National Geographic survey

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by SteveGon, Nov 27, 2004.

1. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Just finished taking this National Geographic survey. Test your geographic mettle!

I missed two of the twenty questions:

I guessed Islam as the most popular religion (instead of Christianity - whoops!) and misplaced Sweden on the map (meh). I did have to think about where Afghanistan was, but got it anyway. Found the rest pretty easy.

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I got them all right, but one question did have me thinking:

I was aiming for Christianity as the most popular religion, but I was thinking about picking Hinduism as well. I was surprised at how many people don't know where Sweden is, especially you, Steve! :p)

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I know the general area where Sweden is, I just get it mixed up with Norway, Denmark and the Netherlands. I guess that's not as bad as not knowing where the Pacific Ocean is. [​IMG]

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

How well would we have have done if we didn't have a 1 in 4 chance??

I fear not half as well.

Brent

5. Aaron Gould

Aaron Gould Stunt Coordinator

Aaron Gould
    19/20 here. Geography is my favourite subject though!

That first question got me:

I suspected Christianity, but I guessed Hindu due to the high population in Asia. Shoulda gone with my first instinct!

Religion is NOT my favourite subject. [​IMG]

6. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

20/20 but I Navigate ships for a living.... I'm off the coast of Malaysia as I type this.

7. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

What's sad is just how bad most American teens did on this test. Here's a snippet from National Geographic:

Among young Americans’ startling knowledge gaps, the study found that

• nearly 30 percent of those surveyed could not find the Pacific Ocean, the world’s largest body of water;
    • more than half—56 percent—were unable to locate India, home to 17 percent of people on Earth; and
    • only 19 percent could name four countries that officially acknowledge having nuclear weapons.

Sure, there were a few questions that one could reasonably get wrong but how the heck is it even possible to not know where your own country is on a map? Sheesh.

8. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

20/20, but could have been much more difficult if they included some of the less popular "stans" from the old USSR (Uzbehkistan, etc).

African countries would have added another few degrees of difficulty.

9. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

20/20, they could have made the questions a little harder. I flew through the test but I have a great interest in geography.

US schools really need to place a greater emphasis on the subject. My elementary/middle/high schools did an excellent job teaching this. We all really need to know about the world around us.

10. Markus Lidstrom

Markus Lidstrom Stunt Coordinator

Whats really funny is that on the question about the population of the USA, Americans scored the worst.

11. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

What's even funnier (or sadder) is 11% of American people couldn't locate America on the map.

12. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I initially misplaces Afganistan, actually looking at Pakistan instead initially until I simply located India, then with those bearings, I knew that I'm actually looking at Pakistan and then I could find Afganistan easily after that.

Jay

13. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Young adults actually, 18 to 24. Which is worse of course. As a citizen of the world, I find that terrifying.

--
    H

14. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I thought that the survey results to the first question were both funny and sad. A smaller percentage of the US population had a clue as to the size of the US than any other country listed.

But we do know where we get our oil. [​IMG]

And I am amazed at the lack of knowledge about Q9.

And those five countries in the survey did better than the US residents (taking the survey) in locating the US. On the other hand, everyone did better than the US in locating Russia, Japan and Italy

What is worse, the map questions were extremely easy. One only had to know the general location of the country in order to get the answer right. The multiple-choice answers did not put adjacent countries as one of the choices.

20/20 for me—I agree with Kirk in that it could have been a lot harder with the inclusion of some (for me) obscure or newly formed countries. Even so, as long as adjacent countries were not one of the choices, I’m pretty confident I would have done well.

15. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    19/20

Love geography. The results(scores) though are "terrifying" as H so well put.

So much more I could comment on but it would only open a can o' political worms.

16. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

19/20 ( Missed Sweden - Doh! ) I'm no wiz at geography, but if I can get 95% on this test, then the survey results are pretty damn depressing.

- Walter.