What's new

Nascar 2006 (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

Very good. My wife hates NBC's coverage, especially Benny Parsons. And I swear everytime they took a break soemthing happened.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I can go the rest of my life without hearing "boogity boogity boogity" ever again.

This weekends race was pretty dull. If Nascar wants to branch out into new venues and markets, I hope they do away with these cookie-cutter tracks. I'm tired of seeing races taken away from places like Rockingham and Darlington and given to the California's or Kansas City's or Chicagoland's and you end up with boring, single-file racing. If you want to expand into big money markets, fine, but at least build tracks that are conducive to racing and not to corporate boxes. As it stands now, it seems Nascar has to manufacture close races with cautions for "debris" with five laps to go.

Bruce

Kevin G.

Second Unit

Thank you, Bruce!!!!
I'm so tired of DW, I could shit!
Only caught a couple laps this week, California is such a boring race, even on my "Nascar 2003" PC game, you get opened up and just run. The only exciting part is the re-starts.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Bill Webber makes me miss Fox, while DW, Larry Mac and Chris Meyers make me pine for NBC. What's a NASCAR fan to do?

By the way, I was watching Inside Nextel Cup and Jeff Burton was subbing for both Vickers and Waltrip. When this guy retires, he's going to be a first class commentator. He's well-spoken, doesn't shout and knows his shit.

Actually, I wish he'd be a permanent replacement for Vickers.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Damn!!!! Whatta race!!!!
Jimmie does it again... Well, I feel for Kenseth, he's a standup guy. But a "W" for Lowe's is a "W", none the less.

Looks good on Mark Martin's front too. I'd like to see him do well again this year.

Anybody know what Zip's problem was this week? I heard Kyle Bush made some remarks but haven't heard what they were.

Steve Kuester

Second Unit
Yeah, congrats to the 48 team. Jimmie Johnson really does annoy me, but there's no denying that team has their act together.

Kevin, who is Zip? If you are referring to Stewart's crew chief, I was unaware of any issues he had with Kyle Busch. I know Stewart had issues with Kyle, but that was just the same ol' Stewart being pissy because some driver doesn't get out of his way. I remember last season Stewart put the 24 in the wall, and after the race, Stewart mentioned that Mark Martin should give a seminar to all drivers on how to be courteous and let a faster driver go. Maybe Mark should give Tony a seminar on how to not run people over or try to cause a wreck because someone won't let you go by after just a half a lap.

Speaking of Martin, things are looking good so far this year. He's led laps in all 3 races so far this year. That's a good sign for him. I'm pretty excited for this year.

What do you guys think about Vegas possibly getting another cup date? The owner of LVMS says he has standing offers to the owners of Dover, Pocono, and New Hampshire. If he aquires one of these tracks (all have 2 races each) he will move a date to Vegas. I like the races at Dover, but I don't think it would be the end of the world for either New Hampshire or Pocono to lose one date.

Looking ahead to Atlanta, will Newman make it 7 poles in a row?

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I wouldn't mind them losing a New Hampshire race. Poetic justice for losing North Wilksboro.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
New England NASCAR fans thank you all for your willingness to sacrifice half our races from the region's only track.

Kevin G.

Second Unit

Yeah, Zipandelli, or whatever...
I listened to BUBBA on Sirius aon the way home from work on Monday, and they have some insider on Smoke's team...He said on the flight home from Vegas, Zip was so mad he wouldn't talk to anyone... couldn't even see straight.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I mentioned this in another thread. But, its probably better mentioned here. I am hoping someone may know the answer.
I was able to get vip passes to both the premier and after-party for the new Will Ferrell Nascar comedy "Talladega Nights". I don't know where & when it will be. Except that it will be the first week in August. I know the movie premiers Aug.4. My question is this. The weekend before the opening is an off week for Nascar (July 29). I am wondering if they are going to try to work the premier to have as many Nascar drivers and people there at the opening? I know Will has been helping with their Nascar Day charity. So I assume they will help with his movie, especially since its Nascar based.
I just hope my wife remains calm if Dale Jr is there. :rolleyes

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ryan Newmans my boy.

"I can go the rest of my life without hearing "boogity boogity boogity" ever again."

My band has a song "Boogity Boogity" which our guatauitarist still refuses to call it - becuase he hates it so much:)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I think the most likely track to lose one race so the Las Vegas Motor Speedway can get a second race will be Pocono. The reason is simple: both the New Hampshire International Speedway and the Dover International Speedway sell out both their Nextel Cup dates relatively easily.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Makes sense. Pocono might have an easier time if its dates weren't so close to each other.

Steve Kuester

Second Unit
Todd, that's pretty cool about going to the movie premiere. I've always been somewhat curious as to how people get passes to those sorts of things. Did you get lucky, do you know someone in the bidness, or are you some sort of big-shot that I was unaware of?

True. That and both races are 500 milers. 400 miles would be plenty at Pocono. I do enjoy watching the races there, but 500 miles is a long time.

Back to the Boogity, Boogity thing... It's never bothered me the way I know it does some people. I don't even really notice it since it just takes a second or so at the beginning of the race. Now if he said it throughout the race whenever there was a pass for the lead... THAT would give me some trouble.

Anybody else think that Nextel commercial with Carl and Mark is as funny as I do? "Fernando, you're on."

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff

I think you are right Ray...unfortunately. I really like the Pocono races. I am in the minority though. The unique shape and the fact that each turn has a different radius and banking make it an awesome track. And I always liked it when they used to use an overdrive 4th gear and shift. I don't think they do that any more.

As for the earlier comment on the coverage of HOF Racing and Terry Labonte's poor start, it really isn't a big story. It's well known that Labonte was recruited only because HOF is a new team and has no owner points. Terry is guaranteed a starting spot each week by virtue of the past champion's provisional. They have a young driver (can't remember his name) slated to take over in a few races after owner's points are accumulated. Terry did make the Vegas on speed though.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff

I don't know who Bubba is (I have XM),but is this the best their "insider" could come up with? Zippy was mad after the Vegas race? I don't think you need to be inside the 20 camp to get that info.

Kevin G.

Second Unit

"Bubba, The Love Sponge" Part of Howard's Radio Network. Similar vein of Talk show, based out of Tampa... Got booted off terrestrial radio I think. But he's kind of into Nascar, and talks to drivers and crews...
And that wasn't the topic of the whole show...I was just curious what the hullaballoo was all about.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
The main reason why I think Pocono may lose its second date is the fact this track is actually quite boring to watch a real race. I've seen NASCAR races on TV there and it's a good substitute for Nytol. :thumbsdown:

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
They need more deer jumping onto the track at Pocono. I think that would guarantee them to keep both dates.

I would like to see Vegas get another race, especially after they add the banking. I didn't think racing at Las Vegas was all that good until these past two years. The last two races there have been quite a bit better and more exciting than the first few. Add in banking and that track should become another Atlanta.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks