National Lampoons Animal House

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveKNJ, Jan 16, 2003.

1. SteveKNJ

SteveKNJ Stunt Coordinator

I posted this in the Movies Forum, but maybe it's more appropriate here. Does anyone know why NL Animal House is NOT available on DVD? I do recall seeing an old version of the DVD (or VHS) available on EBay, but I can't find it new anywhere, or even rentable from Blockbuster, Hollywood, etc. Are they planning to issue a special 25th Anniversary Edition this year since I believe the movie was released in 1978?

2. Clinton C

Clinton C Stunt Coordinator

there are 2 versions on DVD. a full screen movie only version and a widescreen collector's editon. However both of them are out of print. There was a rumor that it would be rereleased this year.

3. SteveKNJ

I'm surprised they are out of print. I would think that would be a popular DVD.

4. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    Stay away from the full screen disc, even if you find it cheap. It is one of the ugliest dics I've ever seen. It has an extremely grainy image, and at one point the whole image dissolves into a series of blocks. This was a well known glitch at the time. The newer widescreen disc was much nicer looking.

Neil

5. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I just ran a search for "animal house" and it turned up this thread that was last posted to under two days go. Hope it helps. You have probably already read it though, since it was posted by you.

6. SteveKNJ

Thanks for the link to the thread. For some reason, when I tried to look at it yesterday, it showed no responses. I must have had a cookie problem or something.

7. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

I think you can still get this through columbia house home video club.

8. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

To be honest, I'd be a little pissed at Universal if they put out a new, SE of said film with more extras, new transfer, 5.1 etc. I love the film, but the edition that is out is just fine.
    They should concentrate on their VAST BACK CATALOGUE LIBRARY, which they are apparently going to do anyway, but if they are going to revist back catalogue titles, may I suggest that they create a revitalized edition of The Thing? [​IMG]
    Oh, what the hell - TOGA! TOGA! TOGA! [​IMG]
    Gordy

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

10. Mark Hanson

Mark Hanson Agent

It appears that most movies sell best in the first couple weeks or release or rerelease. There are advantages of going out of print since it shows up on everyones new release timelines.

11. Kelly V

Kelly V Stunt Coordinator

I'm sure the studio is aware of all of the unrest caused by the unavailability of this title, particularly around the DVD "guy" holidays: Father's Day, and Christmas.
    There is a constant flow of people looking for this title and they are very frustrated when I tell them that it is on moratorium. We're really hoping that an anniversary edition is in the offing. I am anxious to see more back catalog titles, but AH seems to be essential to the happiness of the general DVD community.
    When is the next "hallmark" date for this film?
    [​IMG]

12. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer