What's new

Natural Born Killers, which version? (1 Viewer)

Cary T

Screenwriter
Which version of the Natural Born Killers would you recommand, the director's cut or the edition that came in Stone's box set? I read the regular edition have writer/director commentary. Tarantino is in the commentary too? I'm distressing over which edition to purchase. Can anyone help me out?

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Tarantino would never do a commentary for this film. He basically feels that Stone raped his baby.

As for the DVD, get the director's cut.

Will K

Screenwriter
It's a bit of a tradeoff. Personally, I went with the director's cut because a)uncut is really the only way to go and b)I'm just not going to give Warner money if they are too chicken to release the uncut version themselves. The only real issue is Trimark's DVD is non-anamorphic, so if you insist on that, then you have the R-rated Warner version.

Cary T

Screenwriter
Thanks, I was leaning toward the uncut before this. Looks like the uncut will be added to my collection.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I'm just not going to give Warner money if they are too chicken to release the uncut version themselves.
I wouldn't necessarily assume that is the case. The Warner version is the theatrical cut.

I don't know what he put back in to the "Director's cut" but if it's any of the scenes that are included on the Warner disc as outtakes, they are better off on the cutting room floor IMHO.

Will K

Screenwriter
It's always been my understanding that Warner refused to release Stone's cut not only because it was a hot potato for them, but for the same reasons they won't release Eyes Wide Shut. They want to avoid material that might threaten them with--gasp!--an NC-17. Silly.

But you're correct, Rain, on the deleted scenes. Stone left the majority of that stuff out because it just didn't fit the film. It's fascinating footage for people who really dig the movie, though. The director's cut restored everything Warner and the MPAA made him excise that should've been there to begin with.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It's always been my understanding that Warner refused to release Stone's cut not only because it was a hot potato for them, but for the same reasons they won't release Eyes Wide Shut. They want to avoid material that might threaten them with--gasp!--an NC-17. Silly.
It's really the reverse. It was the controversy over NBK, and Warner's craven reaction to it, that led to the current policy of not releasing unrated material. Before all that, Warner was perfectly willing to release unrated director's cuts, e.g., True Romance. And in fact, Warner had originally agreed to release Stone's version on video. Then Bob Dole decided to make a campaign issue out of various Warner products, including NBK and the Ice-T song "Cop Killer". Warner backed off their commitment, the NBK director's cut was delayed for several years (Stone ultimately got Warner to release the rights), and Warner has been skittish ever since.

M.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Warner backed off their commitment, the NBK director's cut was delayed for several years (Stone ultimately got Warner to release the rights), and Warner has been skittish ever since.
i don't think it was "several years." the film was released theatrically in late summer '94 and the theatrical cut hit home video in early '95. the director's cut then came out on home video in the summer of '96. the overall delay was really about a year and half between the intial home video release and the director's cut release, by my calculation.

DJ

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
the overall delay was really about a year and half between the intial home video release and the director's cut release, by my calculation.
My wife keeps warning me to stop using "several" as if it meant "more than one". I probably should listen. :)
M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks