Nate and Hayes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blu, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Has anyone any word on this often overlooked film that really showcases Tommy Lee Jones's swashbuckling acting?

I loved this film and the chick that was in it was a hottie! Ok so I'm a sucker for pirate movies anyway.....lol!

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Considering this one is a Paramount title, odds are we'll see it eventually. [​IMG]
    I remember liking this one a little back in 1983. Interesting note: Nate and Hayes was (co-) written by John Hughes!

3. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

This was one of my favorite movies as a kid! My grandfather had the disc on the RCA disc machine (I can't think of the name, but it came before LD). I've never seen this movie on VHS or LD, so I'm wondering if it has ever been released in those formats. I really hope Paramount gets to this soon, as it's a great adventure, and, yes, young Jenny Seagrove is indeed lovely.

4. Brad Vautrinot

Brad Vautrinot Stunt Coordinator

I have the LD release. It's a nice transfer. Unfortunately, it's full frame and devoid of extras.

Brad V.

5. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Very fun movie to watch. I would love to add it to my collection as well.

6. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Justin: That "RCA disc machine" was called CED (Capacitive Electronic Discharge, although most people say Capacitive Electronic Disc), or, very often, RCA Selectavision. It was a disc very much like a phono record that was read by a very tiny stylus. It was prone to skipping. Both video and sound quality were on a par with VHS. RCA dropped the format in the mid-eighties.

I remember this film but it's been a very long time since I've seen it. It was a fun flick - maybe I'll pick it up too.

7. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

"RCA Selectavision" That's what it was called! Thanks for the information, Alan. Yes, Selectavision was very similar to an LP, and the A/V quality was a bit better than VHS, but not by much. The machine worked well for a while, but it gave out many years ago and was not worth fixing. I wonder just how many of those they sold.

8. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Actually, Justin, a large number of CED machines were sold. You could easily buy or rent them. LD was very difficult to find. At the time I got into LD in 1983, CED was going strong with many available players and a large catalog of titles - it dwarfed LD. In fact, it was widely believed by the pundits of the day that LD would fail (it would have in this country were it not for Pioneer) and CED would go on to great success. No one at the time thought that things would turn out to be quite the opposite, although how successful LD became is a matter of opinion.