What's new

National Review's Top 50 Conservative Rock Songs (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
OK, some of these (well, a lot of them) are a bit of a stretch, but it's a pretty amusing list.

The Top 50

(Just posting this for entertainment purposes. Let's try to keep the political commentary to a mininum here!)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
The list left off "I Second That Emotion," Smokey Robinson's classic appeal for lifelong devotion instead of a one night stand.

Interesting interpretation of some songs. I know from an interview that Pete Townsend hates "Won't Get Fooled Again" for the same reason it's included in this list.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
That list is a joke. Talk about a spin zone.:rolleyes:

And the links to an online music retailer for every song listed make their case very weak IMO.

I'm done. :)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
why would it be locked, nobody has spouted off at the mouth about this list, most people will not take it seriously.

townshend will hate this song making #1!

CJ

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Interesting that "Godzilla" made it on there. I would think a fear of nuclear proliferation (which, let's face it, is what Godzilla is all about) would fit a more liberal mindset. I agree...lots of spinning to get that list going. :D

And it has Rime of the Ancient Mariner on it!! That was a kick. I was just talking to a friend the other day about music I am embarrassed about from my high school days (in the 80's). Iron Maiden and that song is one of them...and yet it is trilling through my head unimpeded right now! Gah! "Hear the rime of the ancient mariner...see his eye as he stops one of three..." And then Eddie explodes. :D

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Bite thy tongue!!!

300px-Iron_Maiden-albumi.jpg

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Aaron, consider my tongue bit...a bit. I have to admit that the chugga-chugga metal from those days were a great antidote to the hair metal bands that occupied the airwaves. That music was the right music for me at the time, that is for sure. As a steel belter, it was required listening along side the classic rock FM stations that littered the dial as well.

I think that they also could have includes from Iron Maiden "Die with Your Boots On," an anthem about...going down shooting? Make the NRA guys happy? And if they have to have a Clash song, how about "Guns of Brixton" for the NRA crowd as well. It has the whole "pry this gun from my cold, dead hands" bit down pat! ;-)

It is a funny list. Since it clearly is having fun with twisting song ideas around to make them sound conservative it would be equally fun to see a top 50 song list for liberals that take a Toby Keith or Charlie Daniels approach. :D

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Or where is the rich, white, Republican Bruce Willis?? Shouldn't he and his harmonica grace one of those songs?? :D

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
as an liberal/Libertarian/nondenominational-I look for the best thinking from both sides, I have great respect for William F Buckley and Patrick Buchanan-they are true conservatives-unlike the NeoCONs who are out to ruin our country

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

considering what Buchanan has said about gays and lesbians, I have no more respect for him than any of the other members of the lot, if anything, with his comments on that, if I had to choose between him and Bush, I'd choose Bush, and I'm someone who voted against him two elections straight.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
OK, by "let's keep the political commentary to a minimum" I meant "let's avoid any political commentary that isn't directly related to the songs on the list!" :)

Hie thee to the After Hours lounge for the political talk, please, guys.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
People, we do read these threads. Please, no further political commentary if you want the keep this thread open. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks