National Velvet - disc flaw and feature error?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Huffstutler, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Oct 2, 1999
    Eric Huffstutler
    I just received a copy of Elizabeth Taylor's National Velvet.
    Somewhere I read that this was a remastered print but what I saw was full of dirt, scratches, and color shifts. In fact, one scene had a three color overlap shift like it was intended to be watched with 3-D glasses! I have never seen this before even with low budget movies.
    The cover also states it has the Theatrical Trailer but none can be found on the disc?
    Had anyone noticed this and if so, did Warner offer replacements?
  2. Rain

Rain Producer

Mar 21, 2001
    I have that DVD and the problems you describe are attributable to the poor source elements used for the DVD. Yup, it's terrible. Just think how nice it might look if it were properly restored. 'Tis a shame.

I can't remember if there was a theatrical trailer on the disc. I can check later and let you know.
  3. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

May 7, 2001
    Doug Bull
    "National Velvet" was released by MGM at a time when they were releasing shoddy, artifact ridden 4:3 transfers and in other cases non Anamorphic 16:9 DVDs, of some of their classic titles.

eg. "Showboat", "How the west was won", "Brigadoon","Seven Brides for seven brothers" among others.

When Warners took over the rights to the Turner catalogue, they(Warners) took the cheap route and merely re released MGM's sub standard DVD transfers.

Thankfully, what few new titles Warners are now releasing, are all coming with stunning new transfers.

I only wish that they would revisit these poor MGM Transfers and give them crisp newly restored (and when applicable) Anamorphic treatments.
  4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Feb 24, 1999

the picture quality of Brigadoon and 7 brides/brothers is SOOO bad. Can you believe that these were the type of transfers we all lived with when we watched laserdiscs and we called them "good"???