DVD yet? Mine is still stuck somewhere in the USPS mail [​IMG] I think Florida is the farthest you could possibly get from Japan [​IMG]

Any impressions (I am also interested in the quality of the first-priniting soft cloth case)?

8. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit

I got mine this morning but I haven't yet had a chance to watch it all the way through. The cloth case is of a high standard and seems to be designed to double as a pencil case ( ie. there's pockets inside and a place to stick a pen ). The design includes imagery from the movie title sequence and looks pretty good. It's quite big though, so I'll be storing Nausicaa on my shelf without it.