Nathan's hot dog eating contest results?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Eric_E, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

Was anyone able to watch this? It was supposed to be on ESPN here but it wasn't on today! [​IMG] I really wanted to watch Kobayashi do his thing. So were any of you able to see it? I have to know who won and the number of dogs! It's killing me!

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

3. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher

4. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    ..and the Fridge only ate 4 hot dogs... Seems like the Fridge is the SMART one of the group! [​IMG]

Jay

6. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

7. James T

James T Screenwriter

They showed this on the Score(CDN channel) and they said that some of the contestants claim that the winner was cheating because they saw a scar on his back. I can't remember what the reason for it is, but I'm sure others who saw the same program can jump in

8. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Here is the breakdown of results from the only website that I surf more than the HTF.

As for the controversy, here is an article on the theories. Taking out your stomach or parts of your intestine is pretty hardcore just to be the best hotdog eater. I have to agree with the opinion of one of the contestants: "If he did cheat, it would bring such disgrace to his country that it wouldn't be worth it."

I saw a documentary on TV that said the reason for his success is his mental control over his body. Everybody, big or small, has basically the same size stomach. There are a lot of folds in the stomach so it usually is like a deflated balloon. When it starts to fill then the folds and wrinkles just smooth out to increase volume. The problem is that the brain will sense the stomach getting full and will try to fight against it. The secret is in getting the brain to ignore these signals.

Takeru Kobayashi is not the only one capable of such ability but clearly he is the best. If my memory serves me right, another Japanese national won the contest the year before Kobayashi started competing.

9. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

I think the first year Japan started sending over contestants they took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. One winner was a tiny 100 lb woman.