What's new

National Film Registry Inductees for 2022...vote for change!!! What great films do YOU want to see? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
There are many films that come to mind, what films would YOU like to see brought into the National Film Registry? For preservation and hopefully restoratioin as well. They seem to be motovated towards this end, and may be the perect light to shine on many films that are not getting a fair shake. What movies do you want to see be reccognised as a film of worth, a movie that may not be Gone with the Wind or The Wizard of Oz, but you feel "Attached" to the film, that really touched you and made your life a little better, a little happier...

There seems to be a lot of interest in "Invaders from Mars" 1953, in the Wade Williams Collection. One of the theads was talking about the yearly release of the new films being added to the National Film Registry. I thought why not IFM...they added "Forbidden Planet"?
I'm not seeing any movment anywhere. If some one could ask all of those wanting to support the title as a possibility canadate title for 2022 add ons to be inducted into the National Film Archives, it might create enough energy or an opportunity to have a real restoration done on it?

Anyway, I submited my favorite Invaders from Mars and few other neglected films as possible inductees!! What do you think?
hereis the link for submission - https://www.research.net/r/national-fim-registry-nomination-form

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Most people will think that I'm kidding but Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! and Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls are brilliant (in their own way) movies and they helped pave the way for future independent and exploitation films so they're easily deserving of entry. From this century, certainly Zodiac, Mulholland Drive and most of Pixar's catalog all belong in there.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Thanks but that's gone, and I'm opening up discussion on this years 2022 inductees. We all have an opprtunity to have a voice in submitting our favorite titles up for submission. This is a chance to have our voices heard by the Natioanl Film Archives, in order to spotlight the films that are not been given the love and attention they deserve. The deadline for submissions is Aug 15th 2022. Again the form is here and you can nominater up to 50 films...now's your chance!!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Thanks but that's gone, and I'm opening up discussion on this years 2022 inductees. We all have an opprtunity to have a voice in submitting our favorite titles up for submission. This is a chance to have our voices heard by the Natioanl Film Archives, in order to spotlight the films that are not been given the love and attention they deserve. The deadline for submissions is Aug 15th 2022. Again the form is here and you can nominater up to 50 films...now's your chance!!
Do they just want US films?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Do they just want US films?
I think there are after the saving and archiving of film, all film, domestic and international. See for yourself the reasoning behind it, and also the opportunity we all have to voice our option and be able to submit the movies we want to save in the NFA.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I've been petitioning for MAD MAD WORLD for years, but apparently there are too many white people and too much entertainment value to appease their "woke" requirements. Ulmer's THE BLACK CAT is another omission that is totally baffling.
Here’s a perfect chance to have your voice heard. No need for continued frustration, when you have a chance to actually put it down on a list that matters. No need for further complaining when you add it directly to submission at the national film archives for 2022. You’re not alone here, you’re not the only one in the room frustrated with the lack of attention to some of your favorite films… Go for it!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I nominated many of the "B Grade" Drive-in movies from the 50s thru 60s. Most of these appear in the Wade Williams Collection and some from the AIP catalog. But these are my period favorites. Posting this thread was to offer that opportunity to share beyond this forum, and have YOUR voice heard and by your submission to the NFR, just might be heard by someone else that can take up the tourch and come in with the gold!!
Just saying, there is a difference between complaining about it and acting on it...
with possibility of success, right? :cheers:

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I've been petitioning for MAD MAD WORLD for years, but apparently there are too many white people and too much entertainment value to appease their "woke" requirements. Ulmer's THE BLACK CAT is another omission that is totally baffling.
Black Cat with Bela & Boris was a rarity, and the torcher scene still makes my skin crawl!!

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
Wow. What exactly do you mean?

Putting aside the incorrect use of the term "woke", where do you see anything in their requirements for anything other than a film that (this is from the website's FAQ): deemed "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant" that are recommended for preservation by those holding the best elements for that film, be it motion picture studios, the Library of Congress and other archives, or filmmakers.

There are several films already named to the Registry that would not be considered among the most artistic but are certainly entertaining such as Duck Soup (1933) and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948). There are several films that have offensive content such as The Birth of a Nation (1915), Gone with the Wind (1939) and The Jazz Singer (1927). There are avant-garde films and animation. The idea of the registry is to include all types of films and all types of filmmakers. What they have been attempting to do (especially in the last few years) is to include works that have been overlooked by the traditionally accepted canon of American film history. Is this so offensive?

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger

Putting aside the incorrect use of the term "woke", where do you see anything in their requirements for anything other than a film that (this is from the website's FAQ): deemed "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant" that are recommended for preservation by those holding the best elements for that film, be it motion picture studios, the Library of Congress and other archives, or filmmakers.

There are several films already named to the Registry that would not be considered among the most artistic but are certainly entertaining such as Duck Soup (1933) and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948). There are several films that have offensive content such as The Birth of a Nation (1915), Gone with the Wind (1939) and The Jazz Singer (1927). There are avant-garde films and animation. The idea of the registry is to include all types of films and all types of filmmakers. What they have been attempting to do (especially in the last few years) is to include works that have been overlooked by the traditionally accepted canon of American film history. Is this so offensive?

The films you cited were all inducted ages ago. Look at those which have been named in the last few years; a preponderance of independent movies and shorts and even home movies with emphasis on minority representation. Should these movies be excluded? Of course not, but when WATERMELON WOMAN and WHO KILLED VINCENT CHIN? make the list ahead of the two I named and many, many more--even BROADWAY MELODY, CIMARRON, CAVALCADE, MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY, THE GREAT ZIEGFELD and YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU, six of the first 11 Best Picture Oscar winners, haven't been chosen--then one has to agree that the criteria have become very sharply skewed.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Thank for the list, nice!!

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
The films you cited were all inducted ages ago. Look at those which have been named in the last few years; a preponderance of independent movies and shorts and even home movies with emphasis on minority representation. Should these movies be excluded? Of course not, but when WATERMELON WOMAN and WHO KILLED VINCENT CHIN? make the list ahead of the two I named and many, many more--even BROADWAY MELODY, CIMARRON, CAVALCADE, MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY, THE GREAT ZIEGFELD and YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU, six of the first 11 Best Picture Oscar winners, haven't been chosen--then one has to agree that the criteria have become very sharply skewed.
They pick 25 each year. That's not very many when you consider not only the output of Hollywood, but of the independent producers, newsreels, home movies and other significant orphan films. It's not sharply skewed at all when you look at the totality of the listing. If you look at the FAQ on the website (https://www.loc.gov/programs/nation...ard/film-registry/frequently-asked-questions/), you will see that they get an average of 2500 nomination suggestions each year. Last year they got 6100. They narrow that down to 25. The idea behind the registry is not popularity or artistry but to give an overview of American aesthetic and culture since the beginning of film.

There are 850 films on the list. Only 60 of those are by persons of color. Only 75 are directed or co-directed by women and I would assume that some of those two subsets overlap. American culture is not just films made by white people in the classic film era. It's great that they are considering films that have been previously overlooked. It's wonderful that our understanding of film history is expanding to include the people who were forced or kept out of the industry and written out of the histories.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Multiple posts removed and we probably should have removed several above last month. This stuff will not be tolerated and any further discussions about votes being along racial lines or decrying wokeness will be summarily removed. As will all quoting them.
Wokeness??? Really?? All this was ever about was letting people know that there was an opportunity to voice thier favorite movies directly to the LOC. And give voice to mute, give a chance to express themselves and the movies that they love. The chance to heard...this has more to do with sharing our love of film, and not some PC "Wokeness" quotient...this is only about telling the LOC the movies that you would love to see in ther next pantheon of films, end of story!! Anything beyond that is just SAD!!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wokeness??? Really?? All this was ever about was letting people know that there was an opportunity to voice thier favorite movies directly to the LOC. And give voice to mute, give a chance to express themselves and the movies that they love. The chance to heard...this has more to do with sharing our love of film, and not some PC "Wokeness" quotient...this is only about telling the LOC the movies that you would love to see in ther next pantheon of films, end of story!! Anything beyond that is just SAD!!!
A warning was posted, please, respect it. If you or anybody else have anything else to say about it then do so in PM to the moderator as any future posts regarding a posted moderator warning or the use of that word will be deleted along with thread bans issued.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^
Not really applicable: The National Film Registry historically has included only those films that were produced or co-produced by an American film company or individual, typically for theatrical release or recognized as a film through film festivals or film awards.

There are many films that come to mind, what films would YOU like to see brought into the National Film Registry? For preservation and hopefully restoration as well.

This is the first line in this thread and I'm wondering if most people know that the National Film Registry does not preserve or restore films themselves. Also, they accept suggestions for nomination, which is great, but they just want your titles, not your reasoning why, which is fine. I like the National Film Registry. I have found that every year there has been something for everyone on their list of 25. If you had a million people submit 25 recommendations each you'd have a million different lists.

If one doesn't know much about the NFR, they should read these FAQ's:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks