National Geographic Finds Woman After 17 Years Of Searching. She's In Afganistan

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kline, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

So, when's the biography and movie coming out? [​IMG]

3. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

Wow that is amazing and sad at the same time because of the life she has lived at such a young age.
    I remember seeing that picture on TV 4 or 5 months ago and they talked to the photographer and at that time he assumed she was probably dead.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

4. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Thanks for posting that. An incredible story.

5. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Thats cool! Ive actually got that issue [​IMG]

6. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

It was nice to see the following:

7. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

When I saw your topic I knew right away it was about the green eyed girl. It would be nice if she and her family could be getting a little benefit from the popularity of that image.

Jim

8. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I don't get all the hubub over the picture. Granted, I didn't have a subscription in 1984 and wasn't able to read the accompanying article, but I have had a subscription since 1991 and can say I've seen several covers more stunning over the years than this girl's face. And for USA Today to equate the image with that of the flag raising at Iwo Jima is just plain silliness.

9. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

I don't think they look at all similar, meself. Different noses, different eye socket shapes.

Just me, though.

10. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

Interesting reading...I will look for the April issue...

TK

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

wow, they found an Afghani woman, IN Afghanistan! [​IMG]
    actually there was a blurb on the news tonight about it.. interesting story and a lot of luck on the photogropher's part.

12. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yeah, if only they could find that Bin Laden guy in Afghanistan, now... [​IMG]
    Hmmm, I get National Geographic, must go search for the article in April's mag. I'm always so behind as I have no time to read the gazillion magazines I get..
    Jay

13. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

I would almost prefer not to see her as she appears today. Seventeen years have been hard. Regardless of the story, this photo is an icon. It may be to magazine cover portraiture what the Mona Lisa is to art history.

The original is haunting and mysterious. The recent one may itself stand as a symbol of the relentless wearing down of down the people of Afganistan.

To avoid culture shock it would perhaps be best if she were to again melt into the background of Afgan society.

14. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

I think it's an incredible story in the fact that she is still alive. The past 17 years in Afghanistan haven't exactly been a walk in the park for these people. To find her still alive is beating the odds.

15. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

16. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I saw the special--very interesting. Some experts did an anlysis of the woman's iris from the pictures and determined that she is indeed the same woman. An amazing and poignant story of the plight of refugees.

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I am amused that as of this writing, the USA Today link takes you to an article with the following headline:
    "Salukis say goodnight to Red Raiders"
    [​IMG]
    If this is the National Geographic cover photo I am thinking of, meaning the young lady with the famous green eyes, I read a good story about it recently. As an alum of Penn State, I get all sorts of Penn State news by e-mail and regular mail, and it turns out the photographer is a Penn State grad. I read his story about taking that photo recently. If I can find a link, I'll post it.

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Regarding the photographer who took the National Geographic cover photo in question, I found the following in an e-mail message on March 13th from the Penn State Newswire, a daily e-mail service of Penn State news:
    DID YOU KNOW World-famous photojournalist Steve McMurry, who photographed the renowned image of the Afghan girl with the haunting green eyes for the June 1985 cover of National Geographic, is a 1974 Penn State graduate? McMurry and National Geographic recently concluded a search for the girl, Sharbat Gula, and currently feature her in a then-and-now segment for the magazine's latest issue. McMurry, a former photographer for The Daily Collegian who earned his bachelor's degree in theatre, was the 1999 recipient of the Alumni Fellow Award from Penn State's College of Arts and Architecture. For more on McMurry and this story, visit
    http://www.nationalgeographic.com .