What's new

NASCAR 3D at the IMAX (1 Viewer)

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Single largest global opening for Imax on March 12. Early professional reviews appear to rave.

Anyone else on this yet?

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Saw this today and even though I have never sat through a nascar race I was very impressed by it. Excelent 3d effect with the polarized glasses.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
I saw NASCAR 3D last week at the Luxor's IMAX theater in Las Vegas. Although I'm not a racing fan, I'm something of a 3D enthusiast, and I can say without reservation that this movie easily has the best 3D that I've ever seen. The director wisely uses the depth of each scene, instead of trying to make objects come out of the screen (which rarely works). POV and reverse-POV racing shots put the other cars right in front of you. Huge crowd shots are jaw-dropping for their incredible detail and depth of field.

With only a few exceptions, almost every shot works, with minimal eyestrain or consciously forced convergence of the left/right images. Even in relatively "boring" shots, the camera keeps moving to include objects at various distances from the viewer, without seeming contrived or gimmicky. My only complaint (and it's a minor one) is that during a few "backseat" POV shots, the windshield is in focus but the other cars are out of focus. Aside from that, the 3D is absolutely amazing.

Regarding the content of the film, I thought it focused too much on the history and technical aspects of racing, and not enough on actual (or enacted) racing footage. But like I said, even the boring stuff had incredible 3D, so the visuals are always interesting.

As a side note, the Luxor IMAX theater recently switched from using LCD shutter goggles to the simpler polarized glasses because they're easier to clean and maintain, according to an employee. I found the polarized glasses to be excellent, with minimal ghosting even when viewing from far off-center. (That's important, because you can't choose your seat in this theater.)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Wicked cool. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: We'll see, but this may very well stay on my top 10 list for 2004.

Joe, I actually enjoyed the racing history and technical information--that's exactly what elevated the picture above what I'm sure most people dismiss it as before seeing it (if ever): admittedly cool but ultimately repetitive footage of cars goin' 'round and 'round. Tidbits like showing the engines being tested in the labs, discussing the NASCAR car specs, crash analysis and mentioning that every engine is completely broken down after every race (news to me--wow!) was very interesting.

Kiefer did a good job on the voice over.

And MAN! The roar of that herd of cars thundering by in a sweeping pan around a curve in IMAX sound was bitchin'!

-p

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
We're showing this in the theater where I work. We're not a 3D theater so we're only showing it in 2D - like the left eye print or something.

It is very well made - but that damn plug for AOL for Broadband as if I'm sitting there wondering in horror that they might not have that on the truck is an insult to my intelligence!

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I saw this last week at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle. I don't follow NASCAR too much, but was very impressed with the film by itself, and also the fantastic 3D. I liked the content that focused on the history and technology almost as much as the racing footage. It's been awhile since I'd seen an IMAX film, but the sharpness and clarity of this format is amazing. With 3D, it's almost like you're actually there.

Brian

Mike_Stuewe

Stunt Coordinator
I loved the 3d when I saw it in Nashville over Easter break. But I enjoyed the sound of the engines even more. What an amzing IMax film. Does anyone kwow how much longer this will run in the theaters? The closest Imax 3d theater to Cleveland is in Columbus and I want to head down sometime in june.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
It's 98% amazing; the best IMAX 3-D yet.

There were a few troublesome shots, but for the most part the effect is shockingly good.

Glad to hear that Luxor switched to polarized glasses, but those visiting Las Vegas may want to see the film at the Palms IMAX instead....the theatre is far better, larger, and you can sit where you want. The Luxor theatre isn't ideal, but the Palms IMAX is excellent.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
It's been there since August 2003.

NERD ALERT: I went to their first IMAX showing of The Matrix Reloaded when they opened it back in August. I also saw Alien: The Director's Cut (in blown up 35mm) and Matrix Revolutions (IMAX print) there too. :)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban hits IMAX day and date with the regular theatrical release on June 4th, so it looks like you might not be able to make it.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I saw it in Providence, RI.

The control of DOF is really neat. I did find it took some time to get used to it. You can control where in the depth of field you are focusing (just like real life).

I give it two :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks