What's new

Nascar Thunder 2003 for PS2! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I know, I have been out of the loop for awhile but I am going to start this game from scratch tonight. I have been playing the heck out of Madden 2003 but now I am going to give Nascar some focus. Rudy, are you going to bump up your race %? Are you going to pro mode or staying in rookie? I am going to use John's settings, run 25% and race in rookie mode. I feel 5% is just too quick of a race. 25% and above is really challenging. It takes alot of patience. Last years version I was running 50% most of the time, but I am not going to do that this year, it was just way too long.

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
Yeah, I'm going to up it to 25% and keep it on rookie for another season. Maybe after this season, I'll up it to Veteran.

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
Hey Jeff, what system do you have Madden 2003 for? I have it for the PS2 and I'm getting ready to trade it in. Playing the AI after playing against real people just doesn't cut it anymore. Too many people online now quit when they are losing and it's to the point when I can't even finish a game online anymore.

Damien

Supporting Actor
i am having trouble staying on the road with veteran sliders and assits off, and i skid my tires way too fast making them deterioate rapidly, it's probably a matter of training...one little annoyance is that i wish ea would of put a blind spot button for the cockpit view. i'll just have to get some practice in....and what are the best tracks if you have time

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Rudy, I have it for the PS2. I like playing the AI though. And I have friends come over and play, it's a blast. I want to get online and play. I am not set up for it yet though. Maybe when I get online I'll let you know. I wont quit on you. I think that is weak. Take the loss like a man.

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
i am having trouble staying on the road with veteran sliders and assits off, and i skid my tires way too fast making them deterioate rapidly, it's probably a matter of training...one little annoyance is that i wish ea would of put a blind spot button for the cockpit view. i'll just have to get some practice in....and what are the best tracks if you have time
First off, since this is your 1st Nascar game, I would suggest starting on Rookie using ALL driver assists. Get the feel for the game before jumping in without any help. Also, if you are not using them, use the setups for the tracks that I posted. They will help tremendously. Also try switching to the Roof camera angle. It helped my control problems. Do the Thunder License training. It will take you through each track and coach you on the best ways to run. If you need anymore help, ask away. I'm normally on a couple times a day.

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
Rudy, I have it for the PS2. I like playing the AI though. And I have friends come over and play, it's a blast. I want to get online and play. I am not set up for it yet though. Maybe when I get online I'll let you know. I wont quit on you. I think that is weak. Take the loss like a man.
Well Jeff, I just found out that the demo you get with the NA lets you play as all 32 NFL teams online, so I may as well just get rid of the full version. How is your new career in Thunder going? Have you unlocked anything yet?

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Rudy I just started career mode last night. I am running 25% in rookie mode. Man is it hard and challenging. I actually used the car setups that you suggested and it worked great at Daytona. I actually took the pole, but quickly slipped back to 5th place. I ran there fo awhile but then clipped the wall which took alot of steam off my car. It slowed my car down and I started getting passed. I ended up placing 15th. When you get behind it is almost impossible to catch up. I guess I have not read my manual very good because I am confused on how to make my car faster and my pit crew better. Any tips?

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
What assists are you using during your career? I found that by turning Auto Braking OFF, I am able to get more speed out of the car. Almost 5 MPH faster at Daytona with the setups I posted. I was also able to complete some Lightning Challenges I wasn't able to before. To make your car go faster, you are going to have to spend $$ on R&D. If you have the $$, do it in the quickest amount of time(costs more, but is available quicker). Your pit crew makes most of its improvements during the offseason(almost like in Madden). As you get better though, you can hire better guys by letting some of your old crew go. Also try not to sign with sponsors who expect too much early on. You won't get any $$ that way. Also try using the Thunder License mode to your advantage. It teaches you what you need to know about the track.

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
I got my 1st Sponsor Package deal last night. I now drive the #1 Yellow Freight Chevy. I have to meet the following to get paid:

Finish in 20th place.
Qualify in 20th place.
Rank 15th in earnings.

I do all that and I get $835K a race. This game is awesome. I can't stop playing it.

Damien

Supporting Actor
a little bitch
one thing i don't like are the actual running graphics on xbox....the part animations, wrecks, and stadium designs are top notch...but they are made with obvious ps2 textures and is FILLED with jaggies.....i am playing a lot of rallisport now and the difference in the texture quality for the road is unbelivable...and it almost seems like a silent hill grain filter is turned on. i also think the replays are lacking since xbox has a hard drive, and the lack of a blind spot check button is annoying in fpviewpoint.

otherwise the game is really cool so far, especially the sponsers...but i still can't stay with the pack in career...i think i have to improve my car...but i would at least think buy the third race my car would be at least able to keep up with the other cars

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I think I am doing something wrong. I actually started my career over again. I am still in rookie mode, running 25% and all 36 races and all assists turned on. I think I am going to take off auto break though. The first race of the season I did really good. I took the pole at Daytona and ended up placing 7th. After that it has been all down hill. I have raced 5 more tracks and my best finish was like 23rd. I am ranked 30th in the points and just plain suck. I can't keep up with the other cars and am getting lapped by the leaders. I don't think I know what I am doing with that whole r & d option. I built a fourth engine and didn't mean to. All I want to do is to get more power out of my current engines. Any suggestions?

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
You have to do R&D to have more horsepower available. THen you do an overhaul of your old engines to get the new R&D stuff in them. Or you build a new engine. Then you need to make sure you're putting those into your car.

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
Exactly what Mike said. R&D both Engine Power & Efficiency to 2 before you do any of the others. Right after it tells you they are ready, either overhaul an engine or build a new one. In the early races, make sure you draft. You'll pick up extra speed that way. In my 2nd season of career(I messed up and didn't change to 25% yet), I'm currently 2nd in points and in 15 races, I have 2 poles, 3 wins, 5 Top 5's & 10 Top 10 finishes. Before each race, I always practice 1 or 2 laps before trying to qualify. Helps me get a better feel for the track. This game isn't as easy as 2002 was. It takes more patience this year. I didn't stop playing until 4 am this morning. Trying to get all the plates unlocked in between career mode. Only 3 more tracks to go.

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
Alternate Track Setups
Found some different track setups on Gamefaqs if anyone wants to try them out.
Atlanta
Tire PSI: 23
Fender Flare: 73 1/2
Rear Spoiler: 60°
Front Suspension: 40%
Rear Suspension: 25%
Sway Bar: 1/4
Wedge: 0
Gear Preset: 7
Bristol
Tire PSI: 15
Fender Flare: 75
Rear Spoiler: 70°
Rear Suspension: 60%
Gear Preset: 2
California
Tire PSI: 30
Fender Flare: 73
Front Suspension: 20%
Rear Suspension: 55%
Sway Bar: 1/8
Gear Preset: 8
Chicagoland
Tire PSI: 26
Rear Spoiler: 65°
Front Suspension: 50%
Rear Suspension: 50%
Gear Preset: 6
Change 4th Gear to 1.00
Darlington
Tire PSI: 22
Rear Spoiler: 77°
Rear Suspension: 65%
Sway Bar: 3/8
Gear Preset: 5
Daytona
Fender Flare: N/A
Rear Spoiler: N/A
Sway Bar: 7/8
Wedge: 2.0
Gear Preset: 9
Change Rear End to 3.95
Dover
Tire PSI: 20
Front Suspension: 30%
Rear Suspension: 65%
Sway Bar: 5/8
Wedge: 1
Gear Preset: 4
Homestead
Tire PSI: 25
Indianapolis
Change 4th Gear to 1.01
Infineon
Fender Flare: 74
Rear Spoiler: 75°
Front Suspension: 45%
Gear Preset: 3
Kansas
Tire PSI: 26
Change 4th Gear to 1.07
Las Vegas
Tire PSI: 24
Fender Flare: 74 1/2
Front Suspension: 35%
Change 4th Gear to 1/07
Lowes
Tire PSI: 24
Rear Suspension: 53%
Martinsville
Fender Flare: 76
Gear Preset: 1
Michigan
Front Suspension: 20%
Gear Preset: 8
New Hampshire
Tire PSI: 18
Change 4th Gear to 1.37
North Carolina
Tire PSI: 22
Fender Flare: 76
Wedge: 2
Change 4th Gear to 1.18
Phoenix
Fender Flare: 73.5
Pocono
Front Suspension: 35%
Rear Suspension: 45%
Richmond
Tire PSI: 19
Front Suspension: 55%
Rear Suspension: 45%
Sway Bar: 1/2
Change 4th Gear to 1.37
Talladega
Fender Flare: N/A
Rear Spoiler: N/A
Sway Bar: 7/8
Wedge: 2.0
Gear Preset:9
Change Rear End to 3.95
Texas
Tire PSI: 25
Fender Flare: 73 1/2
Watkins Glen
Sway Bar: 5/8

Mike_Stuewe

Stunt Coordinator
One of my first issues with the game is that you cannot save more than 8 different car setups. I would have liked to save at least 1 per track just for the ease of selecting car setups throughout a season.

Mike_Stuewe

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know how to get more songs unlocked. The game starts with 4 but in the music menu, says 16 more are available (unless I am reading it wrong). These 4 are starting to get boring, and the quality of ripping my own songs to the HDD is really poor. So if anybody knows, please throw down a reply :)
Thanks
Mike

Mike Pattee

Second Unit

I wonder why yours are low quailty. I instantly swapped out for 20 of my own songs and they were all great, just like they had been in the other games I had use them in.

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
First off, the game only has 4 song tracks. The other 16 are for you to use songs off of the HD. Secondly, you can save more than 8 track setups. I have all 23 track setups in 1 save file. It doesn't actually overwrite what you currently have in the setup save file, it adds what you have changed. All I did was choose Quick Race, pick a track, changed the car setup, accepted changes, then quit and moved on to the next track. Continue to do so until you are at the final track. Accept changes at the file track then choose Save Setup, and pick a save slot. All 23 in 1 :) Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks