National Treasure DC anytime?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bob Partovi, May 21, 2006.

1. Bob Partovi

Bob Partovi Stunt Coordinator

On the DVD the director states the rough cut was 4 hours long. Maybe someday we'll get a DC. Anynews?

2. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

A rough cut is very different from a director's cut. A rouch cut usually means a cut of the film with everything that was shot. Every movie ever made has some footage removed during the editing process.

To answer your question, though. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney released an extended cut down the road. Will it truly be a director's cut? Who knows.

I for one I am getting EXTREMELY annoyed with these "longer cuts". The reason is that usually only the extended cuts are released in their OAR with more extras, while the theatrical version get's only a 4x3 transfer with minimal extras. The studios seems to think that more is more. I disagree...

Sorry for the last paragraph. Had to rant. [​IMG]

3. David Allen

David Allen Stunt Coordinator

Really? Can you give some examples of 4x3 only releases that have 16x9 extended versions?

4. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

We might see an extended edition released to DVD if they decide to do a sequel (and then they would release it to tie in with the theatrical release of the sequel).

5. Bob Partovi

Bob Partovi Stunt Coordinator

6. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    When we created the first Director's Cut in 1988, it was done with a specific mindset, and for a film which was rushed through post-production to meet an unchangeable Premiere date.

The term, which was a term of art, has now been watered down into a marketing term to enable double and triple dipping on home video, with little real purpose, except for "Vanity" cuts of second rate productions.

The majority simply reinstate what are essentially deleted scenes that never belonged in the film in the first place.

This is precisely why we have deleted scenes on DVDs.

In the intervening years, I don't believe that there have been more than a half dozen real Director's Cuts, the most recent being Kingdom of Heaven.

Sometimes I'm sorry that we started it.

RAH

7. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

Crimson Tide
    Enemy of the State
    Con Air
    Robin Hood Prince of Thieves
    When he said 4X3 he meant widescreen non anamorphic discs.

8. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Actually I think he was referring to the practice of movies coming out that have the original theatrical release in full-frame only while the "unrated extended cut" version is OAR.

Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle & Anchorman are the only two I can remember right now, that the only way the theatrical version was released was in a full-frame version.

--Ian

9. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

You may be right. You can add to that list The Great Raid
    But I think its almost as bad that you can't get the theatrical version in a anamorphic widescreen. As an example Robin Hood POT is one of my wifes favorite movies but they added stuff in the directors cut that wrecked the movie.